Sep 14, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
A few weeks into this semester, I have realized that I am reverting back to the old me; the me who endlessly procrastinated, the me who struggled with bouts of self-doubt and insecurity, and the me who lacked the urgency and inner drive I know I need to succeed. This is a question to all premeds. What motivates you intrinsically? What fuels your inner drive and your inner desire to keep pushing?

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
25 years in the wrong career, listening to the wrong people, not pursuing who I am. All that slowed in 2009 in my 1st prereq class and has never waned.

Reactions: altblue and Romz

yeezuswest

2+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Well, since I've been wrapping up Psych/Soc studying for the MCAT, I've been using a lot of mcat terminology in my real life and so I apologize if this response seems a little confusing.

I would say that it's important to have an internal "locus of control", meaning that you derive motivation and inspiration internally as opposed to from external sources. I know that I want to be a doctor because it's what I want to do, not because of my parents or any other external reason. As a result, I am able to avoid falling into the trap of "learned helplessness", which is a sense of false inadequacy that often results from having an overly "external" locus of control.

In addition, I like to browse sdn/other websites if I'm looking for solutions to problems like time management or study skills that I may not otherwise know on my own. As for what fuels my desire, well, I don't really have a backup plan after medicine, so if I mess this up I'm pretty much screwed lol. Hope this helps.

caffeinemia

5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2014
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Money, sex, power - all great motivations. All SLOWLY accumulating throughout this epically long journey.

mcatjelly

Meow
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
My ECs (when I was in college) and my current job are what keep me going. I know what brings me a sense of purpose and meaning and I know what I'm good at. Now it's just a matter of getting to where I want to be to combine those two.

It's important to have nonacademic pursuits you enjoy!