Interviewing at the SAME school twice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AtotheK

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on here that has been accepted, had interviewed twice at the same school before they got in?? My question really is why would the school interview you the following cycle after they had not accepted you the previous one? And does it increase you chance because you are being interviewed again?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not interviewed twice at the same school, but i know people who have. Just because a person did not get in after interviewing the first time it does not necessarily mean the school did not want them. The people i know who have interviewed twice at a school were put on the waitlist after the first time and just never got off of it.

A school may also interview someone again if they significantly improved their application.

The schools look at thousands of applications and I wouldn't be surprised if they forget the names of who they have interviewed from year to year. Some might remember or look back, but maybe not all.

I really wouldn't think it would increase your chances any. Maybe decrease if you get there and they're like "oh yea I remember you, you were a pain in the a**"

I interviewed twice at the same school. I didn't think anything of it or question it at all. People change after a year. If they were interested in dentistry a year ago and didn't get it they probably did a lot over the past year to improve their chances. At least that is how I was. The school gave me the option to just come in the afternoon for the interview portion ONLY and that I could skip the tour and everything in the morning since I had already been there the year before. I opted to go for the entire day so I had the chance to ask the questions I had. I'm very glad the school interviewed me again because I felt my second interview was so much better than the first based on my interview experience and the experiences I had over the past year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to UT Memphis for the 2007 cycle, interviewed and was rejected. I applied again for the 2008 cycle and didn't hear anything - not even a "hey we got your application" - from them until January when they accepted me!

Reapplying to a school you've already interviewed at, especially when your GPA or DAT scores have increased isn't a bad idea. If they offer you a second interview, it just gives you one more chance to make a favorable impression and show your interest in their school. They don't always reject you the first time around because of your interview, occasionally it can be grades, ECs, DAT, etc.

I interviewed twice at Maryland and was invited by temple twice (although with temple you don't have to go the second year) My application was stronger the 2nd time around, and the interviews were much earlier. (Feb interviews versus October interviews)

I was waitlisted at both the first time, and very few people got off the waitlist at both schools last year...

I have on the other hand gotten waitlisted at one school year 1, and then rejected the second year without an interview. So in my opinion if they like you the first year, and u interviewed late, it could be that they just didnt have room for you the first time. If they don't like you then you might not get an interview

I interviewed at three schools in year one and was waitlisted three times. In year two I interviewed at 7 schools and received 5 offers.

Penn waitlisted me year one, and accepted me year two. I’ll start school there in August.

UNC waitlisted me year one and rejected me year two.

Case waitlisted me year one and I don’t know what is going on with them year two – and who cares?

Nothing changed between year one and year two – same application, same personal statement, same observation hours. I have been working in a totally unrelated field during this process.

Good luck!