Interviewing: Earlier or Later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dynamite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been searching the forum but haven't found any info. So, do y'all think interviewing earlier in the season is better or later. What I've heard is that later is better because they will remember you. But, any drawback to interviewing late?

Members don't see this ad.

dynamite said:
I've been searching the forum but haven't found any info. So, do y'all think interviewing earlier in the season is better or later. What I've heard is that later is better because they will remember you. But, any drawback to interviewing late?

It makes absolutely no significant difference whether you interview early or late. Just realize that you may end up cancelling a lot of your interviews that you schedule later on as money and enthusiasm become in more and more in short supply.

I think interviewing earlier is better because you can decide which place you really like best and do second looks later on to show how interested you are. You have the info you need to make some decisions earlier and you can show your face at the program later to remind them who you are.

Sugar72 said:
I think interviewing earlier is better because you can decide which place you really like best and do second looks later on to show how interested you are. You have the info you need to make some decisions earlier and you can show your face at the program later to remind them who you are.

How many people really do second looks? Going in the first place to 10 or so places is expensive enough but to visit a few places again? Not me.

Solideliquid said:
How many people really do second looks? Going in the first place to 10 or so places is expensive enough but to visit a few places again? Not me.
I am going to do at least one, maybe 2. However, I am only interviewing at places within driving distance. I think that places are more likely to rank people that they know are really interested. They want to fill. I can totally see your point and I don't think it is crucial to do second looks - but I want to make sure my top 3 programs really know they are the top 3 by going out of my way to do a second look. I hope you are right that most people don't do them.