Interview Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering what is the general interview timeline? I submitted a bunch of my secondaries end of July and was complete mid August. I have yet to hear from any of my schools...they are all either still in complete or some say under review.

How fast has the turn around been for most people? It seems like some schools give a yes/no very fast (i.e. BU) but does that apply only to a small handful?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools send out interview invitations within weeks, others take months. It depends on the particular school, the strength of the applicant, and often just dumb luck. In general many reasonably competitive applicants have one or more interview invitations by late December.

Just from browsing the school specific threads, it seems like the interviews handed out now are for Nov...at what point in the process is it pretty much hopeless that you will even get an interview? (I assume schools wait until late spring to officially reject)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just from browsing the school specific threads, it seems like the interviews handed out now are for Nov...at what point in the process is it pretty much hopeless that you will even get an interview? (I assume schools wait until late spring to officially reject)

I would probably start to become pessimistic if I did not receive any invites by late February.

On a somewhat related note, what is considered "late" in the interview season? I.e. the point at which (at rolling admissions schools at least) the chances of you getting in after an interview are significantly decreased because of the date of your interview? Or is this mostly school-specific?

On a somewhat related note, what is considered "late" in the interview season? I.e. the point at which (at rolling admissions schools at least) the chances of you getting in after an interview are significantly decreased because of the date of your interview? Or is this mostly school-specific?

School specific.

I would probably start to become pessimistic if I did not receive any invites by late February.

Interesting perspective. It seems that on SDN, you get a bunch of ppl with 10 IIs already. I always knew that this isn't the norm, but it's a bit discouraging to be honest. So outside of the skewed statistical data of SDN, receiving your first II sometime in November/December is actually typical?

Interesting perspective. It seems that on SDN, you get a bunch of ppl with 10 IIs already. I always knew that this isn't the norm, but it's a bit discouraging to be honest. So outside of the skewed statistical data of SDN, receiving your first II sometime in November/December is actually typical?

Yes. A friend of mine interviewed in Feb at her current school, and was then waitlisted, then she was accepted.

They get 10 interview invites but they are only going to 1 of them in the end. It is not the norm to get invites to most schools you apply too. Those people with amazing credentials probably get interviews to most of their safety's and a couple of reach schools. Considering you might be just begging for one at a low-mid tier school, you shouldn't be too worried about those people taking your spot.

Hi all, I was just wondering what is the general interview timeline? I submitted a bunch of my secondaries end of July and was complete mid August. I have yet to hear from any of my schools...they are all either still in complete or some say under review.

How fast has the turn around been for most people? It seems like some schools give a yes/no very fast (i.e. BU) but does that apply only to a small handful?

This has worried me as well. I had 2 schools with very quick interview handouts (2 weeks after submitting secondary), and several with very quick rejections (pre secondary or a week after secondary) so I imagine its very school specific and how well they deem you fitting what they want. Many of the medical students I spoke with at my last interview all had interviews after november and submitted early august. They all said they had multiple acceptances and waitlists and that It was still very early in the cycle. I'm fairly certain that SDN kids are not the norm (all freakishly high MCAT's , GPA's, etc...). Personally I have 2 interviews, 3 rejections, and 1 pre-interview hold and I applied to 20+ school. I was sumbitted early-mid august. I'm average stats 3.8 w/ 31 (altho amazing ec's, research, and letters) so I think I'm more the norm.

Or they are making things up to make themselves feel better on the internet :)