Intimidated by pre-req sciences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isupsych253

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there ever felt a little intimidated by the pre med science courses before taking them? I've always gotten pretty good grades, especially when I know a certain course is important when it comes to my future. However, I haven't had much experience in science/math courses so I'm feeling a little anxious! Anyone have similar feelings before starting their pre reqs?

Members don't see this ad.

I will admit to be nervous about organic chemistry. The stigma that surrounds this course has got me worried!

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed high school chemistry and my pre-calc teacher made me cry in front of the entire class because of my piss-poor performance.

So I was a lil nervous taking science classes in college.

Good luck to you and hope you find something that works for you as far as mastering the material goes.

Nope. If I was younger, then maybe. But I know I can brute force my way through pretty much anything now. My previous career proved it to myself.
Sometimes you just have to believe and you will do what you believe, whether that is succeed or fail.

That probably doesn't help you much. The best advice I have is...know how to keep track of your progress and if you feel you are slipping at any point, address it ASAP. Whether that be getting a tutor, reading more books, looking online, etc. Just make sure it is addressed.

Edit: One more thing, if you're going back to school from working, take it slow. Heck if you're taking science for the first time, take it slow too, just to get a feel for it. Don't be tempted to load up.

Last edited:
I failed high school chemistry and my pre-calc teacher made me cry in front of the entire class because of my piss-poor performance.

So I was a lil nervous taking science classes in college.

Good luck to you and hope you find something that works for you as far as mastering the material goes.

Wow! So I'm assuming you were able to do better once you got to college? Or are you still in the process of taking your pre reqs?

Nope. If I was younger, then maybe. But I know I can brute force my way through pretty much anything now. My previous career proved it to myself.
Sometimes you just have to believe and you will do what you believe, whether that is succeed or fail.

That probably doesn't help you much. The best advice I have is...know how to keep track of your progress and if you feel you are slipping at any point, address it ASAP. Whether that be getting a tutor, reading more books, looking online, etc. Just make sure it is addressed.

Edit: One more thing, if you're going back to school from working, take it slow. Heck if you're taking science for the first time, take it slow too, just to get a feel for it. Don't be tempted to load up.

Wonderful advice, thanks. I'm not coming back to school from working, I'll graduate in December w/ a degree in psychology, but still need to take all the pre reqs.

As an English major the first time through college, I never took any "real" science courses. I fulfilled my requirements with "cop out" courses like astronomy, atmospheric sciences, and a microbio course for liberal arts majors.

So, going back to school just for the med school prerequisites I was definitely intimidated by the thought of organic chemistry and physics. I really put in the necessary time and effort though and ended up doing great (top score in my ochem class out of more than 200 students!)

I have written extensively on how to succeed in science courses, particularly organic chemistry.

https://medschoolodyssey.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/why-im-not-afraid-of-organic-chemistry/

https://medschoolodyssey.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/168/

And particularly...

https://medschoolodyssey.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/organic-chemistry-is-a-paper-tiger/

As long as you put in the time, stay caught up, and ask questions when you get stuck, you'll be fine. Organic chemistry is not the evil beast that everyone claims it is - a lot of premeds use the horror stories as an excuse for poor performance.

I used McMurry 7ed and the solution manual for doing organic practice problems, helped me a ton.

Get a big dry erase board and put down obscure things like VSEPR theory or ion solubility charts so you can see them daily. By the time I took the MCAT i had photographic recall of a few things because of that.

I failed out of community college 10 years ago too, but funny how things change when you have a light at the end of the tunnel.

yes!

i was not terrified for gen chem, and it kicked my butt.

i was terrified for orgo and found it refreshingly awesome.

i was pretty terrified for physics, and rightly so, because it is by far my worst subject. :laugh:

i did get through them, though. if i can, you can! :)

I can admit to being a little nervous about taking science classes. It was sooo long since my last one in high school. What I found was that as long as I worked hard, science classes are extremely doable. They are not designed to be tricky. Just learn the material. But like previous advice, I would take it slow. I started out with just Biology 1. This semester is Stats, Bio 2 with lab, physics with lab, and organic chemistry (which so far is extremely interesting and not nearly as difficult as I had expected). Bottom line, take them seriously and you will be fine. :thumbup:

Has anyone out there ever felt a little intimidated by the pre med science courses before taking them? I've always gotten pretty good grades, especially when I know a certain course is important when it comes to my future. However, I haven't had much experience in science/math courses so I'm feeling a little anxious! Anyone have similar feelings before starting their pre reqs?
Don't psych yourself out before you even start. You do not have to be a genius to do well in these courses, but you will have to put in some hard work to learn the material. As others have already suggested, starting out slowly, doing practice problems, studying consistently (ideally on a daily basis), and addressing any problems early will go a long way to ensuring that you do well.

