Interviews - should my guests also dress professionally?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csandova

SCO c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I know that I need to dress professional for my interview, maybe a suit with dress pants or a pencil skirt. However, should my mom also wear a suit? Or are slacks and a blouse okay for her?

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Slacks and a blouse are fine, but she should not dress like a layman, you still need to make an impression and your guests are extension of you.

That's what I imagined, thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I know that I need to dress professional for my interview, maybe a suit with dress pants or a pencil skirt. However, should my mom also wear a suit? Or are slacks and a blouse okay for her?

Why is your mom going to your interview? That's kind of odd.

Same thing I was thinking lol. You want to show schools that you are independent and mature. Not hanging on to mommy's skirt.

You are applying for an independent licensed doctoral level profession. When you are in practice, you make a lot of decisions for your patients. You need to be a leader as well as a knowledgeable individual. If you want to be a follower, go join the PA profession. They cannot practice independently and are supervised.

Same thing I was thinking lol. You want to show schools that you are independent and mature. Not hanging on to mommy's skirt.

You are applying for an independent licensed doctoral level profession. When you are in practice, you make a lot of decisions for your patients. You need to be a leader as well as a knowledgeable individual. If you want to be a follower, go join the PA profession. They cannot practice independently and are supervised.

They say you can bring a guest. The schools I'm applying to are on the other end of the country from where I live, my parents want to know where ill possibly be ending up :/ I'm not hanging on to mommy's skirt and she's obviously not coming into the school with me, but she is interested in knowing the area and the apartments :/

I don't see why this is odd or weird

They say you can bring a guest. The schools I'm applying to are on the other end of the country from where I live, my parents want to know where ill possibly be ending up :/ I'm not hanging on to mommy's skirt and she's obviously not coming into the school with me, but she is interested in knowing the area and the apartments :/

I don't see why this is odd or weird

Well, that makes it a lot different. You asked in your original question what your mom should wear for your interview. Why should it make any difference what she should wear if she is not coming to the school?

Originally Posted by Jibslider

By the way, your response was kind of harsh considering that you don't know me or the reasons that I have for bringing a guest, let alone my personal reasons for not traveling alone :/ there was no need for all of that when my inquiry was simply about the dress attire.

Well, that makes it a lot different. You asked in your original question what your mom should wear for your interview. Why should it make any difference what she should wear if she is not coming to the school?

We'll be there longer than 1 day and she'll probably want to see the campus at some point, I want to make a good impression is all.

This post definitely implies your mom will be at your interview with you.

This post definitely implies your mom will be at your interview with you.

Interviews are between the applicant and the interviewer, I've never heard of an interview where the applicant's parents are sitting right there next to them.

My apologies if that's what it sounded like.

Interviews are between the applicant and the interviewer, I've never heard of an interview where the applicant's parents are sitting right there next to them.

My apologies if that's what it sounded like.

Lol that's why everyone was making of you.

Your guests can wear whatever they want, many people had parents or significant others with them at the general meetings. The interview portion is just you and the interviewer

I think this is a perfectly valid question, my dad wanted to tag along to one of my interviews to take part in the tour portion of the day since I'll be going to school in a different country (I'm Canadian).

Slacks and a blouse are fine, but she should not dress like a layman, you still need to make an impression and your guests are extension of you.

This is what most guests on my interviews wore. MANY candidates bring guests, and it's not a problem, but please make sure your guests sit in the back and shut up. Some parents talked over students and didn't give us an opportunity to ask questions-- don't make your potential future classmates start hating you so soon.

For any graduate level schooling - make sure your guests remain in the background. If they get involved, it's a weird and bad sign to the rest of the people there. Bring your mom, but I would say she should not be nearby when you're meeting people. That's just my opinion.

It just gives the wrong vibe.

Way act like a complete jerk, shnurek.You are accusing someone else of hanging onto their mother's skirt while you still live with your parents.

Way act like a complete jerk, shnurek.You are accusing someone else of hanging onto their mother's skirt while you still live with your parents.

Not anymore. Moved out in the summer. But a lot of smart students in my class live with their parents.