Interviewing for a hospital pharmacy intern position soon, what questions should I expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmaSarah

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I am currently a P2. Within the next week or so, I will be interviewing for a PT hospital pharmacy intern position. I don't have any previous pharmacy work experience (lucky for me I have done well in school so far), so I'm not sure what kinds of questions I should expect to be asked during the interview. Do they normally just ask candidates standard job interview questions?

I spoke with one of the hospital network's DOPs, and she told me that I would talk to several pharmacists from different departments during the interview, so I'm wondering if I could be asked some tough curveball questions. I wonder if I should also prepare to be asked random questions on didactic material I should have learned in pharmacy school so far. I'm assuming I will be interviewed by people from HR as well.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys would be willing to provide!
 
Yes, expect all the normal standard job interview questions. More hospitals are doing pharmacy"tests" for applicants, especially large hospitals, so I would be prepared for that. Calculations is probably the biggest thing to be prepared for. Someone here posted they had to figure out a TPN from scratch. Knowledgewise, as a P2, I would expect you are going to be prepared for anything they throw at you. The biggest part of the interview will be the different pharmacists deciding if they think you will meld well in their hospital. (and likewise you need to be asking questions to make sure that you are going to meld well in that hospital.)