Interview with Marymount University :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUchicSM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else interviewing with Marymount? I got an email from them today stating that I was in the 11am group :) Who else is going? Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an invite for the "interview day" if that's what you received as well. I most likely won't go though after seeing it will cost 32k a year

I also received an email for the interview day and I am also hesitant about attending due to the cost of tuition. However, I am leaning towards attending the interview day in order to check out the school and program. I am in the 8am group.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received the interview, but likely won't be attending due to me interviewing at Regis (2/1) the day prior to the interview day for Marymount (2/2).

I'll be there! I live in the area and I wouldn't mind staying in northern VA, so this school is a top choice for me.

Thanks for all the replies! Thanks for the post link for interview expectations.

That is really expensive but I'm still going. I only applied to 5 schools so I've gotta go where they'll take me. Marymount seems like a good school.

What about the cost of living in that area? I was looking at apartments and they seem really expensive...maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. I know it sounds cocky to look for apartments but I'm just checking costs in the regions I applied :)

Good luck everyone!

Marymount is one of the most expensive schools in one of the most expensive areas of the country. I interviewed there last year and tuition was $88k for three years. Now you all are saying it's $32k/year? Their program is on the sixth floor of a building that's going to be demolished in the next few years, and they don't even have their own cadavers. You have to go to Foggy Bottom to see them.

As for cost of living, you can rent a basement for $1000/month. A one bedroom apartment will cost easily $1200-$1500/month. It's not cheap to live in the Washington area. You can live farther from the school, but then traffic and HOV restrictions will be your nemeses.

If you're in-state, make VCU and ODU your top choices. Those programs are less than half the cost.

If you want more details about the interview at Marymount, PM me.

Kevin

Marymount is one of the most expensive schools in one of the most expensive areas of the country. I interviewed there last year and tuition was $88k for three years. Now you all are saying it's $32k/year? Their program is on the sixth floor of a building that's going to be demolished in the next few years, and they don't even have their own cadavers. You have to go to Foggy Bottom to see them.

As for cost of living, you can rent a basement for $1000/month. A one bedroom apartment will cost easily $1200-$1500/month. It's not cheap to live in the Washington area. You can live farther from the school, but then traffic and HOV restrictions will be your nemeses.

If you're in-state, make VCU and ODU your top choices. Those programs are less than half the cost.

If you want more details about the interview at Marymount, PM me.

Kevin

Yep, this is all true. I'm a VA resident and I'm hoping to get accepted to VCU since its more affordable than Marymount and Shenandoah. If I go to Marymount, then I will live rent-free, so that's the only reason I'd consider it. Northern VA is very expensive and there are more affordable options, in my opinion.

I also got invited for an interview starting at 8am. I am going to be attending since I already live in the DC area and would like to stay in this area too. Good luck to everyone going to the interview!

I did my undergrad at Marymount (2001-2005) and had most of my classes at the Ballston campus (where it sounds like the PT school is located). While the exterior of the building is hideous, as others have commented, it's a decent facility. I cannot speak to the sixth floor specifically, however.

I lived off campus, in Falls Church--a few Metro stops away from Ballston--for about a year in 2004. The rent for a nice studio apartment was about $900.00. I realize that all of this is quite dated, but I thought it was a wonderful place to live and learn and would bet that it still is.

I did not get a call for an interview and it was one of my top choices. Does anyone know if you are not called on interview day if there is any chance?

I did my undergrad at Marymount (2001-2005) and had most of my classes at the Ballston campus (where it sounds like the PT school is located). While the exterior of the building is hideous, as others have commented, it's a decent facility. I cannot speak to the sixth floor specifically, however.

I lived off campus, in Falls Church--a few Metro stops away from Ballston--for about a year in 2004. The rent for a nice studio apartment was about $900.00. I realize that all of this is quite dated, but I thought it was a wonderful place to live and learn and would bet that it still is.

The sixth floor is fine and the interior of the building is in good condition, but GW was nicer IMO and for $30k a year you should have the best facilities. Of course, quality of facilities should only be a minor consideration in your decision to attend a PT school.

That same studio apartment is probably $1200/month. Good luck finding a one bedroom apartment for $900/month in NoVA these days, especially anything near metro. But it is still a wonderful place to live and learn. There's plenty of night life, shopping, etc, and diversions.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also interviewing with Marymount University on 2/2. Anyone knows what they are asking? and anyone knows how likely to get accepted if you are invited for an interview at MU.

I'm just curious to see what everyone thought of interview day and the program today. I initially went to the interview just for "fun" due to the cost of tuition and COL, however I walked away really liking the program.

