Interview Shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trinitrotoluene

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Vanity Question:

At some point I hope to get more interviews (only one so far), but I am concerned about the footwear that I wore to the last interview. Now, the shoes that I wore last time (with a professional suit of clothes) were interesting: both interviewers plus the assistant dean of admissions gave me compliments on them but I ended up on their waitlist. I really do not think that the clothes made the decidion, but I do not want to miss out on med school because of my shoes. Here they are; the color of my shoes is "black and white."

Again, you can see the shoe in question by following this link.

Oh, yes. I am a man and not a woman. (Someone else got confused, but that's OK.) The shoe is unisex.

Members don't see this ad.

trinitrotoluene said:
Vanity Question:

At some point I hope to get more interviews (only one so far), but I am concerned about the footwear that I wore to the last interview. Now, the shoes that I wore last time (with a professional suit of clothes) were interesting: both interviewers plus the assistant dean of admissions gave me compliments on them but I ended up on their waitlist. I really do not think that the clothes made the decidion, but I do not want to miss out on med school because of my shoes. Here they are; the color of my shoes is "black and white."

did you not have anything else? probably not a huge deal, but...

bewitched1081 said:
did you not have anything else? probably not a huge deal, but...

That's what my pre-med advisor said.

I have two other pairs of Docs, but they're boots.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they are great. Though you may want to invest in some more "traditional" dress shoes eventually. I think the adcoms should pay more attention to the people with slightly off kilter dress. People with guts!!

(I say this because I refused to wear a suit to my interview!! I look like a linebacker is a suit jacket)

S

trinitrotoluene said:
That's what my pre-med advisor said.

I have two other pairs of Docs, but they're boots.

I love Docs and I own several pairs, but they are not the professional attire that is appropriate for interviews. It may very well not matter but I'd get a real pair of dress shoes. You don't want them thinking you don't know how to be professional.

At any rate, you'll need "professional" looking shoes when you're seeing patients in clinic. You might as well get a comfortable pair now. It's not a total waste.

Wearing Docs with a suit is not simply off kilter...it's absolutely disgusting. It's one thing to wear a suit that is a little different than what everyone else is wearing as long as the outfit "makes sense." You just can't wear boots with a suit.

VPDcurt said:
It's one thing to wear a suit that is a little different than what everyone else is wearing as long as the outfit "makes sense." You just can't wear boots with a suit.

No. The shoes I wore to the interview really are shoes--not boots. Again, you can see them by following this link. I would like to buy another pair of shoes, but money is a bit tight right now. Ouch.

These are the shoes I wore:

www.phatpimpclothing.com/hi/phatpimp/getpimpshoesblack.html

Yeah, I decided to err on the conservative side like you.

PS: If you can afford those Docs, you can afford decent-looking shoes. The ones you wore simply aren't professional, sorry, and all it takes is for one stuffy, old doctor to huff and puff about them and blow your application down the crapper. Hope you get an acceptance next time though, and, who knows, you could always get in off the WL.

Dr. Donkey said:
These are the shoes I wore:

www.phatpimpclothing.com/hi/phatpimp/getpimpshoesblack.html

Yeah, I decided to err on the conservative side like you.

PS: If you can afford those Docs, you can afford decent-looking shoes. The ones you wore simply aren't professional, sorry, and all it takes is for one stuffy, old doctor to huff and puff about them and blow your application down the crapper. Hope you get an acceptance next time though, and, who knows, you could always get in off the WL.

That's awesome -- are the fish real?
To the original OP, your posts sound like you are trying to market the shoes, not get advice; but if you are serious, I would honestly invest in a pair of black wingtips...

Law2Doc said:
To the original OP, your posts sound like you are trying to market the shoes, not get advice; but if you are serious, I would honestly invest in a pair of black wingtips...

Dr. Donkey--Those shoes look a bit uncomfortable for walking--particularly the heal. Oh where oh where can you get comfortable dress shoes? Also, the Dean point blank told me I would not "lose points" for my shoes. I'm worried about future interviews with less forgiving people.

Law2Doc--No. I'm not trying to market anything. I tried marketing a long time ago, and it's part of the reason why I want to be a doctor now. I linked to Zappos so people could see them. However, I do highly recommend them--just maybe not for interviewing.

They CAN be, but I only put real fish in for special occasions. For my interviews I like to put something "classy" in there like some nice Siamese Fighting Fish or something; they don't last too long though. Apparently fish need to breath, who knew???

