Interviewee was friends with Student Interviewer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gosia5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader. I just got back from an interview in which there was a dental student interviewer. After one of the applicants/interviewees in my interview group came back, he said he knew the interviewer and that they were good friends so he isn't worried about how the interview went. Then the interviewer came in and told his friend, the applicant, that he would see him later that night for dinner.

I can't help but feel like this is an unfair advantage. Obviously, if the person interviewing you is a friend, they are going to give you glowing remarks and highly recommend you for admissions.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader. I just got back from an interview in which there was a dental student interviewer. After one of the applicants/interviewees in my interview group came back, he said he knew the interviewer and that they were good friends so he isn't worried about how the interview went. Then the interviewer came in and told his friend, the applicant, that he would see him later that night for dinner.

I can't help but feel like this is an unfair advantage. Obviously, if the person interviewing you is a friend, they are going to give you glowing remarks and highly recommend you for admissions.

Any thoughts?

First of all, I don't think the student interview is going to be the deciding factor for whether or not that person gets into the school. While they value a student's perspective, I have also heard it is a lot for the interviewee's comfort, also. Secondly, there is sometimes benefits from networking. Do what you can to get in the know. I don't think it is all that unfair that they were friends. Also, I don't think it is necessarily true that just because they are their friend, they will give them glowing remarks. It is likely they will speak positively on their behalf, but if they truly don't think they are qualified, I don't think they would necessarily say they are. Having dinner during the decision making process could be crossing a line though if they had any info on the student's standing.

I'm sure there is a faculty interview of some sort to balance out the student interview. In any case, this just exemplifies the power of networking and knowing people. This is especially true for residency programs, for example, when letters of recommendation could come from the director of the program itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did none of the admissions people see that? I was at a school where an interviewee obviously knew his interviewer (gave her a big hug) and the admissions people immediately changed her interviewer. And this was at a school where the student interview is weighted equally as the faculty one.

Unfortunately, none of the coordinators saw this and this school weighs both faculty and student interview equally.

I think its fair. Getting any position whether it is a seat in school, job, etc is all about networking. His network just connected him for that interview. If your network is bigger, the odds of someone helping you out gets higher. You will learn soon in life (after you are in the job market) HOW IMPORTANT networking really is. So all in all it is fair.

Last edited:
I think you should have more of an issue with the school. Don't know why it is appropriate/necessary for schools to give their students information regarding the candidates coming for interviews.

wow. some people are so sheltered. news flash: the world isnt fair.

Many are saying this is networking, but where does it cross the line from networking to conflict of interest?

Of course this may not be fair, but mind your own business. Focus on your interview and maximizing your discussion time with your interviewer.

This entire world works on connections. Luck has a lot to do with it as well. Being at the right place at the right time.

There is clearly a conflict of interest in this situation, no way in hell would an adcom allow this.

The people talking about 'networking' are full of it.

As far as doing something about it, I don't know what options you have. Being the tattle-tale is sort of a lose-lose. Your best option is to probably not do anything about it or hope that someone else might have said something. If you talk to any administrators at the school, maybe try and bring it up to test the water as a question like, "what happens if someone knows their interviewer" and see what they say. I really doubt they would let someone interview someone they knew on a personal level - this is a pretty big no-no for interviewers across all professional worlds.

Last edited:
I agree it's an unfair advantage, but if it's a private school, then stuff like that works. At public schools the ADCOMs are more worried about it being completely fair across the board, because they have the government to answer to if they're doing anything that isn't fair. Private schools, however, work off of connections (think networking to get an interview or to get a seat), and that's something nobody can change, besides the school, itself.

When I interviewed at a state school, there was an interviewee who was assigned an interviewer he knew. HE promptly informed the interviewers who spoke with the ADCOM to have him be interviewed by someone else. One, it was very kind on his part, two, it's a public school so that's why they did it. However, at a private school I interviewed at, one of the students knew the interviewer and was thrilled to be interviewing with him, but no one suggested changing the interviewer (I thought it was a little unfair, but hey, his luck, his network, and its up to the school).

These things happen a lot, I guess, so we just have to work on bettering our application and not letting these things affect us. I'm sure a lot more shady business goes on than what we are aware of, so don't let this bring you down; instead, learn from this and try to use this type of information to your advantage. Good luck :)

Unfortunately, none of the coordinators saw this and this school weighs both faculty and student interview equally.

In spite of your assertion, it is unlikely that the student interviewer is on equal footing with faculty members. You may also be overestimating the real significance of the coziness, not to mention the "interviewee's" competitive edge or lack thereof.

Last edited:
Although networking IS a big part in the social world, it should not be a factor in decision(s) of a more qualified applicant over another. Unfortunately, networking is probably a big factor in both private and public schools. It's not fair, but spend time improving yourself instead of mulling over it.

Well it happens. I have seen it happen before too, but I don't think student interviewer have a big saying, so don't think too much about it.