Interview suit...sleeves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeMD13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would this be ok for an interview with the sleeves pushed up like this? What about with rolled sleeves? It has blue and white striped fabric underneath and it is so cute that way but it doesn't look formal. Without them rolled/cuffed or pushed up like the model, I look like a flight attendant.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1468890444.127192.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that a dress with a jacket? If not, go with a blouse of a different color. Or add a long necklace with colored stones at intervals or a chunky brooch which would put it out of the flight attendant realm.

Reactions: 4 users
Is that a dress with a jacket? If not, go with a blouse of a different color. Or add a long necklace with colored stones at intervals or a chunky brooch which would put it out of the flight attendant realm.

Yeah it's a dress with a jacket. I was thinking the same thing about a necklace. I might just return the jacket and keep the dress though bc I think it will look amazing with a white coat over it one day! Plus I got it on clearance for $30! I will probably just end up getting a regular suit for interview day.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't roll up your sleeves. If you wear a necklace it shouldn't be a super chunky statement necklace. Any jewelry or accessories should be understated. And don't forget pantyhose if you wear a skirt or dress!!

Don't roll up your sleeves. If you wear a necklace it shouldn't be a super chunky statement necklace. Any jewelry or accessories should be understated. And don't forget pantyhose if you wear a skirt or dress!!

I am not at all looking forward to wearing pantyhose.

Reactions: 1 users
I am not at all looking forward to wearing pantyhose.
They're not too bad :p I recommend buying the cheap-o kind from CVS/Walgreens and stocking up on a couple pairs. Always have a backup when you travel!

Reactions: 2 users
I'd say no for the whole look but that's just me.

This strikes me as something more in line with office wear and not interview wear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys are expected to wear a suit and tie right? Business casual (blazer and khakis) are too informal? Don't want to over or under dress

Guys are expected to wear a suit and tie right? Business casual (blazer and khakis) are too informal? Don't want to over or under dress
Twenty-five years ago, men wore gray pants and blue blazers (very prep). The returning alumni wore the same "uniform" and it was always a jolt to see them for alumni weekend after seeing young applicants week after week. About 20 years ago the trend toward suits was complete..... Recently, black suits have become less common and I'm seeing more navy blue and dark gray suits.

Last edited:
What makes something more interview wear rather than office? Genuinely curious

Really just how formal something is. OPs outfit looks great, but a touch too informal for something like a medical school interview.

Yeah it's a dress with a jacket. I was thinking the same thing about a necklace. I might just return the jacket and keep the dress though bc I think it will look amazing with a white coat over it one day! Plus I got it on clearance for $30! I will probably just end up getting a regular suit for interview day.

Please don't return the jacket! That dress and jacket combination - with the sleeves down and assuming it fits well - is absolutely perfect for your interview. The right necklace and earrings or brooch and bracelet is all you need. When your dress & jacket suit is that classic, you will have wide latitude on the jewelry and can wear almost anything that isn't 'big and plastic'. So look for a statement piece that makes you feel fabulous, or wear a family piece with personal meaning.

Please don't return the jacket! That dress and jacket combination - with the sleeves down and assuming it fits well - is absolutely perfect for your interview. The right necklace and earrings or brooch and bracelet is all you need. When your dress & jacket suit is that classic, you will have wide latitude on the jewelry and can wear almost anything that isn't 'big and plastic'. So look for a statement piece that makes you feel fabulous, or wear a family piece with personal meaning.
A lot of times the jackets like the one shown in the pic are sewn so you can't actually unroll them. And if you took out the seam, it still wouldn't be long enough. Stupid, dumb fashion lol.

OP - go to Ann Taylor, talk to the sales lady there, tell her you need a business professional suit for interviews. She will find you a style/cut/color/everything that is both flattering and professional.

They're not too bad :p I recommend buying the cheap-o kind from CVS/Walgreens and stocking up on a couple pairs. Always have a backup when you travel!
Does anyone else see a great pun in this sentence???

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone else see a great pun in this sentence???

Good one! -- But I'm going to respectfully disagree on the 'cheapo' nylons, but definitely agree on the 'buy two' advice and raise you a "buy clear nail polish to stop runs". Go to Nordstroms Rack or Marshall's and buy 2-3 pairs of deeply discounted GOOD pantyhose. They'll look better, fit better, last longer and will cost about the same.

Reactions: 3 users
Wear something formal with some modest confidence and thoughtfulness.

