This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanillamilkshake

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ever hear of the expression, "you gotta dress for the job you want"? If the job you want is the men's department at Bloomingdales, go with the style you've described. If you want to be admitted to medical school, take a look at the photos of the physicians on the facutly in the department of medicine or urology (men) or OB (women) and take your cues from them.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I'm similar to you and dig the fashion game, but if there is one time to just stick with traditional and conservative style it is now. You'll never be boosted positively (besides some subconscious bias I guess) for having an cool/stylish outfit, but you sure as heck could be thought of negatively if inappropriately dressed. It is just not worth the risk. Go all out on the fashion game when you get to white coat ceremony.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I tried branching outside of the traditional black suit/white blouse uniform on my first interview and I definitely felt uncomfortable like I stuck out like a sore thumb. I immediately bought a well fitting black suit afterwords! There is nothing wrong with a well fitting suit, but I would stick with something more classic and less trendy! But if the school is not willing to accept you because your suit is too modern, is it really the right school for you?

Reactions: 1 users
If you're a guy, I think you might get a bit more leeway if you're openly gay, active in LBTQ activities, and applying to a liberal school in a big coastal city. Otherwise, it's far more likely to work against you as lots of us 'fogeys' hate the Peewee Herman look. Be memorable for your accomplishments or your story, not for your outfit.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed at a school I wasn't as interested in in a tan suit and funny patterned tie and socks. Got in. Wouldn't have done it if I didn't already have an acceptance though.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Black, grey or navy suit for a guy. Tailored can mean slim, but your pant length should have a standard break. Only ankle showing when you sit. Pattern isn't bad, just be judicious - either tie or shirt, not both. If you didn't get @DokterMom 's PeeWee reference without looking it up, realize most of the faculty and attendings did and that's their impression of that style.

Personally, I avoid black suit, white shirt, solid tie. It looks too much like I'm going to a funeral, not an interview, and makes me feel uncomfortable. I wore a navy suit, gingham shirt, solid tie for my med school interviews and for residency a light gray, windowpane shirt and a solid navy tie.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're a guy, I think you might get a bit more leeway if you're openly gay, active in LBTQ activities, and applying to a liberal school in a big coastal city. Otherwise, it's far more likely to work against you as lots of us 'fogeys' hate the Peewee Herman look. Be memorable for your accomplishments or your story, not for your outfit.

Now you're scaring me. I thought the Peewee Herman look was normal (minus the ugly shoes). I guess I have a lot to learn before I apply. :)

Now you're scaring me. I thought the Peewee Herman look was normal (minus the ugly shoes). I guess I have a lot to learn before I apply. :)

It is the current fashion. But current fashions come and go, and the more extreme the fashion, the more quickly and the farther 'out' it goes. For giggles, Google "leisure suit" which was the current fashion in the 1970's...

Reactions: 3 users
So I know this isn't a fashion forum, but I'm hoping at least some of you are sartorially inclined.
Also, please don't exaggerate what I'm referring to by 'liberty'. I'm wearing a suit and tie. Dark colored.

But I like a more modern fit to my suit (slim, short at the cuffs, short pant leg etc.) whereas I notice most students tend to go with a standard, roomier fit. And almost everyone I know is wearing a white dress shirt. Personally, I don't like white. It seems too bland. I want to wear something like a sky-blue or even a green or yellow.

I know the field of medicine is traditional and conservative, both in its philosophy and in its attire. I don't want to stand out in a bad way. But I do like a bit of chic to the way I dress.

You might know the rules well enough here to benefit, or at least do OK, breaking just one rule to draw attention to yourself and increase your variance. If you think you are a marginal candidate who barely got an interview, high-variance strategies might work in your favor. That being said, the conservative option is definitely the safe one and poor fashion choices may hurt you a bit.

Slim fit is fine, but normal length. Huge no if your malleoli would be visible standing (pretending you're wearing no socks in this case).

Any dark suit is fine. And I'm personally against the traditional thinking that a white button shirt is necessary. Any plain dress shirt is fine so long it matches with your suit and tie.

