Interviews

Started by Avefenix
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Avefenix

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do programs that offer invitations for interviews know how many interviews you have received beforehand from other institutions? I always wanted to know if that is something they use to screen applicants as well as scores. Any thoughts?
 
A little paranoid, don't you think? Very unlikely. Programs tend to worry about themselves and not other programs because that's all they have time for. Ona different note, if there are certain applicants a program wants to know about (post-interview, rotators, etc.), then calls can be made, yes....but that's about individual applicants on a chair-to-chair or PD-to-PD basis....not about every single one of you.
 
Do programs that offer invitations for interviews know how many interviews you have received beforehand from other institutions? I always wanted to know if that is something they use to screen applicants as well as scores. Any thoughts?

The answer is no.

As a former person who interviewed applicants I can assure you that we don't know how many interviews to which you've been invited. To be quite honest, we never cared. If we invited you we didn't care how competitive you were to other programs. We were quite confident in our ability to screen candidates on paper, though that never really translated to what they were like in person. Ever.

Having said that, at one of my interviews the guy directly asked me how many interviews I got. When I told him "10" he said, "Well, you're going to be an ENT somewhere then."

Never have made up my mind about what he was trying to say about me and my application to his program, but I think he wasn't all that impressed with me anyway.