Intrest in Specific OMFS Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocpredent236

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on showing interest in specific programs. Due to my dental school schedule, I have little time available to complete many externships. What is the best way to learn more about the program and show interest? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to show interest into a specific program and learn about it is to extern there. That's really the only way to see how residents interact with each other and with the attendings in a genuine way.

Reactions: 1 user
We had an extern come 2 separate week. The fact he came back a 2nd time showed us he meant business

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We had an extern come 2 separate week. The fact he came back a 2nd time showed us he meant business
This is a great topic to explore if you wouldn’t mind sharing some further opinion. I’m a new 3rd year so this is something I’ll be having to decide on soon. Assuming he was normal, does that hold some weight with the PD that he did two separate weeks? I can see some cons for doing this like showing other programs that they aren’t your key focus and this place is, or maybe you’ll leave a bad taste for whatever reason your second week, but the pros may outweigh the cons if you’re really interested in that program and are willing to go for it. What’re your thoughts?

This is a great topic to explore if you wouldn’t mind sharing some further opinion. I’m a new 3rd year so this is something I’ll be having to decide on soon. Assuming he was normal, does that hold some weight with the PD that he did two separate weeks? I can see some cons for doing this like showing other programs that they aren’t your key focus and this place is, or maybe you’ll leave a bad taste for whatever reason your second week, but the pros may outweigh the cons if you’re really interested in that program and are willing to go for it. What’re your thoughts?
I’m just a D2 now but from what I’ve heard is you can do your 2nd week at the program at the very end, even after apps are in. You’ll be a solid extern (hopefully) and you’re fresh in their mind.
But again, just a now D2 who who has heard this from residents. Would love to hear more on it too

Extern, like everyone mentioned. While being an extern has its challenges, I found it to be an moderately valuable learning experience. Navigating the delicate balance between making a positive impression and and not being annoying is tough though.

Residency interview days often come across as disingenuous in all regards. During the interview process, everyone, including applicants, residents, attendings, program directors, and chairs, tends to put on a façade. It becomes a performance on interview day. As challenging as externships may be for dental students, that's when you truly get a genuine glimpse into the true nature of the people in each respective program.

I would also like to hear someone’s thoughts on this. Maybe a past applicant who has experienced this firsthand. I was told to come back if I would like at one place, but I always wondered if that would reflect negatively to other programs.

Sometimes the more you make a girl jealous, the more she comes after you.

You’re trying to pick up a program - it’s okay to make them jealous.

Remember, we’re fighting over you guys more than you’re fighting over us.

Tell them you liked program X and learned a lot during your week, so you went a 2nd time. “oh, so you want to go there?” Says the other PD. And you’ll say “yes, it’s a great program, just like some other great programs too. I was fortunate to get the chance to go twice, so I took it.” Be confident lads.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Another way to demonstrate serious interest is showing attachment to the city.

One of our new PGY-1s, when he externed, he said “I’m from [*city 45 minutes away*], I’ve always dreamed of matching here”. From that point on, he was on our radar and we were gunning for him until the morning he officially matched.

If you say, “Oh, I’m from San Francisco, just checking out different places all over”, you don’t seem interested in us, so we won’t be too interested in you either.

If you are from here, or your buddy is a resident here, or your wife’s family lives around here, or you’re a Cavs #1 fan, or your mentor went here, then we know you’re seriously considering us.

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you so much for all of your answers. I really appreciate it!

Sometimes the more you make a girl jealous, the more she comes after you.

You’re trying to pick up a program - it’s okay to make them jealous.

Remember, we’re fighting over you guys more than you’re fighting over us.

Tell them you liked program X and learned a lot during your week, so you went a 2nd time. “oh, so you want to go there?” Says the other PD. And you’ll say “yes, it’s a great program, just like some other great programs too. I was fortunate to get the chance to go twice, so I took it.” Be confident lads.

I chose my dental school for the OMFS program you guys are already years behind. COVID made the new gunners soft 😉