Interviews and Driving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avenue Q

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know I won't be doing this for almost a year, but I realized while reading another post that I might have a problem with interviews.

I'm from New York City and have never gotten around to learning how to drive, made all the more pathetic by the fact that we have a country house and and car (that my dad drives to work). I've occasionally driven around, and have a permit, but I have never spent much time practicing. When I get back to school I'm going to take driving lessons and hopefully get my licence before the semester ends.

Now, for how many interviews have you had to rent cars from the airport? How often have you driven there and haven't taken public transportation or any kind? Like I said, I should have my licence by then, but I won't be a super experienced driver and going long distances on unfamiliar roads alone might be an issue.

What do you all think (both in terms of the frequency I will be driving, and if it will be an issue for an unexperienced driver)?

Hey, at least this is motivation to really get out there and use my friends cars!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never rented a car for an interview. I considered it once, but that's because I was too cheap to fly into the actual city where my interview was. (I ended up not attending that interview.)

I have driven to several interviews, but I like to drive. Every time I've talked to several people who didn't drive. You can get cabs pretty much anywhere that's big enough to have a med school, though in smaller towns you'll want to call the cab company rather than planning on flagging one down. Also, many hotels have shuttles, and public transportation goes straight to many of the schools.

You really shouldn't have a problem. They usually provide public transportation information along with hotel suggestions and maps and so forth.

lorelei,
how is driving into DC? I have an interview this month at GW and I would prefer to leave early enough to get there by 10 but I've been cautioned that DC traffic is horrific. I'm coming from the north.
Thanks,
Chai

Members don't see this ad :)
ChaiLatte said:
lorelei,
how is driving into DC? I have an interview this month at GW and I would prefer to leave early enough to get there by 10 but I've been cautioned that DC traffic is horrific. I'm coming from the north.
Thanks,
Chai

Coming from the Baltimore direction? Honestly, DC traffic really does suck. I rarely drive into town at morning rush hour, though. Do you know that I-66 is HOV-2 (i.e. carpool) only inside the Beltway until 9 AM? That could cause you problems though I don't know which way you're planning to come. I've never come in from Maryland at any sort of trafficky time.

If I were you, I might actually leave the car at one of the suburban Metro stops and take the subway in. The Foggy Bottom stop (Orange Line) lets you out right at the GWU hospital.

I know that probably isn't very helpful, but if you want to know about specific routes or whatever let me know and I'll try to help out.

I'll be following the GW website directions from NJ:
95 South to 495 West to 355 South to Massachusetts NW to 21st St. According to Mapquest 3.5 hours estimated time. Do you think I'll make it there if I leave at 5am? or is that pushing it?
Thanks.

From Jersey you should be staying overnight.

And, you have to be 25 to rent a car.

Wow. That is dedication! Here's the thing. You're going to hit Baltimore rush hour, then once you pass Baltimore you're going to be into the DC rush hour on 95 and 495. I got opinions from my Maryland-dwelling coworkers, and they say this is a bad idea unless you're leaving at 2 AM. Rush hour in DC means stuff can easily take twice as long as it should.

My old roommate used to drive to Jersey to visit her parents, and she said it was a 4-hour drive in the middle of the night, but easily 6 at any random time of the day.

I think it would be a better idea to drive down the night before. Can you stay with a student host? If not, and you need a place to stay, PM me. I'm a 20-minute Metro ride from GWU.

dude,

you'll be staright. leave at ~5:30 form jerz and you'll be there at 9, no sweat about it.

g'luck with g-dubz.

-a

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I'm gonna play it safe this time and stay overnight with family (I get bad road rage). Lorelei thanks for your generous offer!
BTW, rockit you have to be 21 to rent a car, at least in NJ. I know, because I spent all day yesterday researching the rental companies with the lowest rates. Once you are 25, however, you are no longer charged the $20-50 additional underage fee.

ChaiLatte said:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I'm gonna play it safe this time and stay overnight with family (I get bad road rage). Lorelei thanks for your generous offer!
BTW, rockit you have to be 21 to rent a car, at least in NJ. I know, because I spent all day yesterday researching the rental companies with the lowest rates. Once you are 25, however, you are no longer charged the $20-50 additional underage fee.

Actually, this seems to be more of a car-rental company policy than a legal issue... you do need to be careful, though. I know I was once refused rental on a business trip when I was 23, until my company's travel agent called to confirm they would be financially responsible for the rental.

From some Kiplinger's article I found:

"With few exceptions, Alamo, Avis, Hertz and National require all drivers to be 25 or older. Budget, Dollar, Enterprise and Thrifty rent to drivers over 21, but penalize underage drivers with a daily surcharge. Some even restrict the type of vehicle, making a luxury model or sport utility vehicle off-limits.

If you're under 21, your chances of renting from the big companies are just about nil unless you're a military or government employee or happen to be renting a car in New York, the only state that currently requires car-rental companies to rent to drivers 18 and older."