Interview tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crizq0

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up and it'll be my very first interview of any kind. When being interviewed, how should i sit, where should my arms and hands be. If im sitting face to face with a person or if im sitting at a conference table.

Should i bring small notepad and pen just in case?

When they ask you questions that i have no answer to at all, how should i respond? Should i try to answer it even though what im saying is wrong or should i just somehow say i don't know.

Any other tips that i should know/practice before my interview?

thansk.

Members don't see this ad.

:luck: we even have an interview feedback space, please read over the forum.

you might want to go to a bookstore and read over an interviewing tips book (i saw one at b&n), that will help you answer more basic questions.

good luck

I have an interview coming up and it'll be my very first interview of any kind. When being interviewed, how should i sit, where should my arms and hands be. If im sitting face to face with a person or if im sitting at a conference table.

Should i bring small notepad and pen just in case?

When they ask you questions that i have no answer to at all, how should i respond? Should i try to answer it even though what im saying is wrong or should i just somehow say i don't know.

Any other tips that i should know/practice before my interview?

thansk.

First of all, I would say to relax and just be yourself. Easier said then done, I know. As far as sitting, comfortably but professional. Sit up straight, don't fidget. Notebook and pen doesn't hurt unless you know you will play with it which could be distracting.

I don't think there will be any questions you can't answer, its not a quiz to see what you know, it should just be questions about you. But don't be afraid to pause and gather your thoughts before speaking or ask your interviewer to repeat the question.

I would make a list of questions you might be asked (see the interview feedback section) and have a friend or family member pretend to interview you so you can practice. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies.

Yes, i printed out a bunch of the questions from the interview feedback thread.

Very very helpful.

:cool:

I would definitely recommend practice. At my school (Bob Jones University) we have a mandatory speech class that very strongly focuses on interviews; we also have a retired neurologist who has seniors preparing to enter med/dent/vet/opt schools come over to his house for practice and coaching. He has also held public mock interviews with some of the seniors. He also will write letters of recommendations and do whatever he can to help. I think it is really nice of him and definitely very helpful.