Interview Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enTropeeeeeeeee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applied to 35 schools. The wait for interviews is causing a bit of mental anguish. Is it still early? When are interviews generally issued out?

Any info would be great. Thanks SDN!

EDIT: I received a couple rejections so far...stings a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure that your application season won't turn into entropeeeeeeeeee. It's still earlyeeeeeeeeee. ;)

I'm sure that your application season won't turn into entropeeeeeeeeee. It's still earlyeeeeeeeeee. ;)

:laugh:

Being out of school sucks. I need to get my mind into busy mode again. Video games were great for the first 2 weeks...now it's just AHHH!

:laugh:

Being out of school sucks. I need to get my mind into busy mode again. Video games were great for the first 2 weeks...now it's just AHHH!

How about you take organic for me, and I'll play video games for you? :p

I would love to take organic chemistry for you. I love chemistry!!! :cool:

Not trolling, but I would totally do that lol. I loved o-chem.

You will get it!!! Tomorrow? :cool:

I hate weekends now. No chance of interview invite lol. Not gonna deny it...quite jealous of ppl with interviews.

I really like organic so far, too! I think that you will get some interviews soon! Weekends can be a long wait. I predict Monday! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry, they will come!!!

Hi Codeblu!

I remember studying for the MCAT with you (on the internetz at least). I'm happy that it turned out well for you. Not so much for me lol. I'm not gonna freak out until I get 10 more rejections in a row. lol hopefully that doesn't happen!!!

Hi Codeblu!

I remember studying for the MCAT with you (on the internetz at least). I'm happy that it turned out well for you. Not so much for me lol. I'm not gonna freak out until I get 10 more rejections in a row. lol hopefully that doesn't happen!!!

Thanks!!! If you're not happy with the score, retake! It's not all THAT bad.

Don't worry, you can do this.

I really like organic so far, too! I think that you will get some interviews soon! Weekends can be a long wait. I predict Monday! :)

Every morning........Go straight to email, but to no avail! Just need 1 interview and I'm guaranteed to get accepted.

My charm is super effective against ADCOMs!

Thanks!!! If you're not happy with the score, retake! It's not all THAT bad.

Don't worry, you can do this.

2 months ago...retaking the MCAT was an impossibility that I would not fathom even in my wildest, most bizzzzzzare dream. Today, I'm actually ok with that idea. I plan to restudy starting in January. If no good news by then...I'll definitely begin the process to retake and pwn that test.

2 months ago...retaking the MCAT was an impossibility that I would not fathom even in my wildest, most bizzzzzzare dream. Today, I'm actually ok with that idea. I plan to restudy starting in January. If no good news by then...I'll definitely begin the process to retake and pwn that test.

How did it go if you don't mind me asking?

Applied to 35 schools. The wait for interviews is causing a bit of mental anguish. Is it still early? When are interviews generally issued out?

Even though it is early for interviews several people have received multiple interviews.

Looking at some schools can give you a rough idea of what has been tolled out thus far:

At the time of this post, michigan has offered 295 of 725 interviews (right hand column):
http://www.med.umich.edu/medschool/admissions/

At the time of this post, Oakland University has offered 183 out of 420 interviews (right hand column):
http://www.oakland.edu/?id=16523&sid=340

So they look a bit below 1/2 done. Others may not even be near that far - while some schools like Mayo, I imagine, have the majority (i.e. over 50%) already booked since they stop interviewing in Dec.

Thanks for the data. When does the interview season become "late" for ppl without invites? I would imagine mid october-ish.

That is a subjective measure. When would you like it to be? When 75% of the interviews have been booked? 90%?

Then, once you take your percentage designated, it is applied to a new level of subjectivity since not all the schools will reach that set percentage at the same time... Some in October, some in December. I bet some reach it in late Sept.

I, personally, will start getting jitters when the schools are closer to 75% booked... I figure it as first 25% are the early ballers/auto-invites with >35 mcat, >3.8 GPA, unique EC's... Then the middle 50 are the mere "commoners" [such as I].... Then the last 25% are a mix of the procrastinating ballers that applied late and people that they liked but didn't make a decision on until they saw the whole pool first.

My opinion.

This is good logic.

Well, since everyone here likes orgo so much....

Hullo,
So...
which is the more acidic/stable compound?

Never done this before so please bear with me.

C-N=C-C^-

OR

H2N^-

I thought it was the amine because the charge is on a more EN atom (N vs. C - 1st rule, no need to go further). But, now I see that the first compound does share the charge with the N in a resonance structure. Is this the reason I got the problem wrong? If it is wouldn't that mean you should probably always check resonance structures before checking the atoms when determining acidity? Thanks!

Sorry for hijacking thread but couldn't resist helping fellow SDN'ers in need of Orgo stimulation (and it wasn't getting answered in the MCAT Q&A forum).

That is a subjective measure. When would you like it to be? When 75% of the interviews have been booked? 90%?

Then, once you take your percentage designated, it is applied to a new level of subjectivity since not all the schools will reach that set percentage at the same time... Some in October, some in December. I bet some reach it in late Sept.

I, personally, will start getting jitters when the schools are closer to 75% booked... I figure it as first 25% are the early ballers/auto-invites with >35 mcat, >3.8 GPA, unique EC's... Then the middle 50 are the mere "commoners" [such as I].... Then the last 25% are a mix of the procrastinating ballers that applied late and people that they liked but didn't make a decision on until they saw the whole pool first.

