Interviewing on Saturday?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an interview at UCLA and noticed that they interview on Saturday, which would be really convenient for me. Has anyone ever done an interview on Saturday there (or anywhere else), and if so, was it a good experience? I'm concerned that there won't be many residents there and I won't get a good perspective of the program if I don't go during the week. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview at UCLA and noticed that they interview on Saturday, which would be really convenient for me. Has anyone ever done an interview on Saturday there (or anywhere else), and if so, was it a good experience? I'm concerned that there won't be many residents there and I won't get a good perspective of the program if I don't go during the week. Any opinions?

Congratulations!!!! :thumbup:

I noticed that, and I was super-tempted to pick those dates, but I was confused as to how we would be able to interact with residents, too. They can't make them come in on the weekends just to talk to us....and I have some questions for them!! So I buckled and squeezed it in during a weekday in January amidst my other interviews.

PROS: plenty of residents work on weekends (admitted kids don't just go home for the weekend, so they still need docs around :) and because there is more flexibility in schedule, there are actually MORE residents around to talk, per interviewee. I interviewed on a Saturday and loved my experience. Fortunately, I had flexibility in my schedule and returned on Monday for a couple hours to see how things were on a weekday.

CON: not a 'typical day on the job' experience. You won't get to see the level of interaction/stress/attendance at conferences. You could of course infer by asking questions.

best wishes to all you guys. Enjoy the interview day as an opportunity to meet your future colleagues in this great career path!