On a more specific level, gen chem and physics both require a solid background in algebra, and for physics, trig/pre-calc as well. Make sure that you have adequate math preparation before taking those classes. Biology is a lot of memorization. Most premeds enjoy it, however, since it's the closest to what you're interested in. Organic is a wild card; some people love it and others hate it. I liked organic chem so much that I wound up going to grad school and getting a PhD. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! So I'm assuming you were able to do better once you got to college? Or are you still in the process of taking your pre reqs?

I'm done with college. :laugh: But yes, I changed my study habits and kicked it up a couple of notches after high school.

My advice would be to not cram and if you're having trouble, utilize those office hours!

Thank you ALL for the advice. Reading these posts have been encouraging. I'm not "freaking out" or having a panic attack, because I've figured out that if you are willing to put the work into something, most things are very accomplishable. Thanks again!

^ Great Article, I printed it off!

I have written extensively on how to succeed in science courses, particularly organic chemistry.

https://medschoolodyssey.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/why-im-not-afraid-of-organic-chemistry/

And particularly...

https://medschoolodyssey.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/organic-chemistry-is-a-paper-tiger/

As long as you put in the time, stay caught up, and ask questions when you get stuck, you'll be fine. Organic chemistry is not the evil beast that everyone claims it is - a lot of premeds use the horror stories as an excuse for poor performance.

Really solid advice here. I think it's really important not to get psyched out. Be systematic and disciplined and you should be OK.

It is a little scary! My advice is to first freshen up on your math. You're going to want to be able to do algebra really well (esp. solving busy equations, logs, simultaneous equations, and graphing equations), plus the basics of trig (SOH CAH TOA, geometry problems, etc.), and finally, you'll thank yourself if you understand some basic statistical error analysis first (you need to be able to calc the standard deviation from a data set, use the Student "t' formula, etc.) I'd run through these concepts via khanacademy or an actual class or two if they sound rusty. Bottom line, you don't want to struggle in your science classes because your math is rusty!

Once you're ready, I'd start with Chemistry. (I took Gen Chem & Physics my first year and found them complimentary.) Personally, I think it is better to wait to take cell/molecular biology until after you've had a semester of chem... People that wait tend to do better.

I would like to comment, in addition to jessfalling's post, that I have noticed among my classmates who have problems in chem and physics, it is because their algebra skills are pretty weak. Do you have problems with the quadratic equation, basic geometry, or transposing between polar and cartesian coordinates? can you not factor a simple degree 2 polynomial equation in your head? if so, then a refresher would help.

I've watched people, time and again, enter things into their calculator wrong because they hate the math so much they try to skip a few steps, rather than just write it out.

I would like to comment, in addition to jessfalling's post, that I have noticed among my classmates who have problems in chem and physics, it is because their algebra skills are pretty weak. Do you have problems with the quadratic equation, basic geometry, or transposing between polar and cartesian coordinates? can you not factor a simple degree 2 polynomial equation in your head? if so, then a refresher would help.

I've watched people, time and again, enter things into their calculator wrong because they hate the math so much they try to skip a few steps, rather than just write it out.

This. And most students who struggle DON'T integrate their subjects. Realize this: the sciences are connected. Don't be afraid to make assumptions. Learn what a "right" answer looks like. If you know a physics topic that seems similar but you're in gen chem or ochem and forgot what to do in that class use the physics concept! 9 times out of 10, the principles are same. (They're just called something different or the variables have been altered.)

Really solid advice here. I think it's really important not to get psyched out. Be systematic and disciplined and you should be OK.

James is correct. Organic chemistry has developed a mystique around it that really isn't warranted. Ignore the hype and don't let yourself get suckered into the premed paranoia about organic chemistry. It really is one of the most straightforward and clear courses that premeds get to take. It definitely ranks as one of the top 5 courses I've ever taken. Best of luck to you.

This. And most students who struggle DON'T integrate their subjects. Realize this: the sciences are connected. Don't be afraid to make assumptions. Learn what a "right" answer looks like. If you know a physics topic that seems similar but you're in gen chem or ochem and forgot what to do in that class use the physics concept! 9 times out of 10, the principles are same. (They're just called something different or the variables have been altered.)

