Mclovin0351

It makes sense if you don't think about it
May 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Situation: It is highly likely I will have the opportunity to attend a 3 month military school starting in late October. This school is extremely demanding and the only free time is typically from Friday evening (think 8pm, not 5pm) until Sunday evening. The school has been a lifelong dream of mine however I do not want it to impede my chances of getting into medical school, my number one priority. I have already scheduled 6 interviews to be completed by early October, however I am worried about this military school conflicting with later interviews. In a perfect world, I will receive an acceptance to my number one medical school on October 15th (it is one of my early interviews), but that is unlikely.

Question: Does anybody have experience similar to this situation who can comment how receptive admissions was to scheduling unusual interview situations? Again this military school has been a lifelong dream, but if I think it will absolutely stop me from getting into medical school I will turn it down.

xffan624

5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Situation: It is highly likely I will have the opportunity to attend a 3 month military school starting in late October. This school is extremely demanding and the only free time is typically from Friday evening (think 8pm, not 5pm) until Sunday evening. The school has been a lifelong dream of mine however I do not want it to impede my chances of getting into medical school, my number one priority. I have already scheduled 6 interviews to be completed by early October, however I am worried about this military school conflicting with later interviews. In a perfect world, I will receive an acceptance to my number one medical school on October 15th (it is one of my early interviews), but that is unlikely.

Question: Does anybody have experience similar to this situation who can comment how receptive admissions was to scheduling unusual interview situations? Again this military school has been a lifelong dream, but if I think it will absolutely stop me from getting into medical school I will turn it down.
Are you currently active duty? If so, there may be some wiggle room. Otherwise, you should not anticipate schools accommodating you. I was even active duty and stationed in a foreign country on the other side of the world and still expected to come to in person interviews for all of my interviews. Most interviews are not on Saturdays and very few situations allow skyping (think an actual deployment) and it still will likely require you to be available during normal business hours. It's impossible to predict if you will get interviews during this period, but I can predict that most schools will not be able to accommodate your extremely restrictive requirements and will either offer you an interview date after your military school concludes or just offer their dates and you take them or leave them.

OP
Mclovin0351

Mclovin0351

It makes sense if you don't think about it
May 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I am in the reserves but if I attend the school I will be on active-duty status. Thanks for the input @xffan624. Hoping to get some more invites before, there's also the chance a later school date will open up which would be ideal.