Intraoperative monitoring ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohdil23

Reaction score
Hi,

Is having one month of IONM training during neurophysiology fellowship considered enough to practice IONM or should I get more exposure ?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Is having one month of IONM training during neurophysiology fellowship considered enough to practice IONM or should I get more exposure ?

Thanks

I don't think time matters. There is no board or anything for IONM . If you feel competent then you can do it, at your own risk.

Reactions: 1 user
There is actually a board for it, I think. The ABCN (american board of clinical neurophysiology) offers "tracks" such as LTM (epilepsy monitoring), ICU EEG, etc. One of the tracks if I am not mistaken is IOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is actually a board for it, I think. The ABCN (american board of clinical neurophysiology) offers "tracks" such as LTM (epilepsy monitoring), ICU EEG, etc. One of the tracks if I am not mistaken is IOM.

Ok I stand corrected. I didn't know- thanks!

But may be you could still do it without boards. Im guessing people don't take all tracks (LTM, ICU for eg) when they finish fellowship and still probably do both

I realize this is an old thread, but regarding the same topic of intraoperative neuromonitoring, I have seen both neurologists and PM&R perform IONM. How does a PM&R physician gain the experience enough to perform IONM, since the few IONM fellowships, I believe, do not take PM&R?

I am interested in this topic as well. On other threads, it was suggested that board-certified neurophysiologists, even with little-to-no intraoperative monitoring training, could get IOM jobs, and the companies hiring them would train them. From what I understand, hospitals require ABPN Neurophysiology or Epilepsy certification for IOM, hence companies are willing to hire and train such physicians. Is this accurate? I don't believe PM&R physicians can be newly-credentialed to perform IOM anymore; those who are doing it must have been grandfathered in in the distant past (again, please correct me if I'm wrong).