There is a lot of clear thinking and scientific maturity baked into this statement. Your goal as a student should be to integrate all the different pieces you're studying into a coherent whole. Over time, you should no longer be thinking in the form of topics: organic chemistry, chemistry, physics, calculus, biology, biochemistry, genetics, etc...they are all different edges of the same subject. The more that comes to be apparent to you, the better you will perform as a student and as a scientist.

I second this. After I left the military I was VERY weak in every aspect of math. I took Chem I and II in 5 week sessions over the last summer, as well as calculus, and had one hell of a time. I basically taught myself enough pre-calc to clep it so I could take calculus. Not the best idea. Look folks, NuttyEngDude is right, if you go in to science classes not having a good grasp of basic algebra and pre-cal techniques, you're screwed. As Rush Limbaugh would say, "you're tying half your brain behind your back before you even start." I learned my lesson and spent my break between the summer and fall session getting sharp on my pre-calculus (yes, after calculus). It has paid dividends in University Physics and Calculus II. In fact, i'm so confident in my math skills now, I'm switching to Chem Engineering as a "fall-back" in case I either change my mind about med school, or don't get in altogether.

In response to the spirit of the post, these science pre-requisite classes aren't that difficult if you're pro-active. I find that due diligence reading through the book, working problem sets EVERY DAY, and brushing up on pre-requisite skills help me succeed. You can't expect to study a few hours before an exam and pass O-Chem or Calc-based physics, or any science subject (except maybe bio! :)) for that matter. A lot of my classmates are pursing medical careers and it's amazing that they think cramming for physics and o-chem finals is appropriate.

Anyhow, off my rant. Just be prepared. Read the chapter before the lecture. Do the homework. Do it again. Then do some more. Take breaks and drink beer when you can.

And particularly...

Hey there - thanks for sharing your links. You say that o-chem is not too hard, but then mention that you received a 77% on an exam. I realize that was one of the highest in the class.... but for example, I have a prof that grades on the straight 90/80/70 scale... no curve, regardless of how poorly folks do. And from what I can tell folks are not doing well in my class.

Hey there - thanks for sharing your links. You say that o-chem is not too hard, but then mention that you received a 77% on an exam. I realize that was one of the highest in the class.... but for example, I have a prof that grades on the straight 90/80/70 scale... no curve, regardless of how poorly folks do. And from what I can tell folks are not doing well in my class.

Well, the course that I took was intended to have that sort of distribution. The exams I took in my course, with the exception of the ACS exam, were far more difficult than the exams that a professor in a standard 90/80/70 class should be giving. If he is, then you have a crappy professor.

I talked to the professor about exams not too long ago and he gave me an interesting perspective. By intentionally covering more material on the exam than could reasonably be completed in the time allotted, he thought that it gave other students the opportunities to show what they knew. So, if he thought that six problems could be reasonably completed in the 90 minutes we got, then he intentionally assigned 8, so that average students would be able to get partial credit on all the problems, instead of drawing a blank and winding up tanking the exam.

In hindsight, it all makes sense - not all organic courses, certainly not mine, are created equally. If it makes you feel any better, I scored in the 95th percentile on the ACS organic chemistry final at the end of the year.

Wow I really <3 this thread.

I decided around February of 2010 that I wanted to be a Physical Therapist but couldn't figure out how to do the prereqs and honestly was also intimidated by them. Two days ago something clicked a nervous breakdown basically happened - I woke up though and decided to go for it. Yesterday was a great day.... until I had a nightmare about a Chemistry course last night from not being able to find the course to sitting there and having no idea what was going on.

I guess for me my logical side is my strong side I can dominate the LSATs but I have no interest in being a lawyer (what led to the nervous breakdown). This on the other hand scares the piss out of me but I want to be a DPT more than anything.

Also some good advice in here - I'm going to get a book on Calculus and instead of starting January with Chemistry I'll start with Statistics to get as much math practice in as possible before going in to the Chemistry, Physics and Anatomy/Physiology coursework.

I felt a bit apprehensive too which i feel is normal as long as it isn't paralysing .you don't want to get to complacent and think I got this when you don't got it(I know bad English). organic chemistry and calculus always set your sympatheic nervous sytem into overdrive ( all over the world). I went to school in a different country and my sister went somewhere else too and though the experiences were different in may ways the recurring theme was that orgo and calculus are tough. just know that it can be done but you might need to put in some extra work for some courses as compared to others