Interview....what to bring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fooman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at LECOM on March 1st. Just wondering what is appropriate to bring into the interview with me.

Back when I was doing job interviews, I brought in a notepad for taking notes. Is that appropriate for school interviews? These would be notes that I would take when given the opportunity to ask questions.

Also, during my undergrad research, I was published in a couple of articles in medical journals. Should I bring a copy of that? I believe this was one of my strengths in my application.

One more thing, during my work as a clinical assistant in the ER, I was evaluated by my supervisor. It has some good comments about me, about my competency, dedication, and leadership. Would that be appropriate?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about LECOM, because I didn't interview there, but I don't think it'd be necessary to bring a notepad in. I think you just asking questions and looking interested in their responses will be enough.
I would probably bring a copy of what you published. They may or may not ask to see it. But if you mentioned in AACOMAS or their secondary that might be enough or they might like to see it.
As far as the evaluation is concerned, if you didn't include his in your letters of recommendation, I don't think I'd bring it, especially if you have seen it. I mean, nobody's going to show a letter of rec that they've seen that has negative stuff in it. The source would definitely have been a good one if you had gotten it in with the initial apps, but I wouldn't hand deliver it. Anyways, these are just my thoughts, ultimately it's up to you. Good Luck.

I wouldn't worry about bringing a notepad. You can if you like, but I am pretty sure they won't let you take it into the interview. When I interviewed there, I didn't bring one and I didn't need it. I would bring a pen though. They have you read a scientific article and allow you to take notes on it, but you cannot bring the notes into your interview. Actually, now that I think of it, they asked us to leave all of our stuff in the "pre-interview" room when we were called out to interview.

I would probably bring your research articles, but not the recommendation. They already have all of the recommendations they need. The interview is pretty low-key. Don't stress about it. If you have any other questions, let me know. Also, check out interviewfeedback.com

Anna

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it appropriate to ask the interviewer his email so that you can keep in touch with him, or maybe write him a thank you note? In that case wouldn't I have to bring some pen and paper with me to the interview? :confused:

If you are interviewing at LECOM (or MSUCOM, I interviewed there too), you get a sheet with the interviewer's names on it. If you want to contact them, you can use this. Most schools have an email system that isn't too hard to figure out. If you want to send them a thank you note, just send it to them at the school.

Honestly, I did not ask any of my interviewers for their email nor did I send them thank you notes. At LECOM, the interviewers take notes on you during the interview and once they are done filling out the sheet on you, I really doubt that they will remember you. I am not saying this to be rude, but LECOM is interviewing 1000 people this year. And I don't think that a thank-you note would help your chances of getting in. You sell yourself in the interview.

And any questions that you have for the interviewers (that you would ask in a post-interview email) could probably be answered by admissions personel. Thats what they are there for. The interviewers are very busy people and do many other things than conduct interviews.