Interviews and Fourth Year Scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dunkindona

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out when to schedule in vacation to minimize the stress of interview season. At this point, I am definitely psychiatry or neurology bound but am uncertain about the interview seasons for these fields. Can I get an opinion on when I should schedule vacation? I have a two month window...

1. November-December
2. December-January

Members don't see this ad.

by "vacation" I mean time devoted to interviewing

Main "season" is between Nov and Jan, minus some holidays. I am having a hard time actually showing up for rotations!

Members don't see this ad :)
December-January will give you the most bang for your buck I think-you will probaly just start hearing back from most places early November.

I had planned on doing most of my interviews during December-January and scheduled my time off accordingly. I submitted my application as soon as I could and started getting interview offers for November within a few weeks. It turns out most of my interviews are in November-December and I really did not get very many January offers.

PS-I've even had a few October and February offers, FYI

I guess it would help to clarify where I will be applying to get a sense of where I might possibly get interviews. Here is my very early list, in no particular order.

Baylor College of Medicine
Partners
UPenn
UCSF
Columbia
UCLA
UWash
WashU
Stanford
Hopkins

I am an MD/PhD student and will submit early.

sorry ... to get an idea of WHEN I might possibly get interviews.