Interview skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycfella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere a person could work on there interview skills aside from the front of the mirror? I think my interview skills suck, and it's not really something that you can improve by reading a book or studying more. I also don't know to many professionals, so I can't really practice with friends, or family members. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anywhere a person could work on there interview skills aside from the front of the mirror? I think my interview skills suck, and it's not really something that you can improve by reading a book or studying more. I also don't know to many professionals, so I can't really practice with friends, or family members. Any suggestions?

Maybe your school offers mock interviews? Or maybe you could practice with a fellow classmate, taking turns?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe your school offers mock interviews? Or maybe you could practice with a fellow classmate, taking turns?

I agree, if there's a school you currently go to, or went to in the past, see if their pre-health/advising office offers mock interviews. If not, you could also contact Kaplan or other admissions prep companies and see if they do. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they do this, but I could be wrong. Otherwise, I'd ask fellow students who have already been on interviews to mock interview me. Or if you know any current med students. I agree that mock interviewing with family, or friends who haven't had a med school interview wouldn't be as good practice. And the mirror doesn't work either in my opinion. I also tried practicing answering questions out loud in the car while I was driving before my first interviews, and it was not very helpful either. A good mock interview is definitely the best practice. (Or other job interviews if you have them). Good luck!

Heh, actually, I used to be really shy and I just started to try to start up conversations with random people on campus, lol. I mean, not in an intrusive obnoxious way of course, it was mostly just on the shuttle rides or while a group of us were waiting for something or another. It actually worked really well, I've made some really cool new acquaintances, and I'm much more comfortable talking to new people about myself and fine tuning my conversation gauge. Of course, interviews are more focused and intense than idle conversation, but it's still practice. Anyways, just my little story.

I agree, if there's a school you currently go to, or went to in the past, see if their pre-health/advising office offers mock interviews. If not, you could also contact Kaplan or other admissions prep companies and see if they do. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they do this, but I could be wrong. Otherwise, I'd ask fellow students who have already been on interviews to mock interview me. Or if you know any current med students. I agree that mock interviewing with family, or friends who haven't had a med school interview wouldn't be as good practice. And the mirror doesn't work either in my opinion. I also tried practicing answering questions out loud in the car while I was driving before my first interviews, and it was not very helpful either. A good mock interview is definitely the best practice. (Or other job interviews if you have them). Good luck!

Haha, I did this too. I thought I sounded crazy. :laugh:

Pre health advisors usually conduct mock interviews, also like mentioned before kaplan does them as well.

The thing with job interviews is that you don't really get any feedback. No one really tells you, "you suck at interviewing, so we decided to go with someone else..." The thing with talking to random strangers is that, uh, well lets just say NYC isn't really a place where you want to do that...