Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I got my first interview. It is at the Medical College of Wisconsin. It is actually scheduled for today at 3:30 pm. I am currently doing a rotation here and they offered me an interview. They said I could either do it while I am here or come back at a later date. I am hoping for a lot of interviews so I chose to get it out of the way early. Wish me luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't seen anyone post any interview invites from programs in the South. Are most of you not applying in the South or just still waiting to hear like me?

Hercules said:
I haven't seen anyone post any interview invites from programs in the South. Are most of you not applying in the South or just still waiting to hear like me?

I know my program (USF) hasn't formally looked at the applicants yet. We're still putting the folders together. I'm not in the ED this month but next month I'll be side by side with the PD and I'll find out what the hizzell is going on.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
QuinnNSU said:
I know my program (USF) hasn't formally looked at the applicants yet. We're still putting the folders together. I'm not in the ED this month but next month I'll be side by side with the PD and I'll find out what the hizzell is going on.

Q

I'm not trying to rush anybody. It just seems like there's some sort of regional delay. Having lived here all my life, I guess I should know by now that things move a little slower down here ;)

I know when I interviewed last year a lot of PDs were shocked to hear I had interview offers before the Dean's letter went out. Be patient, the vast majority of offers don't come until after Nov. 1.

got my first one today too, and it is also from lincoln in the south bronx

roja said:
Which St. Lukes? there are more than one!

congrats everyone. :)

Evo- Now now. Why are you forsaking thenorth. While there are definate trials and tribulations, I love living in the north, for the limited tmie of residency.

and while salaries are somewhat standardized for standard of living, benefits will vary. For example- We get 500 bucks CME every year. We get any confrence witha paper presented paid for (hotel, airfare, stipend). We get ACEP membership paid for. We get subsidized housing (not all that commen in NYC). ETc etc... look at more than salary. Look at benefits.
Hrm. Well, I've a few years before I have to decide. I've always wondered what it would be like to live in snow for a while...... ;) Got any programs in mind?

Got my first! Orlando on Thursday, Dec 16. Would you guys mind posting what days places interview when you get their invitations? Orlando said they interview on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

ECU - Pitt County Memorial

This pleases me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to post their USMLE scores with their interviews. I know those of us who will be going through this next year would find it very helpful. Thanks

utlonghorn50 said:
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to post their USMLE scores with their interviews. I know those of us who will be going through this next year would find it very helpful. Thanks

I think a post like that would probably be better at the end of interview season, so we can just tell you our stats and where all we received interviews. I agree that it would be useful, so call for it again around February, and I'm sure we could put together some good info.

Hercules said:
I think a post like that would probably be better at the end of interview season, so we can just tell you our stats and where all we received interviews. I agree that it would be useful, so call for it again around February, and I'm sure we could put together some good info.

Here, here. Good idea, good idea.

of course, this also feeds the idea that interviews=USMLE score. Remember, ESPECIALLY in EM, its a cummulative package: Step1, gpa, class standing, Dean's letter (many programs don't even offer interviews without them) LOR's, PS, research, extracurricular activities, etc................

No interviews yet... :thumbdown:
No rejections yet either... :thumbup:

I think we are just getting stuff out here in Orlando....everyone just hold on all of the various programs will really get crackin' over the next 6 weeks!

Seaglass-what rotation are you on right now....you have some good posting time, taking after Quinn during his internship? :)

got an interview invite for north shore manhasset today

OSU
North Shore in Manhassett

Nothing from Orlando for me, although they've offered at least one guy at my school who has monster boards.

Medic13z said:
I think we are just getting stuff out here in Orlando....everyone just hold on all of the various programs will really get crackin' over the next 6 weeks!

Seaglass-what rotation are you on right now....you have some good posting time, taking after Quinn during his internship? :)

Yeah seriously. I had some major postage last year (especially during my off service rotations). Now time is a minimum. Excuse me as I leave to go play some craps. BILOXI IN THE HOUSE!
Q

Just finished Anesthesia. Now there's a rotation with some serious down time.

First one today, St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center in Toledo

Got my first interview, also at Toledo.

Medicine ward month.....am i dead yet?

Thanks to those of you who read the original thread I started and that are posting their USMLE scores in addition to interviews.

ECU at Pitt County Memorial. Has anyone ever rotated/visited/interviewed there and would like to give their impressions?

utlonghorn50 said:
Thanks to those of you who read the original thread I started and that are posting their USMLE scores in addition to interviews.

Still waiting on EM interviews, but I got my first transitional year interview invite today. :) (Step 1: 239, Step 2: 244)

Hopefully, i'll get some EM interviews soon, and hopefully at programs that don't need a transitional year! :laugh:

So for all of you that have been offered interviews, how do you go about picking a date? Do you just pick a random date and go? I have to set up one in Toledo and a transitional in CA, and have had trouble figuring out exactly when to go? They give you a huge range of dates....