I wore an outfit almost identical to the OP. The keys were accessories and tailoring. It was a great look and easy to deal with. I liked it better for my body type than a traditional suit with a blouse or shell.

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

I wore an outfit almost identical to the OP. The keys were accessories and tailoring. It was a great look and easy to deal with. I liked it better for my body type than a traditional suit with a blouse or shell.

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

Dress & jacket suits are very forgiving of imperfect figures, so a plus there. They also look good without being overly sexy on hourglass or busty shapes -- kind of a 'tone it down without veering into matronly' look.

I know the world has changed but I want to scream.. how could any prospective medical student not know this.

Yes, conservative suit and professional tie with correctly matching color socks (black is not dark blue). I always suggest a pair of shirts and ties to go with the suit. You can never go wrong white shirt. Have the suit pressed between interviews and carry a lint brush

Well someone told me a blazer was okay. Apparently, according to @LizzyM, blazers used to be worn in the past and are coming back now (both times with grey pants). When I was told blazers were okay I just assumed blazer and khakis because I have never used a blazer in a formal attire setting (only business casual). Then someone said suit and tie in this thread, so I just wanted to know which one was preferred

Didn't get a 100% definitive answer but it seems erring on the conservative side with a suit and tie is the best choice

Well someone told me a blazer was okay. Apparently, according to @LizzyM, blazers used to be worn in the past and are coming back now (both times with grey pants). When I was told blazers were okay I just assumed blazer and khakis because I have never used a blazer in a formal attire setting (only business casual). Then someone said suit and tie in this thread, so I just wanted to know which one was preferred

Didn't get a 100% definitive answer but it seems erring on the conservative side with a suit and tie is the best choice

The definitive answer is suit and tie.

No blazers are not coming back for interviews as much as I might wish it. What is becoming more common are gray suits and blue suits rather than black suits which just look like funeral attire and should have never become the standard color for interviews.

M1 here... Went to several interviews at higher end schools last year... My suggestion:

Classy. Simple.

The committee won't give two hoots for your being cute or not. They will care however if you don't dress properly.

Nearly everyone in my interviews wore pant suits of muted colors, button down shirts or shells with no flashy patterns or colors, and simple classy jewelry (a lot of pearls).

You want them to be impressed with you, not your outfit.

Do not wear a blazer and khakis!

What is the difference between a blazer and suit coat? I looked it up online but they look the same lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What is the difference between a blazer and suit coat? I looked it up online but they look the same lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Typically, a blazer has metal buttons with a shank often with an embossed (or less often engraved) motif on the face. A suit jacket has buttons that are the same color as the fabric and with holes showing so that you see the threads attaching the button to the suit.

Typically, a blazer has metal buttons with a shank often with an embossed (or less often engraved) motif on the face. A suit jacket has buttons that are the same color as the fabric and with holes showing so that you see the threads attaching the button to the suit.

What about gold buttons for women? I was actually thinking about this earlier bc I'm still trying to figure out a way to not look like I work for Delta. I don't think mine would work like this though since the design is different.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1468978637.112172.jpg

If you want to look less like a flight attendant, go with the skirt suit option and pick out a colorful blouse to go with it (make sure it's not too low cut). You're there to interview for medical school, not interview for a fashion magazine. You should buy a women's suit (from Ann Taylor/Calvin Klein/Nordstrom Rack), not try to match a blazer/suit jacket with a dress. Everyone will be wearing either a skirt suit or a pantsuit, if you don't, you will stand out (and not in a good way!).

What about gold buttons for women? I was actually thinking about this earlier bc I'm still trying to figure out a way to not look like I work for Delta. I don't think mine would work like this though since the design is different.View attachment 206530
That's a double breasted high fashion jacket over a sheath. It is not a suit jacket and not a blazer.

If you want to look less like a flight attendant, go with the skirt suit option and pick out a colorful blouse to go with it (make sure it's not too low cut). You're there to interview for medical school, not interview for a fashion magazine. You should buy a women's suit (from Ann Taylor/Calvin Klein/Nordstrom Rack), not try to match a blazer/suit jacket with a dress. Everyone will be wearing either a skirt suit or a pantsuit, if you don't, you will stand out (and not in a good way!).

A dress-suit (dress and same-fabric jacket) is a very solid interview attire option; and I disagree that a dress-suit 'standout' would be for a bad reason unless there's something much more 'wrong' than metal buttons. (too tight, too short, cleavage or cutouts, cheap fabric) Unless you add a red white & blue scarf, epaulets or a pin with wings, you won't look like a flight attendant. "Trying to match" a blazer with a dress when the two are not made from exactly the same fabric would be a mistake though.