Members don't see this ad :)
Slim fit is fine, but normal length. Huge no if your malleoli would be visible standing (pretending you're wearing no socks in this case).

Any dark suit is fine. And I'm personally against the traditional thinking that a white button shirt is necessary. Any plain dress shirt is fine so long it matches with your suit and tie.

I concur with the malleoli and with the comment about white shirts. Light blue (not sky blue or green) is an acceptable alternative.

Reactions: 3 users
You will have succeeded if what you wore went unnoticed. Blend into the herd.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Fashion is fine. This is a professional interview. Make sure your suit fits. Dont show up looking like you are wearing your little brothers suit, i.e., sleeves and slacks too short.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I have to agree with everyone else here, on this very important day you want to make sure your outfit is unnoticeable and that you are remembered for you. I'm sure you sense of style is [100% emoji] but do what you can to dress like everyone else to play it safe!

I dont know man but I wore socks with bulldogs on them at my top choice interview and got waitlisted :/

No one will ever hate on a solid navy or charcoal suit, plain white, dark tie (burgundy, navy, charcoal), socks matching your suit, and dark dress shoes (oxfords or derbies) and matching belt. You really want to stand out? Impress with your confidence, attitude, posture, and soft skills. You can spread your sprezzy wings when you're an attending.

But since we're discussing sartorialism, here are some ways you can tastefully elevate the above outfit while remaining conservative:

The devil is in the details
  • Great fitting jacket, pants, and shirt. This is what makes a suit really stand out so shop wisely and don't skimp on tailoring. Your clothes should fit your form well. Pay attention to your jacket's shoulders, length, and fit when buttoned. The lapel width should match your frame. Have your shirt and jacket sleeves hemmed. Your pants' break should match your frame: slight break (if you're shorter/slimmer) to medium break (if you're taller/heftier)
  • A well-pressed dress shirt with crisp collar (dress shirts don't have soft collars). White works best because it looks clean and provides contrast and brightness. But if you really hate white, light blue is acceptable. Military tuck (underwear tuck optional). Standard point or semi-spread (should match your face shape). No button-down collars please
  • A different colored tie from your suit and/or one with a pattern to add contrast. Think pin dots and pencil stripes, not polka dots and thick stripes. Stick to 2 colors only. The tie width that matches your lapel width (appropriate to your frame). For solid ties that are the same color as your suit, choose a different shade. The knot should be appropriate for the shirt collar. No skinny ties please
  • Clean, polished shoes with clean laces. Wear black shoes with charcoal suits and black or dark brown with navy suits. Oxfords are best, but derbies are good too. Some broguing is nice, but leave the wingtips at home. Replace worn out laces regularly. You can tuck the the knot and loops inside the shoes if you want, otherwise tie your laces so the loops and ends lie horizontally across your shoes. Bar lacing for oxfords, crisscross for derbies.
  • A nice dress watch. Leave the bling at home. A leather strap matching your shoes and belt. A metal band should match your belt buckle and tie bar
  • A plain white pocket square with a simple fold
  • A plain, shiny tie bar (matching with your belt buckle and watch). Place between 3rd and 4th button on shirt. Tie bars should be 3/4 the width of your tie
  • Patterned socks, especially if your socks are the same color as your suit. Think thin stripes and argyle. Stick to 2 colors only. Match your sock color to your suit. For solid socks, choose a different shade if your socks are the same color as your suit i.e. a different shade of blue with navy suits. Socks should be tight enough so they don't sag down and over the calf so no skin is shown when you sit down.
On the colors and patterns of ties and socks
For a conservative event like this, stick with up to 1 contrasting color with up to 1 pattern or no contrasting color with up to 2 patterns. For example, for a navy suit, wear a solid charcoal tie with patterned navy socks, a patterned charcoal tie with solid navy (different shade) socks, or a patterned navy tie with patterned navy socks (different patterns). If your personality is more reserved, use less contrasting colors and patterns. Don't let your tie and socks be the exact same color/ shade or pattern.

Stay stylish, my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
No one will ever hate on a solid navy or charcoal suit, plain white, dark tie (burgundy, navy, charcoal), and dark, matching socks and shoes (oxfords or derbies). You really want to stand out? Impress with your confidence, attitude, posture, and soft skills. You can spread your sprezzy wings when you're an attending.

