Interviews prior to MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medapp110

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw an announcement on Choose DO saying that osteopathic schools will be interviewing prior to receiving MCAT scores. However, I have seen no specific schools confirm this. I was wondering if DO schools will actually be interviewing before receiving MCAT scores? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I saw an announcement on Choose DO saying that osteopathic schools will be interviewing prior to receiving MCAT scores. However, I have seen no specific schools confirm this. I was wondering if DO schools will actually be interviewing before receiving MCAT scores? Thanks!
Possibly, however you will not get a decision until your MCAT is received. This can potential be quite costly for applicants who spent hundreds of dollars for travel expenses to interview just to later found out about their below-standard MCAT scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know some MD schools are going to be doing this, so I'm sure at least a couple DO schools would do the same.

Possibly, however you will not get a decision until your MCAT is received. This can potential be quite costly for applicants who spent hundreds of dollars for travel expenses to interview just to later found out about their below-standard MCAT scores.

For this reason, I think students should just take the extra gap year. Not sure how one would build a good school list without a score either.

For some schools the app will not even be put in the queue for review until it is complete and an MCAT is needed to be complete.

Honestly this is incredible. For those of us who were otherwise ready and had our mcat cancelled due to COVID-19, we're essentially screwed.

Podiatry schools will be offering acceptances without MCAT scores, not sure about the DO programs that are affiliated with said Podiatry schools.

Podiatry schools will be offering acceptances without MCAT scores, not sure about the DO programs that are affiliated with said Podiatry schools.

I would bet my very life that there are no DO schools that would offer a spot to a (normal, non-special program) applicant without first receiving an MCAT.

The argument regarding calling pod school = med school is growing thinner

There are DO schools that don't require mcat. IE LECOM. Just saying. I agree MCAT should still be required for admittance even to podiatry school. No way other programs follow podiatry. These are crazy times

I will be applying to 25+ DO schools. I have a 3.5/3.3 (great EC) - 499. I will retake the MCAT. Should I apply ALL schools on my list this May, or should I apply to the new ones.. retake mcat.. THEN apply to the rest of the DO schools. @Goro @Faha

I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

I will be applying to 25+ DO schools. I have a 3.5/3.3 (great EC) - 499. I will retake the MCAT. Should I apply ALL schools on my list this May, or should I apply to the new ones.. retake mcat.. THEN apply to the rest of the DO schools. @Goro @Faha
What are the schools on your list ? Where is your state of residency ?

What are the schools on your list ? Where is your state of residency ?
Michigan is my state residence

MSUCOM(top choice)
MUCOM(top choice)
ATSU-SOMA
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
LECOM (all 3)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
CHSUCOM

With your 499 MCAT you could apply to all those schools except MU-COM and MSUCOM where you would need a higher MCAT score.

People get in with 499 MCAT. Usually newer schools. You should be good if you can get 4 or 5 points higher. I dont think Lecom accepts regular students without MCAT, just their special programs for high school students and PA's.

Does anyone know which DO schools are offering interviews prior to receiving MCAT scores? I know NYITCOM mentioned they would possibly, and LECOM has the AIS option (which I have been offered an interview with them because of that)... But I applied this cycle and am taking MCAT in January. I want more options than possibly just LECOM.

NYCPM was accepting students without MCAT scores last cycle (during April and May of this year). Not sure about the other schools.

Kinda hard to say, as the DO pod schools have relatively standardized class lectures, at least for the first year. Western, a newer school, has the philosophy that "you're a physician first, pod second". The acceptance stats are actually increasing quite a bit, especially the average MCAT score. I believe DMU's pod class last year had an average MCAT of 503 (507 for the DO school).

Of course, if you browse the pod threads, still plenty of students who get accepted to the larger pod schools, with 2.8 sGPAs and low 490 MCAT scores. The boards are also still P/F, so residencies are pretty much determined by grades.

Does anyone know which DO schools are offering interviews prior to receiving MCAT scores? I know NYITCOM mentioned they would possibly, and LECOM has the AIS option (which I have been offered an interview with them because of that)... But I applied this cycle and am taking MCAT in January. I want more options than possibly just LECOM.

I'm in the same boat as you. Did you find any other schools like LECOM?

I'm in the same boat as you. Did you find any other schools like LECOM?
LECOM is the only one I've actually been offered an interview for... Actually doing it this week so fingers crossed. I attended the Choose DO virtual expo and I was able to confirm that VCOM is not offering interviews prior to MCAT. However, I found out that ROWAN, PCOM and NYITCOM are offering interviews prior to receiving MCAT. None of them are offering acceptances until receiving MCAT scores... I also just recently found out that Rocky Vista (Colorado and Utah) are not requiring MCAT scores this year! However, Im in NY and that is way too far for me :) Good luck! Let me know how everything goes for you and if you find out any other schools offering interviews without MCAT. Good luck!! :)

LECOM is the only one I've actually been offered an interview for... Actually doing it this week so fingers crossed. I attended the Choose DO virtual expo and I was able to confirm that VCOM is not offering interviews prior to MCAT. However, I found out that ROWAN, PCOM and NYITCOM are offering interviews prior to receiving MCAT. None of them are offering acceptances until receiving MCAT scores... I also just recently found out that Rocky Vista (Colorado and Utah) are not requiring MCAT scores this year! However, Im in NY and that is way too far for me :) Good luck! Let me know how everything goes for you and if you find out any other schools offering interviews without MCAT. Good luck!! :)

Thank you, appreciate it!