This is not to say that skirt suits and pants suits aren't also good options -- they're just not the only options for women.

After a certain point the details stop mattering.

My first interview I made sure everything was perfect, it was like a military check before a major invasion every detail accounted for, for my 8th I didn't even do up my tie fully.

Got into both either way and I'm not that incredible of a candidate. The atmosphere you cultivate and the rapport you establish with your interviewer matters more than what you look like or even how stellar your answers are (to a point - law of diminishing returns, taking care of high yield things is still important).

A dress-suit (dress and same-fabric jacket) is a very solid interview attire option; and I disagree that a dress-suit 'standout' would be for a bad reason unless there's something much more 'wrong' than metal buttons. (too tight, too short, cleavage or cutouts, cheap fabric) Unless you add a red white & blue scarf, epaulets or a pin with wings, you won't look like a flight attendant. "Trying to match" a blazer with a dress when the two are not made from exactly the same fabric would be a mistake though.

This is not to say that skirt suits and pants suits aren't also good options -- they're just not the only options for women.
My apologies! I wasn't trying to say a dress-suit is not a feasible option. The OP stated that those seemed to make her feel like she looked like a flight attendant so I offered other options that were not the more fashionable options she keeps posting. I agree that a dress-suit can look great and is perfect for interviews as long as the dress is long enough and not too low cut. I also agree that none of the women's suits (when tailored and fitted properly) these days will make you look like a flight attendant. We have all stated this in not so many words, yet the OP continues to question our judgment and has posted pictures that I don't think would be appropriate interview attire. Because of this, I merely offered a suggestion to pull her away from the dress-suit option.

Last edited:
After a certain point the details stop mattering.

My first interview I made sure everything was perfect, it was like a military check before a major invasion every detail accounted for, for my 8th I didn't even do up my tie fully.

Got into both either way and I'm not that incredible of a candidate. The atmosphere you cultivate and the rapport you establish with your interviewer matters more than what you look like or even how stellar your answers are (to a point - law of diminishing returns, taking care of high yield things is still important).

Lol yeah I think if that one girl can get in wearing a silver catsuit, I should maybe just chill about sleeves and buttons.

To be extra clear, a suit jacket is more formal than a blazer, and a suit jacket is a better plan for a med school interview.

Although the buttons are the classic difference, there are usually some other differences as well. Blazers sometimes have patch pockets, whereas suit jackets almost always have jetted pockets, either with or without a flap over the opening. Suit jackets also tend to have more structure, which comes from the padding and lining.

Good one! -- But I'm going to respectfully disagree on the 'cheapo' nylons, but definitely agree on the 'buy two' advice and raise you a "buy clear nail polish to stop runs". Go to Nordstroms Rack or Marshall's and buy 2-3 pairs of deeply discounted GOOD pantyhose. They'll look better, fit better, last longer and will cost about the same.

After years of cheapo nylons, I recently bought a good pair and definitely noticed a difference. They lasted about five times as long. So either a decade of adult-ing has finally taught me not to ruin them, or this is something you really should actually spend money on.

What does that mean? Is the clear nail polish for your nails, or is it used on or with the pantyhose in some way?

If you dab some clear nail polish on a snag, it stops it the run from going all the way down your leg.

If you dab some clear nail polish on a snag, it stops it the run from going all the way down your leg.
Does this cause the nylon to stick to your leg in that place, or does the nylon still slide freely?

Does this cause the nylon to stick to your leg in that place, or does the nylon still slide freely?

Lol! Sometimes it sticks for a second once it dries but you just gently pull it away and you are almost good as new!

When I was told blazers were okay I just assumed blazer and khakis because I have never used a blazer in a formal attire setting (only business casual).
At this point in professional and style culture, khakis and a blazer are only appropriate during pledge week.

Two-button, navy/grey/charcoal/black and tailored. Men's Warehouse has a slew of suits on sale right now for $199. The current style is slim fits, if that's not your body type, or it doesn't feel comfortable, don't buy it. Some interviews are full day events and an uncomfortable suit can lead to an uncomfortable interview.

For guys, check on the Men's Clothing thread.

Would this be ok for an interview with the sleeves pushed up like this? What about with rolled sleeves? It has blue and white striped fabric underneath and it is so cute that way but it doesn't look formal. Without them rolled/cuffed or pushed up like the model, I look like a flight attendant. View attachment 206477

NVM. I'm probably wrong.