Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icuriosity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been accepted to optometry schools and didn't have an inspirational childhood moment where you knew you wanted to pursue some career in vision, how did you specifically respond to the question "Why Optometry?". I'm concerned on how long I should go on explaining how I developed interest in the career.

My personal narrative goes something like
Interests in healthcare in H.S-> Joined pre-healthcare clubs in college-> took a leadership role in pre-med-> took physics and physiology classes-> decided i enjoyed optics and neuro the most-> decided I wanted to pursue a career in either neurology or optometry-> Did not want to cut into people or be looking at feet legs and such and wanted to keep doing optical measurements-> Decided optometry would give me the most of what I wanted (in an academic sense)

I feel I may run into a problem with appearing not genuinely sold on optometry
since I looked into the field of dentistry and medicine for about half of undergrad

Any input on how to strengthen my appearance would be helpful to me

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have been accepted to optometry schools and didn't have an inspirational childhood moment where you knew you wanted to pursue some career in vision, how did you specifically respond to the question "Why Optometry?". I'm concerned on how long I should go on explaining how I developed interest in the career.

My personal narrative goes something like
Interests in healthcare in H.S-> Joined pre-healthcare clubs in college-> took a leadership role in pre-med-> took physics and physiology classes-> decided i enjoyed optics and neuro the most-> decided I wanted to pursue a career in either neurology or optometry-> Did not want to cut into people or be looking at feet legs and such and wanted to keep doing optical measurements-> Decided optometry would give me the most of what I wanted (in an academic sense)

I feel I may run into a problem with appearing not genuinely sold on optometry
since I looked into the field of dentistry and medicine for about half of undergrad

Any input on how to strengthen my appearance would be helpful to me

I think that's a great approach - being honest about why optometry will always be best. You could strengthen it by adding something about a time when you shadowed an optometrist, saw a cool patient case, and really felt sure this was what you wanted to do. Or it doesn't even have to be a moment- mention the shadowing or involvement in a pre-opt club or whatever experience you have shows your exposure to the field and talk about how that experience really sealed it for you. You might also play down the negativity on why NOT the other field, and instead focus on the positives of optometry. Hope that helps! I really wouldn't stress out it - using good writing skills to be honest about how you picked this field will make a strong paper. Have someone else look it over for you and ask if your passion for the field shows through it, and if not where they think you could tweak things to better express it.

i honestly think your reasons are perfectly fine. Interviewers are looking for genuine answers. Just make sure to integrate your passion for this profession (doesn't have to be over the top). Tell them what it is about this field that draws you in, what you are most excited about etc.

Also, they like it when you explore your options.

Members don't see this ad :)