Interviews 2005/2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grunermann

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it might help to learn who is hearing from whom. I'll start.

Interviews so far:

via email:
UAB*
Emory*
JHU
UW
UF
LIJ
SUNY Brooklyn*

via message through ERAS:
UNC*
Univ of Colorado
Yale
USF
Duke
Beth Israel*
St. Vincent's*
Mt. Sinai*
Cambridge*
UCSD*

via phone:
UCSF*

via Snail Mail:
Georgetown

Rejection:
Columbia
OHSU

Not heard from:
NYU
Cornell

* means I will attend interview.
Good luck everyone! It's such an exciting/exhausting time!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I don't have much to contribute...as I have not heard from any programs yet.

Boards: Step1/2CK = 82 for both. CS = pass
Programs: 63

I have been checking ADTS and at least 1/3 of the programs have not downloaded my application fom ERAS. I have everything uploaded on the other hand, all is ready.

I have been invited to interview at:

Case Western

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory and University of Washington Seattle....

have you guys scheduled the interviews yet? I'd like to wait a while so that I can hopefully group my interviews together by location. I just don't know if it's bad form to not reply back right away.

jennyklm said:
Emory and University of Washington Seattle....

have you guys scheduled the interviews yet? I'd like to wait a while so that I can hopefully group my interviews together by location. I just don't know if it's bad form to not reply back right away.

Jenny-

Did you get an email or phone call?

oh and are you an IMG or AMG?

Solideliquid said:
Jenny-

UW does it by e-mail (N=2). One of my friends submitted on 9/1 and received a UW invite on 9/7.

Interviews:
Emory

I got an email for both...

AMG from decent US med school. I submitted my app on 9/2...

Solideliquid said:
Jenny-

Wash. U. by e-mail this morning! My first, and so far my only! :laugh:
Oh well, what a way to start!

QUOTE=felicity]Emory!

I'm excited![/QUOTE]

Congratulations Felicity and EVERYONE else who has, thus far, gotten invites. :thumbup:

Let's keep it going!

UW, by e-mail

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious when the first interview date for UW is.

Congrats to everyone so far!

grunermann said:
Just curious when the first interview date for UW is.

Congrats to everyone so far!
Dates are November 14, 21, 28 and 29, December 5, 6, 12, 13, and 14, and January 3, 9, 10, 17, 23, 24, 30 and 31.

Cheers
-AT.

Emory, UC-Davis, UNC-CH, & Harvard-Longwood. All e-mail

WU, U of W, Emory, and U of Cincinnati. All by e-mail

And UNC today, also by e-mail. Not sure if and how to schedule this one for now as I would like to hit Duke on the same trip, but haven't yet heard from them.

UNC, yippee

nortomaso said:
And UNC today, also by e-mail. Not sure if and how to schedule this one for now as I would like to hit Duke on the same trip, but haven't yet heard from them.

yeah, duke has not downloaded my stuff yet....guess they are waiting for more materials (our school has not yet posted our transcript or deans letter)??? im anxious to hear from them too!

nortomaso said:

UNC and Univ. of Wisconsin--both by e-mail! Also waiting on Duke!

My school has submitted everything; however, I am still waiting on two LORs! MGH hasn't downloaded anything yet. I know it's still early, but I'm starting to feel like an addict waiting for my next fix--I check ERAS AT LEAST ten times a day! :scared:

Interviews so far:

SUNY at Buffalo, NY
Robert Woods, Camden NJ

Johns Hopkins and U of Wisc today by e-mail

So far I have two interviews scheduled.

1: Case Western, Cleveland
2: Washington University, St. Louis

These are a great start but hoping for more.

Adding St. Louis and Univ. of Florida

UAB and Scott & White (TAMU)

A "thanks but no thanks" already from UT-Houston :(

Just got JHU, my first.

Case/UH
Emory
Hopkins

I applied to 17 so hopefully they will keep coming! :luck:

Anyone hear from Duke? I heard from UNC, but I want to schedule them for the same trip. Wondering how long to sit on scheduling the UNC interview while waiting for Duke...

VANDERBILT by e-mail!

I realize this may be the wrong place to ask, but I sent off my app about a week ago. How soon do you get interview requests? :confused:

Hurricane said:
Anyone hear from Duke? I heard from UNC, but I want to schedule them for the same trip. Wondering how long to sit on scheduling the UNC interview while waiting for Duke...