Its easier when you have a bunch of interviews, so you can schedule them geographically. I'm down in FL but I did a rotation at the Univ of MD, so while I was up in MD during November, I scheduled a lot of the OH/PA interviews. Then during December I scheduled a few more OH/PA/NY programs, 4, in the same week, so I would drive to Philly, interview there, leave directly, drive to Pittsburgh, interview there, etc. Its a little hard to do that now since you only have a few interviews...

Q

QuinnNSU said:
Its easier when you have a bunch of interviews, so you can schedule them geographically. I'm down in FL but I did a rotation at the Univ of MD, so while I was up in MD during November, I scheduled a lot of the OH/PA interviews. Then during December I scheduled a few more OH/PA/NY programs, 4, in the same week, so I would drive to Philly, interview there, leave directly, drive to Pittsburgh, interview there, etc. Its a little hard to do that now since you only have a few interviews...

Q

So should I wait to schedule them? Does the program hold an interview spot for you? I wasn't sure how it worked, if a program offered you an interview early, do you schedule early?

I got St. V's.

joaquin13 said:
So should I wait to schedule them? Does the program hold an interview spot for you? I wasn't sure how it worked, if a program offered you an interview early, do you schedule early?

I made sure to schedule as soon as possible, but that's me. Luckily I got two OH interviews within two days of each other so I scheduled the second interview a day after my first one that I had already scheduled.

Q

Always schedule ASAP - many programs offer more interviews than they have spots knowing some will decline/cancel. It is much easier to reschedule than try to worm your way into a place that's full up.

Time for me to contribute. Invites so far:

MLK
St John at Detroit
York
Wright State
University of Missouri-Kansas City

Since I applied all over the country, I am going to have a tough time grouping my interview. yikes! :scared:

Hey guys, thanks for all the help with posting scores (pretty much noone so far). Those people that commented that it was not a good idea to do it now should read the original thread before hijacking it.

Woo Hoo! I got 3 today! (And I was starting to get worried, as I keep reading about the interviews everyone else is getting!)

UMKC-Truman
Nebraska
Vanderbilt

(And just for you, UTlonghorn: Step 1: 216, Step 2: 245)

First offer in from Texas Tech. I'll have to get the schedule from my next month's rotation before I can accept.

Yeah, happy feet dance!

Take care,
Jeff

Vandy in the affirmative today

EM-DoctorJ said:
Vandy in the affirmative today

Congrats! Was hoping to hear from them. Guess I didn't make the first offer list. Oh well.

Heel,

Thanks. I wouldnt sweat it though, its still early early October. Lot of season left. I am quite tall, maybe they are looking for a new center for the B-ball team. No logic in these things.

Yeah -- let me add to the congrats to all so far receiving interviews! I just received my first from North Shore Manhasset! But I have heard from many people, as it has also been stated here, that it really doesn't start to really roll until the Dean's letter in Nov...

EM-DoctorJ said:
Heel,

Thanks. I wouldnt sweat it though, its still early early October. Lot of season left. I am quite tall, maybe they are looking for a new center for the B-ball team. No logic in these things.

Yeah, I'm not sweating it. I'm pretty sure I could play guard/forward on that basketball team they're recruiting.

Congradulations guys! don't sweat anything.... its so early.. Nov will drive you crazy...

EM-DoctorJ said:
Heel,

Got Vandy's offer last night. I'm going to have to vote against the height requirement since I'm a towering 5'9", but maybe they're looking for football players as well. ;)

utlonghorn: Try to choke down some of that anger. I'm sorry for saying that it would be more beneficial for your class to get a summary of our experiences after it's all over with, but I don't think anyone disagreed with me besides you. That said, I'm happy to post my stats now, but I still think a nice tidy summary thread at the end would be a good idea as well

Step 1: 246
Step 2: not taken yet
Honors in EM away rotation at Vandy
Still waiting on my EM grade from UAB

Hercules said:
Got Vandy's offer last night. I'm going to have to vote against the height requirement since I'm a towering 5'9", but maybe they're looking for football players as well. ;)

utlonghorn: Try to choke down some of that anger. I'm sorry for saying that it would be more beneficial for your class to get a summary of our experiences after it's all over with, but I don't think anyone disagreed with me besides you. That said, I'm happy to post my stats now, but I still think a nice tidy summary thread at the end would be a good idea as well

Step 1: 246
Step 2: not taken yet
Honors in EM away rotation at Vandy
Still waiting on my EM grade from UAB

We have a resident from your school.. :D She rocks...

EM-DoctorJ said:
Heel,
I am quite tall, maybe they are looking for a new center for the B-ball team. No logic in these things.

If they're recruiting you guys for the team, my barely-5'-self must get to be the ball...
:laugh:

roja said:
We have a resident from your school.. :D She rocks...

We all rock down here! Spread the word.. ;)

I didn't realize we had a resident at St. Luke's. Unfortunately, I didn't come onto the EM scene until last year. I'm familiar with where last year's grads went, but I don't know where too many of the people in the classes before them went.