Interviewer made me solve a rubik's cube!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
no ****. this actually happened today to me at suny-stonybrook. fortunately, and to the interviewer's surprise, i solved it, and he shat himself.

after calming down, he told me he would strongly recommend my application and he then gave me a ride to the train station.

-pimpin.

Members don't see this ad.

LOL, if true, that's hilarious. :D :D Who knew the trick to getting into med school wasn't grades or MCAT's, but just being able to solve a Rubik's cube! I can just see all the gunners going out and purchasing one and start practicing.

promise you it's all true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I had been at that interview...I've been spending about 2 hrs a day for the last two months perfecting my Rubik's skills. They're not hard to solve with some practice (if you're good at memorizing patterns). Congrats on the interview and on being able to solve a cube under pressure!

If anyone's interested in learning how to solve it: <a href="http://ng.netgate.net/~mette/lars/cubedude/" target="_blank">Rubik's Cube Solution</a>

With patience, you'll start seeing the patterns!

If you are being serious...then that is friggin' awesome! I suppose if worst came to worst and you couldn't solve it, you could take off the little stickers and place all in the right places!!! It would get the job done. What a cool interview... just shows you that it pays to play games :D

How long did it take you?

That's incredible. I believe you, but that's really unbelievable. I would not have been able to solve it - and I'm a fairly smart person - I think - maybe not...I guess I'm gonna have to go out and buy one of those goddamn things now. (I wish I were kidding :D ) But it will be fun practicing at the airports on the way to interviews I guess!

The best bet is to pop out the removable pieces, and then reassemble it into the solved position. It takes about 2 minutes that way. I used to drive my sister nuts when we were kids. She'd leave her rubik's cube in her room in an unsolved state, and I would do the disassembly / reassembly thing and leave it on her dresser. She thought I was some damn genius, when I was just devious. :D

Sorry dude, but... I don't believe you.

O.K. If you don't believe me, that is your right. However, I will maintain the validity of my statements :)

For the sake of your own sanity, try it sometime. It's really very easy to take apart and then reassemble into a solved position. They just pop right apart and snap back together.

I could be wrong, but I'm 99% sure jimjones was talking to choker and not racerx. :) Why would someone not believe that you can take a Rubik's cube apart? Haven't we all cheated at least once? I know I have.

The MCAT comes to mind for me ;-) --Trek

Before anyone turns me in, for the record i didn't cheat, it was A JOKE !

Originally posted by Jamier2:
Haven't we all cheated at least once? I know I have.[/QB]••

Ok, so I have my Rubik's cube now, how much practice do you think I need :D

Originally posted by Goku:
•Ok, so I have my Rubik's cube now, how much practice do you think I need :D •••

Took me about 2 weeks to memorize the patterns (and be able to do them) - then another 4 weeks to practice. After about a month or two, you should be able to solve it pretty quickly (under 3 minutes). You need to practice a LOT to get your time under 3 minutes. As a comparison, keep in mind that the world champion can do it in under 12 seconds.

i briefly alluded to my ability to solve a rubik's cube in my essay (a real brief side-note) just to mention an abstract original talent. so he busted one out and tested me.

really great interviewer, knew every tiny detail of my application inside and out before i got there.

solving the cube really isn't hard, it just takes time and great procedural memory. i was bored last winter break, so i spent my time watching Xena, X-files, and infomercials all while messing with the cube till i had it down in around 2-3 minutes. it's a great ice-breaker/random thing to mention about yourself in an interview situation!

I was indeed refering to Choker's original. Sorry RacerX. Hey Racer... did you go to Spartan???

When I was a kid (5 or 6) I dumbfounded my parents by solving the cube... but actually picked the stickers off and put them on to solve

:cool:

Great minds think alike Jimjones--I did the exact same thing! Cheers! ;)