Interviews Anyone with low DAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddyRDH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyhow here get in an interview with a 16?

Is that really possible?

Members don't see this ad.

eddyRDH said:

Is that really possible?

maybe with residency or affirmative action or if you have mad connections or come from a disadvantaged background.

ive have 7 interviews, five of which are before dec.1, with a 15 and a 17 on two sections...(QR and RC)

Members don't see this ad :)
asd said:
ive have 7 interviews, five of which are before dec.1, with a 15 and a 17 on two sections...(QR and RC)

What is your gpa? did you score high on the others? How about dental experience? I scored a 19 in org chem and 19 in reading comp. The other sections are similar to yours. But, I have a 3.7 science and 3.6 cum. I hope I have a fighting chance.

eddyRDH said:
What is your gpa? did you score high on the others? How about dental experience? I scored a 19 in org chem and 19 in reading comp. The other sections are similar to yours. But, I have a 3.7 science and 3.6 cum. I hope I have a fighting chance.

Anything is possible I have a 17AA 16PAT 19TS, and have 6 interviews, with a lower GPA than yours, just keep your head up. :D

realtalk said:
Anything is possible I have a 17AA 16PAT 19TS, and have 6 interviews, with a lower GPA than yours, just keep your head up. :D
.....with a 4.0 and my father is Gordon Christensen and my Uncle Bush just set aside $25 million of taxpaye...I mean, Trust Fund monies for all six schools...

VegasBabyVegas said:
.....with a 4.0 and my father is Gordon Christensen and my Uncle Bush just set aside $25 million of taxpaye...I mean, Trust Fund monies for all six schools...

Do remember that SDN is NOT characteristic of the applicant pool in general. I think most people get used to reading the forum and seeing the ultra-anal stats and beliving you need a 25+ in each section to get the time of day.

Peter North said:
Do remember that SDN is NOT characteristic of the applicant pool in general. I think most people get used to reading the forum and seeing the ultra-anal stats and beliving you need a 25+ in each section to get the time of day.

Thats right I'm about as poor as they come, from a single family household. Like I said anything is possible.

eddyRDH said:

i scored:

AA: 18
PA: 18
Sci:19
Ochem- 22
Bio- 19
Chem - 18

QR- 15
RC- 17

My GPA is a 3.45 for both Overall and Science, and I go to Union College. I have a lot of research (1 full year plus a term abroad where i did research), and shadowing experience, at dentists offices and plastic surgons offices (at mt. sinai hospital and in a private practice).

I got interviews to BU (10/21), Temple (10/26), Upenn (10/27), Buffalo (11/4), and Pittsburgh (11/21), and I have NOVA (1/11) and Columbia (2/3). I know that Interviews dont mean acceptances, so my DATs could come back to haunt me! But so far so Good. Hopefully on December 1st, i will hear from some schools too.hahaha.
I hope this helps anyone with avg. DATs like me who are afraid they wont get interviews!

eddyRDH said:

You should stick to being a dental Hygienist :D

Peter North said:
is it me, or does anyone else find that peter north said, "ultra-anal stats", to be ironic?...hopefully someone else does

eddyRDH said:

Is that really possible?
Anuthing is possible- Give it your all

dot all ur i's and cross all ur t's-\\if u want it it will happen

berryfremont said:
is it me, or does anyone else find that peter north said, "ultra-anal stats", to be ironic?...hopefully someone else does

Glad to see even on SDN I can find some of my biggest fans

Members don't see this ad :)
berryfremont said:
Huh? Who is Peter North? (Does quick google search.... Oh.... :rolleyes: ) Lets try to keep sodomy and fellatio off of the SDN forums.... except for the occasional brown nosing to our interviewers... if that counts.

By the way, why would anyone want their screen name to be Peter North?

Jeppedo said:
Huh? Who is Peter North? (Does quick google search.... Oh.... :rolleyes: ) Lets try to keep sodomy and fellatio off of the SDN forums.... except for the occasional brown nosing to our interviewers... if that counts.

By the way, why would anyone want their screen name to be Peter North?

The real question is who WOULDN'T want to be Peter North. You can find my pictures online....I'll be your future colleague.

Cheers

eddyRDH said:

Is that really possible?

Hang in there. It will be hard, but when you do get an interview...kick some A$$! I know people who got into schools with taking it 3 times. And nothing above a 17.

I havent gotten an interview yet and its starting to get a bit scary. I have had 1+ years of research and I have taken almost all the upper division electives they recommend to make for a stroger candidate.

rambo2006 said:
I havent gotten an interview yet and its starting to get a bit scary. I have had 1+ years of research and I have taken almost all the upper division electives they recommend to make for a stroger candidate.

You probably just applied late and won't hear from them until after the first round of acceptances. I say this because your stats are great, really solid. If you have all the extras too, then don't worry yet. It's only November...some schools go until March...keep your chin up and keep your fall grades up (this is my plan at least...you never know when you may need these grades again!!).

Blackstars said:
You should stick to being a dental Hygienist :D

Hi all!!!!

Thanks for all of the postive comments!!!!!

I especially like this douchebags comment........... it is people like *Blackstars* who keep me working harder!!! Thanks!

asd said:

What did you get on your DAT Cum.? And YOur G.P.A? Are you a minority pre-dent student?

Last night, I went through 2005 Acceptance Thread.
There was an applicant who had AA16/TS16/PA25 with 4.0 GPA applied to UNC, Harvard, and UOP. He/she received acceptance letters from all schools he/she applied. However, he went to DUKE UNIVERSITY.

Although a lot of us claims that higher ranked undergraduate colleges have a grade inflation, I guess that schools REALLY which undergraduate you attend. Otherwise, he would have not made to UNC, Harvard, and UOP. Schools he applied are considered to be one of the competitive schools.

My point is as long as you attended a well-named school, your modest DAT scores will be excused(?). That's my personal thought. :smuggrin:

swanlake said:
Last night, I went through 2005 Acceptance Thread.
There was an applicant who had AA16/TS16/PA25 with 4.0 GPA applied to UNC, Harvard, and UOP. He/she received acceptance letters from all schools he/she applied. However, he went to DUKE UNIVERSITY.

Although a lot of us claims that higher ranked undergraduate colleges have a grade inflation, I guess that schools REALLY which undergraduate you attend. Otherwise, he would have not made to UNC, Harvard, and UOP. Schools he applied are considered to be one of the competitive schools.

My point is as long as you attended a well-named school, your modest DAT scores will be excused(?). That's my personal thought. :smuggrin:

I definitly think so. any of the top 10 or even top 20 undergrad schools in the US carry a lot of weight

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php

I know a couple who attended top 10/20 schools, my best friend being one, with avg. ( avg in my opinion and by that I mean 19-20 DAT) who got quit a lot of interviews this year. Now I don't know about the number of acceptances but I will let you know after December 1st.

eddyRDH said:

Is that really possible?
I had an interveiw last year when my DAT was a 17/16/17 with a GPA of 3.2(cum.) and 3.1(science). It was to my instate school.....only one that I applied to.

geckel said:
I had an interveiw last year when my DAT was a 17/16/17 with a GPA of 3.2(cum.) and 3.1(science). It was to my instate school.....only one that I applied to.

What state school would that be?

This forum thread is making me feel better.. Thanks guys, keep it going... It's almost Dec 1st and not an interview in sight... I applied to 12 schools, my apps were sent out on sept 15th... got the shaft from 2 of em already, which I already had a feeling I would, my UOP rejection im sure is hot off the press right now and im down to 9 left... C'mon in state schools... big money... big money... clank clank clank..stop... WHAMMY.....