Interviews vs rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garfieldmd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask how things are going with you guys, because I'm starting to get a little disheartened.

I submitted my application to programs before Dean's letters (by a few weeks) and got 3 interviews and 2 rejections. Since Dean's letter came out (which I thought was going to help), I've only gotten 3 more interviews but 6 rejections! I read my Dean's letter and it was very supportive - what is the deal? I still have more programs to hear from, but is this the way it's going to be?

I would truly appreciate a reply from other rad hopefuls or those already in the throws of their residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by garfieldmd
I wanted to ask how things are going with you guys, because I'm starting to get a little disheartened.

I submitted my application to programs before Dean's letters (by a few weeks) and got 3 interviews and 2 rejections. Since Dean's letter came out (which I thought was going to help), I've only gotten 3 more interviews but 6 rejections! I read my Dean's letter and it was very supportive - what is the deal? I still have more programs to hear from, but is this the way it's going to be?

I would truly appreciate a reply from other rad hopefuls or those already in the throws of their residency.

This ought to make you feel better...

Applied to: 140

Invites thus far: 3

Rejections thus far: 61

Good luck to you.

Did you get hassled by the folks writing your recommendation letters? Can you afford to go to the interviews that you were invited to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cuts, thought you applied to 180 programs?

Originally posted by NERad
Cuts, thought you applied to 180 programs?

I applied to almost 200 total programs (i.e. including PGY-1 spots & Gas "back-ups"), but only to 140 Rads programs.

You'll have to let us know how things end up Cuts. That's a lot of rejection, don't know if I could handle that...I hope you get a spot though. This will probably the big week for the last gasp of interviews, then they'll trickle in very slowly in December, some last minute invites in January. RSNA is next week, Thanksgiving Thursday so expect a lot of action in the next two days. Hopefully you'll get more invites.

Originally posted by Jim Picotte
You'll have to let us know how things end up Cuts. That's a lot of rejection, don't know if I could handle that...I hope you get a spot though. This will probably the big week for the last gasp of interviews, then they'll trickle in very slowly in December, some last minute invites in January. RSNA is next week, Thanksgiving Thursday so expect a lot of action in the next two days. Hopefully you'll get more invites.

Will do Jim. I'm not handling it all too well myself either. My Step 2 score should be reported to programs within the next week or so... hopefully it'll be good and help me secure a few more interviews. Thanks for the well wishes...

Originally posted by garfieldmd

Sorry to monopolize your thread Garfield. If it's any consolation, you're only 1 interview away from the "magic 7"... the # of interviews that supposedly almost assures a Match...

Thanks for the reply, Cuts. Once your Step 2 scores come out, I'm sure you'll be getting good news from programs. Keep your chin up - I'll try to do the same. Good luck to you!!!

I saw that Michael Jordan IMAX film a coupla summers ago and there is a quote about how many missed shots he has... It's astronomical. He says something like: "I scored over 13,000 points, but I missed over 7000 shots.." Point being, ya gotta take the shot if ya wanna make it.

Good luck!

Just been observing this thread to see the competitiveness of rads (I'm applying to EM...)...

I wish you luck, Dr. Cuts...