interview season?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjw0918

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how soon one can expect interviews if you submit ERAS on Sept 1...any thoughts? Different from program to program?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

cjw0918 said:
Just wondering how soon one can expect interviews if you submit ERAS on Sept 1...any thoughts? Different from program to program?
Thanks

This thread was last year's "Interview" thread. People posted when they got interview invites, might be interesting to read. Overall it kind of varied.

I got my first interview the week after I submitted my ERAS (I submitted a few days after 9/1). By the end of September I think I had 6-7. By the end of October I had all but 2 or 3. Got the last invite middle of november. It happens a bit earlier than other specialties, so I would try to submit before too much of september goes by. Only a couple of programs wait until your entire application is in before they send out their answers. It definitely differs from program to program though. Some assess every application as it comes in and decide very quickly to interview or not. Some wait until they get a certain number, then decide on those. Some wait until applications are complete or at least have certain important thinigs.

Interviews themselves can start as early as early october (I don't know of any september interviews). My first was middle of october. They run the new year. Some programs stop interviewing in January, some go until the end of february. It will all become clearer soon! Hopefully you will all post your interview invites this season too, it helps other people know which programs are sending out invites (or rejections).

yaah said:
This thread was last year's "Interview" thread. People posted when they got interview invites, might be interesting to read. Overall it kind of varied.

I got my first interview the week after I submitted my ERAS (I submitted a few days after 9/1). By the end of September I think I had 6-7. By the end of October I had all but 2 or 3. Got the last invite middle of november. It happens a bit earlier than other specialties, so I would try to submit before too much of september goes by. Only a couple of programs wait until your entire application is in before they send out their answers. It definitely differs from program to program though. Some assess every application as it comes in and decide very quickly to interview or not. Some wait until they get a certain number, then decide on those. Some wait until applications are complete or at least have certain important thinigs.

Interviews themselves can start as early as early october (I don't know of any september interviews). My first was middle of october. They run the new year. Some programs stop interviewing in January, some go until the end of february. It will all become clearer soon! Hopefully you will all post your interview invites this season too, it helps other people know which programs are sending out invites (or rejections).

bit confused here...at U of Michigan, Deans letters are mailed out (or posted on ERAS) on November 1st. and my understanding is that applications are not complete unless the Deans letters are part of the applications. how can people get interviews when application files are not completed? or is the whole november 1st thing just a U of Michigan thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:
bit confused here...at U of Michigan, Deans letters are mailed out (or posted on ERAS) on November 1st. and my understanding is that applications are not complete unless the Deans letters are part of the applications. how can people get interviews when application files are not completed? or is the whole november 1st thing just a U of Michigan thing?

Well, the November 1 mailing out of deans letters is a universal (or at least, through the united states allopathic institutions which constitute the bulk of the known universe) practice.

Many programs will start offering interviews prior to receipt of the deans letter. In fact I completed one interview before the program even got my deans letter. Michigan is one program, I think, that waits until the whole thing is in before offering interviews. Most though, do not. Most don't even wait for all of your LORs or even your transcript.

yaah said:
Well, the November 1 mailing out of deans letters is a universal (or at least, through the united states allopathic institutions which constitute the bulk of the known universe) practice.

Many programs will start offering interviews prior to receipt of the deans letter. In fact I completed one interview before the program even got my deans letter. Michigan is one program, I think, that waits until the whole thing is in before offering interviews. Most though, do not. Most don't even wait for all of your LORs or even your transcript.

Oh damn...screw this! I'm applying now! I was gonna wait for a month or two until my letters were solidified.

AndyMilonakis said:
Oh damn...screw this! I'm applying now! I was gonna wait for a month or two until my letters were solidified.

Oh yeah, definitely apply as early as you can. It doesn't really hurt to wait until part way through september, but remember that there are lots of people submitting early, and if by chance this becomes a real competitive year, you don't want all the interview slots taken by the time they get your application. Sorry. We're full.
sad-smiley-068.gif
sad-smiley-043.gif

I had my letters requested by the end of July and they were all in by about mid october, so it pays to get them done earlier, but if that is all that is holding up your application, don't worry about it.