But since we're discussing sartorialism, here are some ways you can tastefully elevate the above outfit while remaining conservative:

• Great fitting jacket, pants, and shirt. This is what makes a suit really stand out so shop wisely and don't skimp on tailoring. Your clothes should fit your form well. Pay attention to your jacket's shoulders, length, and fit when buttoned. The lapel width should match your frame. Have your shirt and jacket sleeves hemmed. Your pants' break should match your frame: slight break (if you're shorter/slimmer) to medium break (if you're taller/heftier)
  • A well-pressed dress shirt with crisp collar (dress shirts don't have soft collars). White works best because it looks clean and provides contrast and brightness. But if you really hate white, light blue is acceptable. Military tuck (underwear tuck optional). Standard point or semi-spread (should match your face shape). No button downs collars please
  • A different colored tie from your suit and/or one with a pattern to add contrast. Think pin dots and pencil stripes, not polka dots and thick stripes. Stick to 2 colors only. The tie width that matches your lapel width (appropriate to your frame). For solid ties that are the same color as your suit, choose a different shade. The knot should be appropriate for the shirt collar. No skinny ties please
  • Clean, polished shoes with clean laces. Wear black shoes with charcoal suits and black or dark brown with navy suits. Oxfords are best, but derbies are good too. Some broguing is nice, but leave the wingtips at home. Replace worn out laces regularly. You can tuck the the knot and loops inside the shoes if you want, otherwise tie your laces so they lie horizontally across your shoes. No bar lacing please (this is for display only)
  • A white pocket square. Don't leave your suit naked
  • A nice dress watch. Leave the bling at home. A leather strap matching your shoes and belt. A metal band should match your belt buckle and tie bar
  • A plain, shiny tie bar (matching with your belt buckle and watch). Place between 3rd and 4th button on shirt. Tie bars should be 3/4 the width of your tie
  • Patterned socks, especially if your socks are the same color as your suit. Think thin stripes and argyle. Stick to 2 colors only. Match your sock color to your suit. For solid socks, choose a different shade if your socks are the same color as your suit i.e. a different shade of blue with navy suits. Socks should be tight enough so they don't sag down and over the calf so no skin is shown when you sit down.
For a conservative event like this, stick with up to 1 contrasting color with up to 1 pattern or no contrasting color with up to 2 patterns. For example, for a navy suit, wear a solid charcoal tie with patterned navy socks, a patterned charcoal tie with solid navy (different shade) socks, or a patterned navy tie with patterned navy socks (different patterns). If your personality is more reserved, use less contrasting colors and patterns. Don't let your tie and socks be the exact same color/ shade or pattern.

You said laces horizontally across the shoes, but no bar lacing. Isn't that bar lacing? What am I missing?

Green and yellow shirts are fine open-collar but you look like a character from the office is you wear one with a tie.

Separates are always more elegant.

Light blue can be well done with a tie but is less formal.

There is no reason to not stand out as well-dressed.

,,Dressing well is a form of good manners" -Tom Ford.

Please do not look at pics of faculty for dressing tips, jesus christ they are a close second to engineers in the fashion game. Engineers mixed with suits from the 90's.

You said laces horizontally across the shoes, but no bar lacing. Isn't that bar lacing? What am I missing?

Sorry, I didn't write that properly. I meant the ends and loop should be across the shoe, not down the vamp. No bar lacing on derbies, only for oxfords.
Ends and loops like this:
criss-cross-dress-shoe-lacing-01.jpg

Not like this:
TomBoyShoes_ColourLaces_medium_6c544103-c6e4-4f2e-99d7-a94ae63763c9_grande.png

So I know this isn't a fashion forum, but I'm hoping at least some of you are sartorially inclined.
Also, please don't exaggerate what I'm referring to by 'liberty'. I'm wearing a suit and tie. Dark colored.

But I like a more modern fit to my suit (slim, short at the cuffs, short pant leg etc.) whereas I notice most students tend to go with a standard, roomier fit. And almost everyone I know is wearing a white dress shirt. Personally, I don't like white. It seems too bland. I want to wear something like a sky-blue or even a green or yellow.

