Interview Rescheduling???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbess123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wondering about the interview process. When school's extend an invitation to you do they give you multiple dates you can come or do they only give you one date? Along with that can you reschedule an interview date to another time? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I wondering about the interview process. When school's extend an invitation to you do they give you multiple dates you can come or do they only give you one date? Along with that can you reschedule an interview date to another time? Thanks for the help.

Depends on the schools. Some will give you multiple dates and you pick one. Some will email you with an invitation and a date. You can ask to reschedule (never did this myself, so idk how "bad" it looks), and some some schools will give you an alternate interview date in your invitation email if you can't make it to the original one.

Yeah that is what I was worried about. I don't want to say I need to reschedule cause it looks bad. Thanks for the heads up though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that is what I was worried about. I don't want to say I need to reschedule cause it looks bad. Thanks for the heads up though.

I mean if you have another ds interview on that day and that school contacted you first, they can't get upset. But I'm sure it's a common occurrence if people applied to a variety of schools and are getting multiple interviews.

Good luck

i was wondering if whether you schedule an interview you can call back and see whether earlier dates have opened up ( i.e. someone canceled or declined or something)?? or is this also a taboo?

i was wondering if whether you schedule an interview you can call back and see whether earlier dates have opened up ( i.e. someone canceled or declined or something)?? or is this also a taboo?

Hmm, that's an interesting question. I've never considered that myself. I don't think it would hurt to try, especially if you have a legit excuse (like an interview at another school in the same city or state). I would figure that the schools would just pick someone else to interview from their applicant pool the day someone declined the invitation but it's possible that people cancel within days before the interview.

Hmm, that's an interesting question. I've never considered that myself. I don't think it would hurt to try, especially if you have a legit excuse (like an interview at another school in the same city or state). I would figure that the schools would just pick someone else to interview from their applicant pool the day someone declined the invitation but it's possible that people cancel within days before the interview.

I would not say an interview at another school is a "legit" excuse...if you told a school that is why you wanted to reschedule, you might ass well.show them your middle finger. As for calling to see if earlier dates have opened up, some schools actually encourage this. Case called me telling me that earlier times have opened if I wanted to reschedule...

I would not say an interview at another school is a "legit" excuse...if you told a school that is why you wanted to reschedule, you might ass well.show them your middle finger. As for calling to see if earlier dates have opened up, some schools actually encourage this. Case called me telling me that earlier times have opened if I wanted to reschedule...

Is there something wrong with "legit"? Not trying to sound defensive,I'm honestly curious. It might be one of those east coast things lol.

I mean what else would you do though, esp if you already made travel plans? You really don't think the schools would understand that you had an invitation and accepted and paid for travel/lodging expenses? I never had to reschedule, but they may not even ask for a reason. If that's the case, you don't need to tell them why.

Last edited:
Is there something wrong with "legit"? Not trying to sound defensive,I'm honestly curious. It might be one of those east coast things lol.

I mean what else would you do though, esp if you already made travel plans? You really don't think the schools would understand that you had an invitation and accepted and paid for travel/lodging expenses? I never had to reschedule, but they may not even ask for a reason. If that's the case, you don't need to tell them why.

Sorry I think I misunderstood you, I thought you meant you scheduled an interview at school A first, then school B decided to offer you an interview on the same day as.school A...and you wanted to ask school A to reschedule so you could attend school B'a interview...

But anyways, the way you explained it sounds fine, I just wouldn't say anything about another school. Make something else up, maybe.

Sorry I misunderstood you the first time

Sorry I think I misunderstood you, I thought you meant you scheduled an interview at school A first, then school B decided to offer you an interview on the same day as.school A...and you wanted to ask school A to reschedule so you could attend school B'a interview...

But anyways, the way you explained it sounds fine, I just wouldn't say anything about another school. Make something else up, maybe.

Sorry I misunderstood you the first time

No problem. I didn't specify travel expenses in the other posts so I can see where the confusion came from.