Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoomn

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know, who here had the lastest interview? I have mine @ 3:00pm. Is that usual?

Members don't see this ad.

I had one as late as 2:30... and I know other people in my interview groups had them scheduled as late as 4:00. I wouldn't be too concerned... it will give you more time to talk with current students and check out the school.

Both of mine at Cornell were at 3 and 4:15 pm.
BTW, the 3pm got there late and didn't really
begin until 3:20pm.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you advise, I have a 3:00pm interview. Is it worth while to go from the beginning of the program (being there @ 8:00am) or should I just show up there @ 2:50pm? Does it make a difference? :rolleyes:

The medical school interview of you is only one part of the reason for you to be there. It is also your chance to "interview" the medical school by speaking with medical students about your concerns, i.e. safety issues, housing, local transportation, real costs and cost-of living, recreation: what do you do for fun?, structure of the curriculum, quality of teaching, examinations, clinical work, financial aid, what the interview is like: structure and questions commonly asked, and whatever else you might be concerned about. Take a stroll through beautiful downtown of wherevever. If you don't do all that while you are there on your interview day, should you be accepted and have choices of where to attend, how will you decide which? Make another trip back to do what you didn't do while you were there? Pick the most "prestigious" (a lousy way to choose), least expensive, closest to or farthest from home, whatever. You have to evaluate as well what I call your "comfort level" or "happiness" index. To function well you have to thrive wherever you are. If you dislike or hate it, you are likely to end up unhappy and in the bottom part of your class. There is far more than folks think that should be thrown into the mix to decide where to attend.

Since you might become a medical student there you need to ask the inmates--medical students-- not the keepers--faculty--these questions. It would not be amiss, and well worth the expense, to arrive no later than noon the day before the interview (which will obviate the possibility of getting lost, and late, on the Day) hang your hat somewhere--a motel or hotel room-- freshen up and find your way to the medical school, seeking medical students to speak with. Either ask the admissions office to point you in the right direction or look for a student lounge or dining room. If you want to the job really right, stay around another day, say hello and let the folks in the Admissions Office see you again. You might even try to find your interviewer again, the excuse being you had another question you failed to ask the day before. Compare this to what you planned: sweep in at the last moment and light out for home as soon as you can. Besides giving you more genuine information on how to choose, which scenario will leave the best impression, if any at all, and best demonstrate genuine interest in the medical school? If you don't get an A on this quiz with an easy answer, you deserve an F!
Sure it is more expensive, but considering your investment, the expense of college, applications, going to inyerviews and medical school tuition, it is a drop in the proverbial bucket. More than worth the investment in your future.

Even if the medical school is in your home town, you should prepare this way and not saunter in cold.