Intrathecal Dilaudid bolus trial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NEA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the typical conversion you are using for bolus trials? During my fellowship days we used 1:300 like morphine but I always felt that it wasn't adequate. Got an urgent referral for dilaudid IT pump for terminal cancer pain with allergic reaction to po/iv morphine but not iv/PO dilaudid. The patient is on a total of 360 mg PO Oxycodone in 24 hrs with poor pain control. What would be a reasonable bolus trial dose of dilaudid?

Members don't see this ad.

Tunnel a catheter and start 1mg bolus. Then titrate by 0.5mg every 6hrs. This is low and slow in my book for the PO being taken. I think a single shot trial will fail.

Caveat: I do not know what I am talking about as I have taken out more pumps than I put in.

i do less and less of this, and have moved to epidural trials. Bolus catheter with 3-5 mg, then start infusion 40mcg/cc at 4-10 cc/hr and titrate. thats all morphine.

if i was to do single shot IT dilaudid, i would do .1 mg, i believe. but if want to do a epidural catheter, put one in, and do 1 mg bolus, then 10 mcg/cc run at 4-8 an hour. someone chime in on this