Interview Suit color

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Doctor Mclovin also made trollish posts on another thread about a joint bs/dds program. I think he should be banned.

Members don't see this ad.

You gentlemen are all blabbering idiots.

The interview suit color is either CHARCOAL or NAVY
, NOT BLACK

Pinstripe? Are you serious? Why don't you mix in a glen plaid or windowpane while you're at it.

Ask anyone who knows anything about men's attire and sartorial matters about BLACK suits. Black is reserved for funerals and formal dinners. In general, dentists are among the worst dressed professionals but come on, get a clue.

Why are you guys so uneducated and so pedestrian? It saddens me so much when I think about having to spend my professional life among people like you.

Even dumb threads can still be fun sometimes. :D I was actually surprised to see how many people said black suits. A black suit isn't considered one of the more essential suit colors, and many traditionally dressed men who have multiple suits (no, I'm not one of them) often reserve a black suit for something like a funeral or a very formal occasion, just short of black-tie. Many would argue the essential suits are navy, charcoal, and navy pin-stripe. McLovin, I disagree with you in regards to navy pinstripe suits though. They may not be as popular in dental interviews, but it's a very classic and professional suit, certainly not in the same category as plaid or windowpane. I think some here are confusing pin-striple and chalk-stripe anyway. Pin-stripes should be very fine, subtle lines. Chalk-stripes are the more obvious vertical lines.

I'm wondering if the suit norm among dental interviews is actually just a self-propagating cycle. People wear black suits because the other people at the interviews wear black suits. Then some of the people eventually become interviewers themselves and continue to wear the black suits. So the cycle goes on while the rest of the world thinks everyone's going to a funeral.

People probably don't realize that all the square toed dress shoes you see around now would traditionally be considered inappropriate for an interview, as they're just a pop mainstream style. The traditional shoe for an interview would be a plain black laced-up cap-toe. I'm not a traditional men's dress snob. I just started reading about all this recently since I was curious how mens dress wear was meant to be worn before we all got used to wearing cargo pants and throwing on the occasional suit when needed.

I'm leaning towards charcoal myself, but have considered the pin stripe.
By the way, this is a good example of a subtle pinstripe:

212K_NAVY-STRIPE

The charcoal I'm considering:
146K_enlarged.jpg

is it appropriate for a man to wear a cuff-link shirt at an interview or is it too formal?