Interview #'s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcjay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a very good MCAT (31) and a 3.9. However, after finishing 29 secondaries I have only gotten 4 interviews: University of Colorado, Vanderbilt, Emory, and Drexel.

Is there anyone else out there in the same position?

Also, is it too late to hope for more interviews?

Heeelp me

Thanks!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't call that 31 "very good," I'd call it average for matriculants. What kind of EC's do you have?

A 31 is good. The average accepted MCAT score is lower than 30, maybe even lower than 27. I don't remember exactly. Did you turn in your apps late? That really could have affected things. Vanderbilt and Emory are excellent schools. It is a really good thing they interviewed you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember the average MCAT for matriculants is around 29 at least for last year.

Those numbers are good and if you would have applied in June you would have had many more interviews. It's all because you applied late.

Matriculant average is in fact 29.6, but no one gets in on MCAT/GPA alone.

I have tons of activities such as research, EMT work, phlebotomy work, community service, leadership positions, etc.. Also, I am a double major: molecular bio and biochem with a certificate in neuroscience. i feel that my personal statement was stong, but does it even matter until the intervie?

Do you think that my MCAT is just not high enough?

:scared:

I know that schools offer more acceptances than the number that actually matriculate. I wanted to know if you guys had any idea if there is a site that has the number of "acceptances" each school offers, not just the interviews given and the number enrolled in each class.

nope. 31 is sufficient by any standards. Like the previous posters said, you would have more success if you applied in June.

Since you have plenty of EC's, you shouldn't have any problems. Just be patient and more interviews will come.

Originally posted by mcjay
I have tons of activities such as research, EMT work, phlebotomy work, community service, leadership positions, etc.. Also, I am a double major: molecular bio and biochem with a certificate in neuroscience. i feel that my personal statement was stong, but does it even matter until the intervie?

Do you think that my MCAT is just not high enough?

:scared:

no its not your mcat at all. i have the same mcat (doubles across) and have a much lower gpa than you and have gotten 5 invites.

if you applied late, that could have been a factor in you getting what you think is a small amount of interviews. most people pray for one interview, but you have been blessed with 4 interviews at respectable places...i really dont think you have to be worrying about not getting more interviews.

Originally posted by mcjay
I know that schools offer more acceptances than the number that actually matriculate. I wanted to know if you guys had any idea if there is a site that has the number of "acceptances" each school offers, not just the interviews given and the number enrolled in each class.

go to the search function...

put in the keywords: all applied

and put in the member name brettp11

I loved the way the first reply in this thread was a comment that aimed to knock the person down a notch. Haha.

A 31 in combo w/ a 3.9 is great. Good work!

Members don't see this ad :)
y'all rule!!!

thanks so much and best luck:)

Hey,

I'm in the same boat with better numbers, and 3 interviews. I'm ready to accept defeat with some schools, but still hoping for an interview to trickle along.

Good Luck

In the absence of any acceptances, I think all of us would like to get more than four interviews. But I have to say, considering the invitations you've received, you're not doing too bad at all! Just concentrate on preparing for the interviews you have left and hopefully you will get some more...

I have a lower mcat than you (30), and a lower gpa (3.68), but I've had 20 interviews...it's a crap shot they all say. And I have been accepted into 6 places so far; waiting for the rest now.

33-O
3.7 (BS Chemistry)
2 interviews (invited in October/November, interviewed December)
2 acceptances (January)
no other interview invites (2 pre-interview holds)
don't expect to get any more.
I think a lot of people are in the same boat. It may be a function of:
1. When you applied
2. Where you applied
3. The luck of the draw

Don't feel bad because your 4 interviews are a lot compared to mine :)

Originally posted by bongsen
I have a lower mcat than you (30), and a lower gpa (3.68), but I've had 20 interviews...it's a crap shot they all say. And I have been accepted into 6 places so far; waiting for the rest now.

WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!?!?!?!?! what's your secret? i mean when did you apply and stuff?

I was an August MCATer and I have a 32 and 3.76 GPA. I've been getting interviews at schools I mostly DON'T want to attend.
I've already had interviews at UF, USF, and USHUS, turned down an interview to MCW and got an invite to Tulane today. So I think that 4 interviews is pretty good and yes, there is still hope. Since the beginning of February I've gotten 2 invites. Don't give up hope until March rolls around. Still waiting for Emory, Northwestern, and Mt. Sinai (sob)!

Where all did you apply? What I mean is that though the average is 29.6 for all matriculants some medical schools have averages up in the 35, 36, 37 range. It might depend on where you applied. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the 31 or the GPA. Sounds like you have done a stellar job. But, out of curiosity, where all did you apply?

Overall, I would have to say, what I regret most is messing up my april mcat, which forced me to take the august one. Rolling or not, no one can disagree with the fact that august mcat'ers are definitely at a disadvantage.

i applied all across the board. I did my best to even out schools based on MCAT scores. I applied to some top schools( i.e. stanford, yale), but I also included lower MCAT schools such as Drexel and Vermont. There were 29 total after secondaries. I felt I had the whole range of MCAT scores in my choices.

I'm still going to go with you must have turned your stuff in late cause a wide range of schools and the number that you applied to and with your scores you should have had many more interviews. My numbers are much less than yours and I ended up with 8/14 interviews.

I have a 3.9 gpa and a 35 MCAT. I only have 3 interviews. But I do have one acceptance (Creighton) which I just got so I am excited. I also applied late (i turned in my AMCAS in october).

yeah well as for me even though i had a 30 mcat and 3.6 gpa, i still applied to very competitive schools...have had interviews at hopkins/yale/upenn/columbia/mayo clini/baylor/vanderbilt, etc.

i did mcats in april, applied and did all 2ndaries by the end of summer (highly recommended), interviewed all fall.

30 mcat 3.6 gpa and 18 interviews here

applying june 3rd made a difference.

31 is an amazing score, don't listen to these *****s.

Originally posted by bongsen
yeah well as for me even though i had a 30 mcat and 3.6 gpa, i still applied to very competitive schools...have had interviews at hopkins/yale/upenn/columbia/mayo clini/baylor/vanderbilt, etc.

i did mcats in april, applied and did all 2ndaries by the end of summer (highly recommended), interviewed all fall.

What is your secret? I also did MCATs in April. Did you have some amazing ECs? What was the theme of your personal statement?

My personal statement I wrote about one of my extracurric EC, a fellowship where I got to work w/ a non-profit over the past summer doing a nutritional health public awareness initiative. At the same time I was working in a lab too that I had been working in for the past 3 summers, doing clinical research. Other than that, I have two organizations that I am very active in during the school year - somehow they take up too much of my time --- so I am hoping this made up for somewhat "lower than normal" grades at the top tier institutions.

I did get asked once about my grades and why my MCAT score was lower than the "typical applicant", but I just stood by my score and did not make any bad excuse --- I don't do that.

As for my 15 EC's, I felt strongly about them all --- I never thought about how many I needed to have for med school -- somehow the past 3 years of college gave me plenty of time to do at least 15 things that I really felt very strongly about --- that I did w/o the thought of "resume building".