I thought the Interview day went well. I thought it was structured well and it flowed relatively smooth. I thought the group activity was less nerve racking than i first anticipated and I actually came away thinking that it was quite fun and actually a realistic problem solving approach in "the real world". The faculty seemed very down to earth yet focused, the students in the program spoke highly of it. Overall i got a good feel for the program, the few negatives were the possible building renovations while this entering class will be enrolled. All tuition is outrageous but Marymount seems to be about average for most schools unless your a fortunate in-state student somewhere getting a good deal. some of us are less fortunate. Certainly can't deny the cost of living either but Overall I liked the interview process and the program at Marymount.

but Marymount seems to be about average for most schools unless your a fortunate in-state student somewhere getting a good deal. some of us are less fortunate. Certainly can't deny the cost of living either but Overall I liked the interview process and the program at Marymount.

I'm assuming you mean that its tuition is about average for all schools. I think it's on the expensive end. Last year it was $88k and even the program director said her school "wasn't cheap" and encouraged us to consider in-state schools, which Marymount is not. I lived 20 miles from the school and would've paid the same tuition that someone from the other side of the country would have paid. It's a private school.

Kevin

It's not cheap. The tuition is now 94,200. That is an increase of 6,000 since last year. I have seen other private schools cheaper than this one that is for sure.
Anyways, I liked what I heard about the program a lot. I actually thought the one on one interview was a lot less stressful than the group interview. I actually felt pretty relaxed during the one on one interview.
I think competition is going to be worse than last year though because they said there were over 800 applicants this year, and 270 came to interview yesterday. Every applicant I talked to yesterday also said that Marymount is pretty much on the top of their list too or if it wasnt before it is now after having gone to the interview. And she said that in some years, they don't touch their waitlist at all.

Last edited:
I agree that the group interview wasn't right for interview day because of everyone competing to talk. It was definitely hard to get a word in and i think the groups should have been smaller for that reason. I also agree that the one on one interview was very relaxing. I have no idea how they are going to narrow down the applicants but I'm anxious to hear back.

I think the group activity was such a nice activity to observe students from their (MU) point of view. In my group (may be got lucky) no one interrupted each other and everyone got to talk. Everyone was very friendly and respectful. Since the modified problem solving approach is their unique teaching method, it was a good simulation for us to see how it was working. At the end of the interview day at MU, I felt that it was such a fun event that I joined. I wish everyone good luck!

Last edited:
Marymount is efficient and you should know if you've been accepted, waitlisted, or rejected in the next week or two. I was rejected just four days after the interview.

Kevin

I think the group activity was such a nice activity to observe students from their (MU) point of view. In my group (may be got lucky) no one interrupted each other and everyone got to talk. Everyone was very friendly and respectful. Since the modified problem solving approach is their unique teaching method, it was a good simulation for us to see how it was working. At the end of the interview day at MU, I felt that it was such a fun event that I joined. I wish everyone good luck!

I liked the group interview also. Maybe I got a lucky group also, but everyone was respectful and friendly. Nobody dominated the discussion and we built off of each other. I was also impressed with the other candidates who were there ( I was at the 2pm interview). When the day ended, everybody wished each other good luck, shook hands, nice meeting you etc., and I've never experienced that during an interview process (this was my 9th). Good luck to all who interviewed!

I received an acceptance today by email! I'm soooo excited because that means I can stay in northern VA! :soexcited: This school is a top choice for me and I can't wait to start and meet my classmates!!!! Anyone else receive an acceptance yet? Good luck everyone!! :banana:

Nice job DPTHopeful! I got an acceptance e-mail today as well! They interviewed SO many people I didn't want to get my hopes up. I did not see this coming at all.

decision time...yikes

Congrats! I know, there are only 36 seats for about 275 interviewees... Yikes, I was scared for my chances. Will you be attending? Which schools are you debating between?

I am deciding, as of now, between Marymount, BU and MGH IHP. I have no idea what I am going to do. I feel incredibly lucky to be accepted into multiple programs but stressed as crap about it. Three very different programs in two pretty similar cities (NOVA + DC counts as one city for this conversation) so we will see what happens.

I am deciding, as of now, between Marymount, BU and MGH IHP. I have no idea what I am going to do. I feel incredibly lucky to be accepted into multiple programs but stressed as crap about it. Three very different programs in two pretty similar cities (NOVA + DC counts as one city for this conversation) so we will see what happens.

Are they all the same cost for you? That'd be my #1 favor in deciding between them.

I haven't heard yet. Is this a bad sign?

I dunno how they send out acceptances/denials/alternates. They could do it in one wave or multiple, not sure. At the interview Dr. Ries said everybody will find out by Friday though. Good luck :luck:

I agree. I think when you are deciding between all very good schools of the same caliber, go with price. 30K isn't chump change. You're going to be happy with the education you get at any of those places.

Thank you! and Congratulations to you, DPTHopeful2012!!!

Just found out I was waitlisted. Better than being rejected though, especially with my low stats!

I was waitlisted as well, which took me by surprise. I thought I would have been rejected because I felt like the interview day did not go so great...so I was definitely surprised. I think I read from years past, that they usually put around 45 people on the waitlist.

Also waitlisted. And Now to play the waiting game.

I was wait listed too. Pretty bummed out but at least its not a flat out denial!