Interview Tommorrow - Please Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in AP/surg path and I find that I have no problem talking with faculty who are on the AP side since we have common interests. However, when I interview with CP faculty, I just don't know exactly what to say and what to ask. How do you strike up conversation/show enthusiasm with/impress CP faculty when it comes to CP (unless you are CP-only or have some previous CP related experience)? How could you show interest in blood banking, microbiology, hematopath and all that jazz?

I feel like I can interview well with the AP faculty but when it comes to CP, I hope I wont tank the interview just because I am not as interested in it as AP.

Is it just me or am I the only person who isn't all too interested in the CP side of things (but I have no problem learning it)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in AP/surg path and I find that I have no problem talking with faculty who are on the AP side since we have common interests. However, when I interview with CP faculty, I just don't know exactly what to say and what to ask. How do you strike up conversation/show enthusiasm with/impress CP faculty when it comes to CP (unless you are CP-only or have some previous CP related experience)? How could you show interest in blood banking, microbiology, hematopath and all that jazz?

I feel like I can interview well with the AP faculty but when it comes to CP, I hope I wont tank the interview just because I am not as interested in it as AP.

Is it just me or am I the only person who isn't all too interested in the CP side of things (but I have no problem learning it)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It's funny you have this problem because I kind of have the opposite problem (in talking to AP ppl). Anyway, what I found was if you keep the questions broad you get pertinent information from the interviewer (and fill up the time ;)).

"What do you see as the strengths of CP training at your program? How can things be improved?"
"Are there plans to add faculty in your area?"
"What are the objectives of the (chemistry/micro/immuno/etc...) rotation for the residents?"
"What projects have past residents taken on in your area?"
"Will there be time to start/complete a publishable project while on this rotation?"

i've been honest when interviewing with CP faculty. i tell them i have little CP exposure, but want to learn it because 1) i may end up liking it enough to pursue fellowship training in something like blood banking and 2) it'll be important to doing my future job, whether that's using toxicology as a forensic pathologist or overseeing lab duties as part of a hospital group. anyway, my point is that you don't need to fake it. CP faculty realize most students come in with more AP experience and interest and i don't think it's held against us.