Interviews Late in the Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone thought about getting interviews this late in the admissions cycle? I have decent grades and a low average OAT, but was asked to interview for two of the three schools I applied to thus far. Do you suppose these interviews are for alternate spots or are people still being admitted? I should be more excited about the interviews, but I still feel like I have no chance. If someone makes it to the interview process, is it safe to assume that the academic portion of the application is acceptable, but they just want to access personality and drive? I'm not too sure what to think of these interviews. I don't even have my BS degree. Any similar situations, comments, or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on what school you're going to be interviewing at. If it's a school with a small class size and happens to be very popular (ex. SUNY) even if you rock the interview, best case would be the alternate list. However, if it's a school with a bigger class size, you're chances are still good. I would call and ask how many deposits have been made before flying out for interviews because I know how expensive they can get!

I think you have a perfectly good chance in getting in. Just be your best self at the interview. They wouldn't be interviewing if they didn't need more applicants, because most likely, they're counting on the fact that those they've accepted might choose another school and they'll need to fill those seats.

You can also call the schools and ask how many spots are filled so far. If they say that there aren't many spots left, then they are probably overfilling their acceptances in case students back out, etc.
Either way, you should still go to the interviews. It will be great practice!