Interviewing and taxes

Started by moodydoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

moodydoc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a quick question. Wondering if anyone knows whether application fees and the cost of interviewing are tax-deductible?
 
Just a quick question. Wondering if anyone knows whether application fees and the cost of interviewing are tax-deductible?

For residency?
How are you having to pay taxes in medical school? are you really making that much money?
 
wife and other sources provide income... I know that USMLE can be deducted not sure about the rest though
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
they are no problem, just boot up turbo tax and check it out if you are worried.
 
I think this has been asked before (especially on the finances forum or in general residency) and the consensus seems to be that interview expenses for medical school or residency CANNOT be deducted. I do not know about fellowships though...

I don't know why this is, but I believe there is some technical explanation that involves residency being considered "education."