SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interviews with department chairs

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by okokok, Nov 30, 2017.

1. okokok

okokok 5+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2012
    My school didn't have a psychiatry department chair and I'm unfamiliar with what their role is in the grand scheme of things and what their role would be in my potential future life as a resident at their institution. I've had interviews with them, but they feel like wasted opportunities that I fumble through by making small talk. I even asked one to help me get a sense of his role and he said, "Oh, meetings mostly." What are some useful things for me to ask or for me to have in mind to notice during these interviews?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Bartelby

Bartelby 10+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2007
    You probably will not interact much with the department chair, and the program director will be more of a regular presence. With that said, often department culture gets set at the top. If you can get a sense of whether the person seems supportive and kind, whether s/he has a particular view of psychiatry (very psychoanaltyic, primarily biological, etc.), how interested s/he is in research, it may give you a sense of how they will shape the department.

kagman, okokok and OldPsychDoc like this.