Intrinsic Motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredr45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few weeks into this semester, I have realized that I am reverting back to the old me; the me who endlessly procrastinated, the me who struggled with bouts of self-doubt and insecurity, and the me who lacked the urgency and inner drive I know I need to succeed. This is a question to all premeds. What motivates you intrinsically? What fuels your inner drive and your inner desire to keep pushing?

Members don't see this ad.

25 years in the wrong career, listening to the wrong people, not pursuing who I am. All that slowed in 2009 in my 1st prereq class and has never waned.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, since I've been wrapping up Psych/Soc studying for the MCAT, I've been using a lot of mcat terminology in my real life and so I apologize if this response seems a little confusing.

I would say that it's important to have an internal "locus of control", meaning that you derive motivation and inspiration internally as opposed to from external sources. I know that I want to be a doctor because it's what I want to do, not because of my parents or any other external reason. As a result, I am able to avoid falling into the trap of "learned helplessness", which is a sense of false inadequacy that often results from having an overly "external" locus of control.

In addition, I like to browse sdn/other websites if I'm looking for solutions to problems like time management or study skills that I may not otherwise know on my own. As for what fuels my desire, well, I don't really have a backup plan after medicine, so if I mess this up I'm pretty much screwed lol. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Money, sex, power - all great motivations. All SLOWLY accumulating throughout this epically long journey.

My ECs (when I was in college) and my current job are what keep me going. I know what brings me a sense of purpose and meaning and I know what I'm good at. Now it's just a matter of getting to where I want to be to combine those two.

It's important to have nonacademic pursuits you enjoy!