Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePT1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Irecently was contacted to attend an interview day and was told I could bring family members. Is it a good idea to bring them to show you have a support system. Or should I just go alone?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I dont think it really matters...so many factors go into whether or not family members can attend an interview (which could be hundreds of miles away for some people) that I believe it would be really stupid of a school to hold it against an applicant if their family does not go with them.

Do they have specific activities planned for the family members?

well on the flip side, you are going to be a graduate student and shouldn't need to have a family member with you. We have had a few days where prospective students can come look at the program and we just kind of shake our heads or look awkwardly when we have prospective students that are walking around with their mom and dad's. Just gives the perspective of "are they really all grown up yet?"

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a strong support system be thankful.They have invested in you!!! Never too old! Go to interview alone but open houses are open!!

They just say small group activities it doesnt say directly if there is anything including family members.

well on the flip side, you are going to be a graduate student and shouldn't need to have a family member with you. We have had a few days where prospective students can come look at the program and we just kind of shake our heads or look awkwardly when we have prospective students that are walking around with their mom and dad's. Just gives the perspective of "are they really all grown up yet?"
It's an all day thing. They call it interview and preview day. I just don't want to bring family if know one else has family. But I also don't want to be the only person there without family.

I would go without the family member. You're an adult now. You can do it. If the family member wants to visit the area, that's fine, but they shouldn't come with you to the waiting room or take a tour with you. Even if they're helping you financially, they can take a tour later. This isn't undergraduate school, where parents accompanying students is common. At all the interviews I went to, I hardly saw any parents. If you bring your family, you'll be one of the few applicants with a family member, and I think you'll give the impression that you're young.

Kevin