Interviewing for waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

At what point are we interviewing for spots on the waitlist?

• Total voters

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted this same poll in pre-allo, but wanted your opinions also. I realize it's still early, but I'm still curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it happens for sure. Personally, I think I am interviewing at azcom for a waitlist spot.

I don't think interviewing for the wait list really begins until after the class is near full

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think interviewing for the wait list really begins until after the class is near full

I agree. I'm wondering at what point SDNers think that happens.

Depends on the school. Some fill their classes earlier rather than later. AZCOM last year still had spots probably up until March I would say.

i'd say that in march, there may be a few that aren't full, but in april, you are basically interviewing everywhere for a waitlist spot.

Depends on the school. Some fill their classes earlier rather than later. AZCOM last year still had spots probably up until March I would say.

i'd say that in march, there may be a few that aren't full, but in april, you are basically interviewing everywhere for a waitlist spot.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well.

I can't see any upside for schools to admit on a rolling basis. Do you think they purposely leave open spots for highly qualified, but late, applicants?

This is what I would do if I were running a school.

but that is assuming that you are primarily getting bad applicants. if you save a few spots for good applicants, and they come, then you get a couple more really good ones, what do you do. With the application process as competitive as it is, there are tons of good applicants that schools don't need to wait. also, if you are running a school, business sense would be to fill up your entire class as soon as humanly possible and hope that some drop so they don't get their non refundable deposit back. much smarter than holding a few spots just in case.

but that is assuming that you are primarily getting bad applicants. if you save a few spots for good applicants, and they come, then you get a couple more really good ones, what do you do. With the application process as competitive as it is, there are tons of good applicants that schools don't need to wait. also, if you are running a school, business sense would be to fill up your entire class as soon as humanly possible and hope that some drop so they don't get their non refundable deposit back. much smarter than holding a few spots just in case.

Bingo. This is exactly why they do this.

That definitely makes sense then

I hadn't thought about that. Do schools really make a significant amount of money off those non-refundable deposits?

I hadn't thought about that. Do schools really make a significant amount of money off those non-refundable deposits?
I also agree it depends on the school, I would lean more towards february... Schools don't make a bunch of money off of these deposits but it serves a more of an incentive for people to not hold a bunch of seats into those later months of the cycle.

I also agree it depends on the school, I would lean more towards february... Schools don't make a bunch of money off of these deposits but it serves a more of an incentive for people to not hold a bunch of seats into those later months of the cycle.

Yea it's definitely a strong incentive for me. If I'm lucky enough to get accepted to one of the schools I'm interviewing at next month (or NSU on tuesday :xf:) I'm going to withdraw from just about everywhere else.

i agree with feb or maybe even earlier. my best friend interviewed for a waitlist spot in like January? I think. Im curious to enough to ask him now, lol. They didnt even tell him till after the interview.

It cant be even earlier than posted. SOMA filled up very early last year (early Dec if I remember right).

Not sure how this info helps anything though

i agree with feb or maybe even earlier. my best friend interviewed for a waitlist spot in like January? I think. Im curious to enough to ask him now, lol. They didnt even tell him till after the interview.

What school was this?

I know western definitely leaves spots open through April for qualified applicants. For USC, you're pretty much interviewing for waitlist spots come February.

I know these schools seem random, but those are the 2 of which I know the most about their admissions process.

I think it has to do with how competitive the school is. Most schools are around that phase after march.

I know western definitely leaves spots open through April for qualified applicants. For USC, you're pretty much interviewing for waitlist spots come February.

I know these schools seem random, but those are the 2 of which I know the most about their admissions process.

Just wondering since some schools are rolling over almost 50% of the class from last years waiting list?