I'm in the same boat. According to ERAS, Duke (along with Mass Gen) hasn't even downlaoded my app yet, so I'm guessing they take their time and wait for most of the apps to be in before choosing interviewees.

blueberri2006 said:
I realize this may be the wrong place to ask, but I sent off my app about a week ago. How soon do you get interview requests? :confused:

Hi Blueberri!

To the contrary, this is the perfect place to ask. I submitted my application three days prior to my first invite--Wash.U./St. Louis. After that, however, the invites were nil; then, ten days later, two at once! Just keep checking; then, when you least expect them, EXPECT THEM.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Mosche

nortomaso said:
I'm in the same boat. According to ERAS, Duke (along with Mass Gen) hasn't even downlaoded my app yet, so I'm guessing they take their time and wait for most of the apps to be in before choosing interviewees.

Hm, so what's the proper etiquette: No communication with UNC until I either hear from Duke (or hear that other people got invited to Duke and I didn't), or send them an email accepting their offer and tell them I'd like to hold off scheduling it for the time being. Or go ahead and schedule it, and gamble that I'll be able to schedule Duke for the same trip?

Arrr, interviewing is giving me a headache already and I haven't even started yet!

Hurricane said:
Hm, so what's the proper etiquette: No communication with UNC until I either hear from Duke (or hear that other people got invited to Duke and I didn't), or send them an email accepting their offer and tell them I'd like to hold off scheduling it for the time being. Or go ahead and schedule it, and gamble that I'll be able to schedule Duke for the same trip?

Arrr, interviewing is giving me a headache already and I haven't even started yet!
You'll get different responses depending on who you ask. I'm in the same boat -- I was going to hold off on scheduling UW until I heard from OHSU, which last time I checked hasn't downloaded my application yet. Some advisors told me to go ahead and schedule ("especially if the programs aren't even in the same league" -- told to me by a UW alum, ha). Some advisors told me that it was okay to e-mail the program assistant, accept the interview offer, but defer scheduling the interview until your travel plans firm up.

In the end, you just have to make a choice. I decided to schedule, and hopefully in the meantime OHSU will get back to me and I can knock off both interviews in the same trip. If it doesn't work out, then I can always try to reschedule the UW interview.

-AT.

Just thought that I'd post that Duke finally downloaded; so, I'm assuming/hoping that we will be hearing something soon!

Just an update:

Johns Hopkins 11/7
Case/UH 10/31
University of Washington TBA
Emory 11/18

Let's keep 'em coming, I submitted on 9/9 and the interviews came pretty steady for a few days and now I'm getting greedy ;) I'm disappointed every day if there isn't one in my email - pretty sad! I think Mass General is the only one that hasn't downloaded my app, I guess every school has their own timing.

Has anyone heard whether programs wait until your transcript is in to offer interviews. Our school has been really slow with transcripts and mine isn't in yet. I think that might be something that slows down the process - any thoughts?

mosche said:
Just thought that I'd post that Duke finally downloaded; so, I'm assuming/hoping that we will be hearing something soon!
Duke downloaded but will not be offering interview slots until November 1st. They're waiting for the Dean's Letters (which don't get uploaded until November 1st). It might not be advisable to wait that long to schedule your UNC interviews...

-AT.

got wash U as well

my stats:
step 1: 179 1st attempt -> 197 2nd attempt
will take step 2 cs and ck next month
b.s. in psych as an undergrad
published an honors thesis back then on depression and coping mechanisms
high pass in fp, psych, and ob/gyn third year
honors in behavioral science 1st year, high pass in a few others

transcript and
2 lors in thus far (fp and psych sub-i)
awaiting a 3rd lor (ob/gyn)

interviews:
jhu
uva
umdnj- camden
temple- but no interview dates yet

MDgonnabe said:
my stats:
step 1: 179 1st attempt -> 197 2nd attempt
will take step 2 cs and ck next month
b.s. in psych as an undergrad
published an honors thesis back then on depression and coping mechanisms
high pass in fp, psych, and ob/gyn third year
honors in behavioral science 1st year, high pass in a few others

MDgonnabe-

I have the same board scores as you in step 1/2ck and passed cs.

I also have an interview in camden, I scheduled in November how do you feel about that place I am unfamiliar with the NY/NJ area (I hear its cold, brr). LOL maybe we will bump into each other.

I have three interviews offered and scheduled so far:

Case Western
Washington University
Eastern Virginia

Question: I've been sending 3 LORs, are there any programs that need a fourth? I know Stanford does.

