Interview Season Soon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzywuz

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have some schools that I'd love to interview at. My dream school still hasn't sent anything to me yet. I'm thinking of sending over a letter of interest to them.

Would it be okay to do that at this point? I'm VERY interested in Cornell. To my understanding, they end interview around Feb. I just want to make sure I get the timing right and don't go overboard in terms of contents.

I guess my plan is to talk about my interest in the school, give an update of what I'm doing now, and really try and convince them of my genuine interest in the school. Anything else I should add or take out?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So I have some schools that I'd love to interview at. My dream school still hasn't sent anything to me yet. I'm thinking of sending over a letter of interest to them.

Would it be okay to do that at this point? I'm VERY interested in Cornell. To my understanding, they end interview around Feb. I just want to make sure I get the timing right and don't go overboard in terms of contents.

I guess my plan is to talk about my interest in the school, give an update of what I'm doing now, and really try and convince them of my genuine interest in the school. Anything else I should add or take out?

Thanks!!

I'd wait until Christmas break. That way you're fresh in their minds after break when they read it.

I'd wait until Christmas break. That way you're fresh in their minds after break when they read it.
i worry that if you wait til then, then they will have given out their spots for january and maybe part of february because the holidays are no time for adcom meetings :) i would send next week probably, and hope to hear maybe something back before the holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
With regards to Cornell specifically I got an invite from them in Jan (1st or 2nd week I think) for a Feb date. Couldn't tell you for sure if they had decided on this before or after the holidays but my sense was that they came back in the New Year and decided to see if there was anyone left they wanted to see and give em a chance towards the end of the process.
Good Luck

Thanks! I will definitely consider these suggestions, appreciate it!

Would it be excessive to hand deliver my LOI? I have a meeting at the hospital next week, I figure I can swing by to deliver it...

I don't ever think showing interest is bad or overkill. I hand delivered my letter of interest to my top choice school and was offered an interview the following week. And I did this in October!!!

I say go for it. It worked for me.... andhHang in there... the interview season is far from over.

Addi

As long as the school specifically says they do not want updates of any kind (i.e. Albany), it certainly can't hurt. May not necessarily help, but it's worth the shot. Don't sound too desperate in the letter though.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just curious, who do you normally address the LOI to? Dean of Admissions or interview coordinator?

I sent mine to the director of admissions personal email- I got my interview at that school within 4 hours of hitting the send button... not sure if they had looked at my file or not but I was in line for review for 6 weeks when i sent it