Normally I just use the tanks for an emergency supply of liquor.

Law2Doc said:

Well. The fact that your interviewer and the dean noticed your shoes could work for or against you.

For: they'll remember you
Against: they noticed that your shoes don't match (and that's quite a feat. most men never notice women's shoes)

I understand the need to differentiate yourself from the million other black suits out there, but you want to make sure you differentiate yourself in positive ways only. You don't want to add more potentially gray areas to your application (the adcoms add enough gray as it is!). You've come too far to risk something as silly as shoes at this point. Not every girl wears the high heeled boardroom pump (I personally like them), and if it doesn't suit your personality, then don't wear it. But I'd definitely go with something a little more conservative than what you've been wearing. Don't forget that medical school is a professional school.

Break out the docs after you get in and thumb your nose then if you want, but for now - I'd go with the Trojan horse attack. Perhaps you can go halfway - a pair of heeled mary janes may work for you, or even an upscale pair of penny loafers would be better.

lightnk102 said:
Perhaps you can go halfway - a pair of heeled mary janes may work for you, or even an upscale pair of penny loafers would be better.

I would do that if I were a girl. :)

Sorry about the confusion.

The last time I heard, Al Bundy fit a nice pair of shoes with a bit of cheek on the side too (always a plus). Come on, I'm sure you can find a store in your area that sells decently priced shoes. Just get anything in black, matte finish, that doesn't look like it's made of plastic. I only sympathize with you if you really can't afford one pair of shoes and are sustaining yourself on two cans of "potted meat" a day. On that note, someone should use "Potted Meat" as a user name.

As far as not "[losing] points" for the shoes, unless the dean told you this in an enthusiastic way (like, "wow, I love those shows, you are certainly not going to lose any points over those.") it's probably bad that he had to tell you that at all.

trinitrotoluene said:
Dr. Donkey--Those shoes look a bit uncomfortable for walking--particularly the heal. Oh where oh where can you get comfortable dress shoes? Also, the Dean point blank told me I would not "lose points" for my shoes. I'm worried about future interviews with less forgiving people.

Dr. Donkey said:
They CAN be, but I only put real fish in for special occasions. For my interviews I like to put something "classy" in there like some nice Siamese Fighting Fish or something; they don't last too long though. Apparently fish need to breath, who knew???

Lest you think I was joking about the real goldfish, there were such shoes back in the day.
See eg. this reference to the use of plastics in outfits: "In the '60s, the looks included clear boots, clear shoes with live goldfish in the heels, dresses with clear plastic pockets, and clear plastic handbags." (http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Apr-14-Mon-2003/living/20971692.html).

Dr. Donkey said:
As far as not "[losing] points" for the shoes, unless the dean told you this in an enthusiastic way (like, "wow, I love those shows, you are certainly not going to lose any points over those.") it's probably bad that he had to tell you that at all.

Actually, that is exactly what happened...three times. The people at this school are *very laid back*.

No, I knew you weren't joking. I just wonder how long the fish could breath in those things, and how long they live after the battering against the sides sank in.

To the OP, looks like you're golden then. If they liked them, they liked them. Probably not a big deal but like you were saying, I would get some different shoes for the future, which is, I know, now a dead, beaten, and bloodied point.

Law2Doc said:
Lest you think I was joking about the real goldfish, there were such shoes back in the day.
See eg. this reference to the use of plastics in outfits: "In the '60s, the looks included clear boots, clear shoes with live goldfish in the heels, dresses with clear plastic pockets, and clear plastic handbags." (http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Apr-14-Mon-2003/living/20971692.html).

trinitrotoluene said:
I would do that if I were a girl. :)

Sorry about the confusion.

OOPS.

Sorry, I always automatically assume that any questions about shoes are from girls. Bad assumption to make. I did think the shoes looked a bit masculine, but hey - i know girls who wear such things.

Good luck!

lightnk102 said:
OOPS.

Sorry, I always automatically assume that any questions about shoes are from girls. Bad assumption to make. I did think the shoes looked a bit masculine, but hey - i know girls who wear such things.

Good luck!

Don't worry about it.

Dr. Donkey said:
No, I knew you weren't joking. I just wonder how long the fish could breath in those things, and how long they live after the battering against the sides sank in.

Well, as long as you get an acceptance, they would have died for a good cause.