Interview waitlist??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kindoflostandsad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My interview at a program got cancelled due to a scheduling issue (administrator accidentally scheduled another student instead of me) and I got placed on a waitlist for another date in December because it was too late to fix the problem. Do people have luck getting off of waitlists? I'm hoping to match at this program and am horrified that this happened.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends where you are on the waitlist (sometimes they will tell you), obviously if you are higher there is a better chance of getting off the waitlist.

Since it is a bit later into interview season, people are certainly canceling interviews. If this is a top tier academic program, it's less likely that people will cancel, but it still happens. I have been on a few waitlists due to interview date issues such as this one, and so far I have had a lot of success getting off of them.

Good luck!

It depends where you are on the waitlist (sometimes they will tell you), obviously if you are higher there is a better chance of getting off the waitlist.

Since it is a bit later into interview season, people are certainly canceling interviews. If this is a top tier academic program, it's less likely that people will cancel, but it still happens. I have been on a few waitlists due to interview date issues such as this one, and so far I have had a lot of success getting off of them.

Good luck!

Yea it's super annoying bec it was the school that effed up. I was like...hi this isn't my fault can you please figure out a way to interview me rather than waitlist me?

it's a top tier program. i'm pretty upset. i cancelled another interview to make this one (which also was a really good interview so I was like fml when I found out abt this). i'm flying out from the west coast and lost a lot of money canceling my flights and hotels. I also didn't want to piss off the coordinators so i was like ok fine.

Stuff like this has happened to my friends too and it feels a lil unfair that programs do whatever they want without care for the fact that we are human beings that suffer as a direct consequence of their mistakes.

How frequently is it ok to contact the program asking abt the waitlist? I don't want to annoy them lol but also---I want to match there!!! haha

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
happened to me as well. Super annoying.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea it's super annoying bec it was the school that effed up. I was like...hi this isn't my fault can you please figure out a way to interview me rather than waitlist me?

it's a top tier program. i'm pretty upset. i cancelled another interview to make this one (which also was a really good interview so I was like fml when I found out abt this). i'm flying out from the west coast and lost a lot of money canceling my flights and hotels. I also didn't want to piss off the coordinators so i was like ok fine.

Stuff like this has happened to my friends too and it feels a lil unfair that programs do whatever they want without care for the fact that we are human beings that suffer as a direct consequence of their mistakes.

How frequently is it ok to contact the program asking abt the waitlist? I don't want to annoy them lol but also---I want to match there!!! haha

Hey bud, sorry this happened. I have to concur that you are way more likely to get off the waitlist later in the interview season. Even if it's a top-tier academic place, people will still cancel. Myself and a few people I know have cancelled a couple of top-tier places so there is still a chance.

The same exact thing happened to me but it worked out and I got an interview. The program coordinator ended up sending me an interview broker invite that was under someone else's name. Just out of curiosity, is this program in Ohio?

If it’s the coordinators mistake, you can simply state how interested you are in the program (if true) and see if they can expand a spot on another interview day. It may not work every time, but it’s not an unreasonable ask.

Hey bud, sorry this happened. I have to concur that you are way more likely to get off the waitlist later in the interview season. Even if it's a top-tier academic place, people will still cancel. Myself and a few people I know have cancelled a couple of top-tier places so there is still a chance.

The same exact thing happened to me but it worked out and I got an interview. The program coordinator ended up sending me an interview broker invite that was under someone else's name. Just out of curiosity, is this program in Ohio?

No it's not in Ohio. The only programs in Ohio I applied to are Cleveland Clinic and Case and they have both been amazing as far as communication goes.

Hoping that people just drop. Sigh.

Reactions: 1 user

Kind of unprofessional on their end. You shouldn't have to cancel flights and hotels and lose all that money because of their mistake. Time to speak up. They owe you an interview as originally planned ... if they can't fix this, I suggest you pass on the program altogether.

That’s probably the most messed up thing I’ve ever heard. Hasn’t happened to me but I don’t think I’d want to go somewhere that treated me this way. It was their fault, they should’ve been able to accommodate you.

What ended up happening with this? I hope you got an interview/they fixed their mistake

They offered me a waitlist day in early december then bumped me to another day late december and I ended up going to the interview. They called me later to tell me I was ranked very highly and I was like..yea ok cool. Sorry interview season picked up and just checking sdn.

Reactions: 1 users