I know the field of medicine is traditional and conservative, both in its philosophy and in its attire. I don't want to stand out in a bad way. But I do like a bit of chic to the way I dress.
I don't understand the style in wearing clothing that looks too small for you

Don't give him any ideas

• Haha
Just keep it simple, not sure why you'd want to stand out with your interview attire, which likely will not work in your favor.

You want your application to make a statement, not your suit. If they're remembering you because of your suit, you're doing it wrong.

Someone showed up at my interview date with a more fitted suit with a little bit of a different collar, and the admin lady told him to fix it so it looked normal if he didn’t want to make a bad impression. Fashion is fine, but I will never understand why people on this forum seem to want to risk making a bad impression by not just dressing conservatively for one day. It’s one day, and it can determine your future. You never know who you are going to get for your interviewer. Your goal should be mitigate as much risk as you can.

Interview suites are not supposed to be memorable.

The one memorable one I have was a Hawaiian guy who came with a flowered shirt and no real suite to our interview. Don't remember much else about him. He did not get in.

• Wow
No one will ever hate on a solid navy or charcoal suit, plain white, dark tie (burgundy, navy, charcoal), socks matching your suit, and dark dress shoes (oxfords or derbies) and matching belt. You really want to stand out? Impress with your confidence, attitude, posture, and soft skills. You can spread your sprezzy wings when you're an attending.

• A well-pressed dress shirt with crisp collar (dress shirts don't have soft collars). White works best because it looks clean and provides contrast and brightness. But if you really hate white, light blue is acceptable. Military tuck (underwear tuck optional). Standard point or semi-spread (should match your face shape). No button downs collars please
  • Clean, polished shoes with clean laces. Wear black shoes with charcoal suits and black or dark brown with navy suits. Oxfords are best, but derbies are good too. Some broguing is nice, but leave the wingtips at home. Replace worn out laces regularly. You can tuck the the knot and loops inside the shoes if you want, otherwise tie your laces so the loops and ends lie horizontally across your shoes. Bar lacing for oxfords, crisscross for derbies.
  • A white pocket square. Don't leave your suit naked

Excellent! My only quibble is with the pocket square. It tends to look a bit "high maintenance," though a plain white one isn't too bad.
I think a satin finish is better than shiny on a tie bar. Tie bars are elective.

Excellent! My only quibble is with the pocket square. It tends to look a bit "high maintenance," though a plain white one isn't too bad.
I think a satin finish is better than shiny on a tie bar. Tie bars are elective.

Fair points. I'll add to the pocket square that it should be plain white with a simple fold. For the tie bar, I like shiny because a watch and belt buckle would likely be shiny as well. Satin is good too.

Fair points. I'll add to the pocket square that it should be plain white with a simple fold. For the tie bar, I like shiny because a watch and belt buckle would likely be shiny as well. Satin is good too.

I would say on the typical MS interview suit from what I have seen (not tailored, goofy shoes, goofy tie, weird looking knot, collar either too big or too small), one should NOT try to add a pocket square in an attempt to class it up. It will backfire!

Not making fun of the ill-fitting suit look whatsoever though, denotes priorities to an extent. Big brains+big heart wrapped in an ill-fitting suit= dressed for success IMO.

I would say on the typical MS interview suit from what I have seen (not tailored, goofy shoes, goofy tie, weird looking knot, collar either too big or too small), one should NOT try to add a pocket square in an attempt to class it up. It will backfire!

Not making fun of the ill-fitting suit look whatsoever though, denotes priorities to an extent. Big brains+big heart wrapped in an ill-fitting suit= dressed for success IMO.

Very true. Adding a pocket square without covering the basics will look a little silly.

I disagree with the second point. Every applicant at the interview has got the brains (and hopefully the heart). Being well-dressed is a bonus on top.

Wearing the oddly fashionable tight and short suit will not come off as fashion forward at an interview with a bunch of middle aged physicians. It will come off as you wwearing someone else’s suit.
There’s more leeway in colors and maybe modest accessories.