My opinion.

Well stated :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:.

As a "commoner" myself, I will continue to be patient and keep myself busy until things start working out for me.

I have a very strong app except for sub 30 MCAT.

Is it still early? YES!! Interview invites are given out anywhere from August to March (even April), depending on the school. Sure, you'll hear about applicants who have multiple interviews in the beginning, but that's certainly not the norm (and you have to remember sdn isn't the norm either). And as CodeBlu pointed out, a lot of the early interviews go to the people with crazy high stats.

I was in a very similar situation as you when I applied last year- great application except for a sub-30 MCAT. It worked out better than I imagined in the end :D (got to stay in CA): http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=18708

I submitted my application in July, got quite a few rejections before receiving my first interview invite in August (to my surprise)... then a bunch more rejections... then another intervew invite in November... even more rejections... and a 3rd interview invite in March. So they can be quite spread out. The application process is a really long waiting game... From the time I submitted my application to when I heard from the very last school, it was like 11 months!

I've read somewhere on the forums that if one doesn't receive any interview invites by January, then one should start preparing for re-application just in case. Sounds like you already made that plan :thumbup:.

Also, just because you've turned in your application materials doesn't mean there's nothing else to do. If you have any updates to add to your file (like a new EC, publication, etc), consider writing update letters to schools you haven't heard back from yet. If you have nothing new to add, you could send a letter of interest. This is what I did. In early Nov, I sent out a combined update letter/letter of interest (kept it relatively short and simple: 1 paragraph about a new publication and 1 paragraph expressing my interest in the school and how I would make a good fit), and I got my second interview a week later. A letter of interest probably also helped me get the 3rd interview invite (they requested one from me).

Anyways, good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Well, since everyone here likes orgo so much....

Neither of those are particularly stable, imo. There are no easily-removed hydrogens - they both want one, but at least the first has the resonance, which stablizes the molecule greatly. There's no way it'll exist in that form with a negative charge on the last carbon.

In more keeping with the thread: Just keep breathing. It's still early - many schools have just now started doing interviews, and they're all still giving them out. Like everyone has already said, try not to worry too much until December at the earliest, but really January. Good luck!

Me too. I applied to 35 or so schools, and I am decidedly anguished. It doesn't help that I am just now getting complete at schools due to a late MCAT test date, whereas my friends who have been complete since early July are getting lots of interview love.

I hate weekends now. No chance of interview invite lol. Not gonna deny it...quite jealous of ppl with interviews.

It's 6:30 on a Friday night and instead of rejoicing that it's the weekend, I am depressed that I won't hear anything until Monday.

Every morning........Go straight to email, but to no avail!

Every morning, every mid-morning, every late morning, you get the idea.

If it helps you at all I am right there with you...

It's 6:30 on a Friday night and instead of rejoicing that it's the weekend, I am depressed that I won't hear anything until Monday.

Set your email to send you a text alert. That way, you can just keep your phone on you and not be compulsively checking email every 10 minutes.

And I'm totally with you on the depressing weekends thing. I've mentioned this, and fellow applicants completely, totally agree. Weekends fail - the only think you can ever get during them are rejections (as per Boston)!

Me too. I applied to 35 or so schools, and I am decidedly anguished. It doesn't help that I am just now getting complete at schools due to a late MCAT test date, whereas my friends who have been complete since early July are getting lots of interview love.

It really is the hardest part of the whole process because its out of your control, you cant study for getting an interview

No, but you can quickly look up your interviewer's CV :D

Is it still early? YES!! Interview invites are given out anywhere from August to March (even April), depending on the school. Sure, you'll hear about applicants who have multiple interviews in the beginning, but that's certainly not the norm (and you have to remember sdn isn't the norm either). And as CodeBlu pointed out, a lot of the early interviews go to the people with crazy high stats.

I was in a very similar situation as you when I applied last year- great application except for a sub-30 MCAT. It worked out better than I imagined in the end :D (got to stay in CA): http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=18708

I submitted my application in July, got quite a few rejections before receiving my first interview invite in August (to my surprise)... then a bunch more rejections... then another intervew invite in November... even more rejections... and a 3rd interview invite in March. So they can be quite spread out. The application process is a really long waiting game... From the time I submitted my application to when I heard from the very last school, it was like 11 months!

I've read somewhere on the forums that if one doesn't receive any interview invites by January, then one should start preparing for re-application just in case. Sounds like you already made that plan :thumbup:.

Also, just because you've turned in your application materials doesn't mean there's nothing else to do. If you have any updates to add to your file (like a new EC, publication, etc), consider writing update letters to schools you haven't heard back from yet. If you have nothing new to add, you could send a letter of interest. This is what I did. In early Nov, I sent out a combined update letter/letter of interest (kept it relatively short and simple: 1 paragraph about a new publication and 1 paragraph expressing my interest in the school and how I would make a good fit), and I got my second interview a week later. A letter of interest probably also helped me get the 3rd interview invite (they requested one from me).

Anyways, good luck! :luck:

Thank you for this. I will continue working hard on getting my manuscript finished and hopefully a publication. I'll keep up my volunteering and send update/LOI in about 2 weeks or so.

Thanks again for the help. This helps me more than you could ever know! :):):):):):):)

OP, we spoke earlier this summer. Also no interviews here. Just gotta have patience.