Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimmyTurner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seem to be getting very bi-polar feedback about what the exact nature of the residency interviews consist of.

On one end, I have been told that interviews are relaxed, informal conversations to get a read mostly on personality and 'fit' for the program since you'll be working intimately with the residents. A few directed questions, but nothing that you can exactly prep for.

The other end is the complete opposite. An hour long quiz (where does this muscle insert, what technique would you use for this procedure, name the top five procedures we perform at our clinic in terms of volume and revenue in the past year), and the classical sort of Google/Apple metaphysical interview questions (if you were a dime that got stuck in a blender, how would you get out?-- How many times a day does a clock's hands overlap?)

Anybody have an interview that lies in between these two ends of the spectrum? I am yet to come across someone who has described somewhat of both. I seem to only get one or the other.

Footnote: it seems the latter of the two descriptions above is due mostly to the fact our boards are minimum competency vs. percentile ranked. Schools can only objectively gauge us on how we fared vs. our classmates (class rank) as opposed to USMLE scores that rank us across every student from every school. I postulate that these cases may also occur for students who are interviewing but did not complete an externship.

Footnote2: I even heard a story of a residency interview asking the 4th year to complete as many pushups as possible. Frankly, I think that it would be a better indicator of a candidate to refuse this task, and walk out (in addition to immediately crossing off this program from my list). We are applying for a program of graduate medical education, not pledging Alpha Zeta Gamma.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I seem to be getting very bi-polar feedback about what the exact nature of the residency interviews consist of.

Footnote2: I even heard a story of a residency interview asking the 4th year to complete as many pushups as possible. Frankly, I think that it would be a better indicator of a candidate to refuse this task, and walk out (in addition to immediately crossing off this program from my list). We are applying for a program of graduate medical education, not pledging Alpha Zeta Gamma.
Lmao holy hell this is interesting. Definitely following this thread

PS. I'd probably walk out too. Someone that asks for that doesn't seem to have much respect for the student and you'd be better off taking your skills elsewhere

Reactions: 1 users
Lmao holy hell this is interesting. Definitely following this thread

PS. I'd probably walk out too. Someone that asks for that doesn't seem to have much respect for the student and you'd be better off taking your skills elsewhere

Hate to break to to y'all, a lot of really good programs are basically fraternities with surgery mixed in.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

On one end, I have been told that interviews are relaxed, informal conversations to get a read mostly on personality and 'fit' for the program since you'll be working intimately with the residents. A few directed questions, but nothing that you can exactly prep for.

The other end is the complete opposite. An hour long quiz (where does this muscle insert, what technique would you use for this procedure, name the top five procedures we perform at our clinic in terms of volume and revenue in the past year), and the classical sort of Google/Apple metaphysical interview questions (if you were a dime that got stuck in a blender, how would you get out?-- How many times a day does a clock's hands overlap?)

Anybody have an interview that lies in between these two ends of the spectrum? I am yet to come across someone who has described somewhat of both. I seem to only get one or the other.

Footnote: it seems the latter of the two descriptions above is due mostly to the fact our boards are minimum competency vs. percentile ranked. Schools can only objectively gauge us on how we fared vs. our classmates (class rank) as opposed to USMLE scores that rank us across every student from every school. I postulate that these cases may also occur for students who are interviewing but did not complete an externship.

Man up for either scenario and everything in between and you'll do just fine. Simple.

Hate to break to to y'all, a lot of really good programs are basically fraternities with surgery mixed in.
Never really understood hazing in frats anyways. Seems stupid and unnecessary. I probably wouldn't fit in with those programs

Never really understood hazing in frats anyways. Seems stupid and unnecessary. I probably wouldn't fit in with those programs

I agree, I wasn't in a frat in college. Just saying that's how it is, you'll see.

To the OP,

From a guy who just finished the interview process, my breakdown was:
Applied to 15 programs, got 11 offers, accepted 8.
Of the 8:
- 3 were completely social, meaning they just asked "why our program?" and "why you?" stuff like that.
- 2 asked me to work up one ED case, followed by a few social questions
- 2 were same same as above (1 case then social questions), followed with a call-back (second) interview the next day.
- 1 consisted of 10 rapid fire questions and that was about it.

My experience wasn't too stress, due to the fact my top two programs were in the "social only" category. I had a few friends that had to get through the hour quiz, answer off the wall questions, or perform random tasks (make a balloon animal). Just depends on where you want to go. During my externships, I found a way to ask or bring up how interviews were going to be conducted, that way I knew what to expect come January. Once you know what's coming, prepare for each one. Seems daunting, but you'll get through it.

Just study and work hard during your externships, and you'll be surprise what you retain for interviews.

Reactions: 5 users
I had a lot of rapid fire questions and social questions. I did about 8 interviews and only had 1 case work up....I was not expecting that.

You seem to be getting bipolar feedback because interviews from program to program are bipolar.

Just ask the residents what their interview is like (or how it's structured) during your externship. They should tell you what to expect and/or give tips on anything you should study for it.

You seem to be getting bipolar feedback because interviews from program to program are bipolar.

Just ask the residents what their interview is like (or how it's structured) during your externship. They should tell you what to expect and/or give tips on anything you should study for it.

Well, aren't we feeling particularly reasonable tonight.

Well, aren't we feeling particularly reasonable tonight.
62fffa25012d2554822d5b1ecaf2f328.jpg

Great advice.