Solideliquid said:
I also have an interview in camden, I scheduled in November how do you feel about that place I am unfamiliar with the NY/NJ area (I hear its cold, brr). LOL maybe we will bump into each other.

i'm in the philly area. extremes in weather aside, camden isn't the safest place in the world, to put it lightly. but because of that, i'm guessing there'll be some interesting pathology for the residency program. can't imagine psychotherapy being an emphasis there because of the patient population; but i'm not going for psychotherapy, so that's ok for me.

i scheduled my interview for december. i'm on a west coast away rotation until mid- to late-november, which means december will be my main interview month.

MDgonnabe said:
i'm in the philly area. extremes in weather aside, camden isn't the safest place in the world, to put it lightly. but because of that, i'm guessing there'll be some interesting pathology for the residency program. can't imagine psychotherapy being an emphasis there because of the patient population; but i'm not going for psychotherapy, so that's ok for me.

i scheduled my interview for december. i'm on a west coast away rotation until mid- to late-november, which means december will be my main interview month.

I have lived most of my life in Los Angeles, so I am pretty much prepared for any city deemed "not the safest in the world". In terms of how "unsafe" it is, should I bring my kevlar?
:laugh:

I m wondering if any students out there are DOs gettin interviews. I am with one interview so far from UVA. Thought I would be hearing from Emory by now with many above hearing from them, but have not so I dont know if that means I m out of that one??? hmmmm...

Question for all, does anyone know if a program is not gonna interview us, will they still send an email saying that ,or you just will not hear from them and two, are most places gonna start giving out interviews or will most wait till nov 1 when deans letters are sent out?

Appreciate any info and good luck to all!

johndean11229 said:
I m wondering if any students out there are DOs gettin interviews. I am with one interview so far from UVA. Thought I would be hearing from Emory by now with many above hearing from them, but have not so I dont know if that means I m out of that one??? hmmmm...

Question for all, does anyone know if a program is not gonna interview us, will they still send an email saying that ,or you just will not hear from them and two, are most places gonna start giving out interviews or will most wait till nov 1 when deans letters are sent out?

Appreciate any info and good luck to all!

I am an MD IMG, applying for psychiatry this coming match. Do you feel that DO American students have a harder time getting matched than US IMGs?

To answer your Q:
1) I have had two interview invitations so far and they have all been via email. A few programs have told me to expect a phone call from them in the coming days for an invite. There are those programs that send you invites/rejections via (post) US mail. I have had a few rejections from programs in the mail (post). From what I have heard MOST of the time a program will not notify if they choose to pass you up for interview.
2) I have worried about this as well, as I have only gotten 2 invites thus far. I did call a few of my top programs, they had said that they have not sent out any interview invites as of yet and are still awaiting more applications, when they reach their "critical mass" they will begin to convene their commitees for application review. Many programs have begun to send out invites however, as is evident by the money posts on this particular forum and others.

I hope I helped you out.

Hey Solideliquid, thanks for the reply!

I do not have the answer to your question as of yet. I think my school is using me though as the definitive example of is there still a discrepancy towards DOs and interviews. I am not trying to show off, or prove myself, but I believe I will be the ultimate example of this as my school fully believes that I should be able to get into the program of my choice with my application. I do not believe this but we will see. I believe in my heart that I should at least receive 5 interviews, hopefully some more! My stats are: top in my class, most A's in every course, 70% on Comlex which means I did better than 70% of those who took it, 8 Honors in my rotations, 5 psych scholarships, one publication, and one on the way, 2 presentations nationally, 3 outstading rec letters from professors at Mt Sinai, LIJ, and former Emory Alum. I really do believe I have done my part. I do not know what more I could have done? So, wherever God takes me is where it was meant to be. So, as of now, I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that the emails will come in slightly more frequently then they have been for the past 3 weeks! Take care, Good luck!

Harbor-UCLA & Johns Hopkins, both by e-mail.

thomas jefferson

atsai3 said:
Duke downloaded but will not be offering interview slots until November 1st. They're waiting for the Dean's Letters (which don't get uploaded until November 1st). It might not be advisable to wait that long to schedule your UNC interviews...

-AT.

Bah. Thanks for the info. I guess I will go ahead and schedule and hope it all works out...

Anyway, interviews I have gotten so far:
UNC
Emory
Wash U
UW
Cincinnati