Interview timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lindsayb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a question for people who have gotten interviews/been accepted this year. My situation is the following:
-I applied late in the cycle (got all my secondaries done and in in November)
-I have a 3.3 science, 3.7 nonscience GPAs, and scored 30P MCAT (10bs,10ps,10verbal)
I have not gotten any interviews yet, but have gotten some outright rejections. Should I stop even thinking/checking my email for any interview invites??? Most schools say interview season is either through March or April, but from what I have heard interviews this late are for waitlist spots. Also, if you do get an interview, so early does a med school tell you about it (ie. we will want to interview you in x days...). Thanks!
--Lindsay
ps. Save you breath if your response is rude (realistic is okay), as are the majority of the responses I see on this forum

Members don't see this ad.

What's going to hurt you is the fact that you have lower MCAT and sGPA so you would want to ideally apply early, but since you applied late, there are many more highly quilified applicants than you.

If you had applied early, before some with better stats applied, you might have landed some interviews early on.

Also, knowing your cumulative gpa would give a better picture but I'm assuming it's closer to the 3.3 than 3.7 (let me know if i'm wrong).

What state are you from? And did you apply to all of your state schools? Those are going to be your best chances.

I was notified about two of my interviews less than a week before the interview date (one of those was earlier this month) and I have another one in early next month (received invitation in december)
I wouldn't give up hope yet!
:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
im going to assume since this is on an MD thread, you only applied to MD schools? if not, i think you have a real good shot at DO schools this cycle. some MD's might give you a shot, i have somewhat similiar stats, applied late (october) and got one MD invite. so its possible. i also see on threads here that people are still gettin interviews, so i wouldnt lose all hope!

I had a pretty low MCAT (29) and also applied late (finished in november for most.) One of my state schools got back to me right away, interviewed me, and accepted me. I got one OOS rejection. Have not heard from the others (7) yet. (including the other instate).

However, I just requested the status of my application at the two other schools I would actually take the interview for, and one said that i'll hear from them in the "next few days." The other said they're reviewing my app. So.... yea.

GPA is your biggest hurdle. If nothing comes up soon, it's time to start thinking about reapplying. It's up to you if you want to simply apply early for the 2011-2012 cycle, or take some time off and bring those grades up.

In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to send updates to some schools you have yet to hear from.

GPA is your biggest hurdle. If nothing comes up soon, it's time to start thinking about reapplying. It's up to you if you want to simply apply early for the 2011-2012 cycle, or take some time off and bring those grades up.

In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to send updates to some schools you have yet to hear from.
Well, if GPA is your biggest hurdle, then you probably don't want to reapply right away. Do an SMP or something else to get your GPA up before reapplying!

Hey guys,
I have a question for people who have gotten interviews/been accepted this year. My situation is the following:
-I applied late in the cycle (got all my secondaries done and in in November)
-I have a 3.3 science, 3.7 nonscience GPAs, and scored 30P MCAT (10bs,10ps,10verbal)
I have not gotten any interviews yet, but have gotten some outright rejections. Should I stop even thinking/checking my email for any interview invites??? Most schools say interview season is either through March or April, but from what I have heard interviews this late are for waitlist spots. Also, if you do get an interview, so early does a med school tell you about it (ie. we will want to interview you in x days...). Thanks!
--Lindsay
ps. Save you breath if your response is rude (realistic is okay), as are the majority of the responses I see on this forum

I've had schools schedule interviews a month in advance, but I've also had schools offer me interview spots only a few days in advance. They were always flexible: "Oh, this Friday afternoon session is open, and we're free for morning and afternoon sessions for the following two Mondays and Fridays." That sort of thing.

As far as whether you should keep checking for interview invites, check out your school specific threads! http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=688 Some schools are done interviewing, and others definitely are not. I'd keep checking, but still make alternative plans for next year.

Your stats aren't stellar, but they're fine. Check out the link to the MCAT/GPA grid in my signature to look at your specific chances. Then remember that if you apply really early in a future cycle, your chances will be even better than that.

Also... I'm not sure how to respond to your attempt to discourage rudeness with a phrase like "save your breath." I'm not generally rude on SDN (or at least I try not to be) but I was sorely tempted to be because of that line :laugh:

Also... I'm not sure how to respond to your attempt to discourage rudeness with a phrase like "save your breath." I'm not generally rude on SDN (or at least I try not to be) but I was sorely tempted to be because of that line :laugh:

I also noted this, but I figured with 2 posts, she is new around here and I didn't want to give her a reason to think we're all a**holes around here!

Well, if GPA is your biggest hurdle, then you probably don't want to reapply right away. Do an SMP or something else to get your GPA up before reapplying!

That's what I meant about taking time off to raise the OP's grades.