*INTRO* Gyn Path book suggestions

Started by Aaargh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Aaargh

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an MS4 starting a short path rotation where I will be doing mainly gyn path. Robbins gives me no useful information in terms of reading slides. Blaustein is too much and presumes too much knowledge. I have looked online and can't find anything that just gives me the basics: here's a pap. Here are arrows. Look at this, its a koilocyte. Look at this, its hypochromasia. Look for these 5 things. Etc. Can anyone suggest any online source or book that would approximate what I really need, which is something along the lines of basic gyn path for dummies?
 
Sounds like you are looking for more GYN cytology info.

http://pathology2.jhu.edu/cyto_tutorial/ (good tutorial of cytology, in particular pap smears)

http://www.cytopathology.org/NIH/ (Bethesda system online atlas)

http://dpalm.med.uth.tmc.edu/cytopath/cytologyimages.htm (Just images and diagnoses)

http://www.cytologystuff.com/start.htm ('study' and 'learn' sections)


In terms of surgical path (biopsies, etc)

this is a nice reference for learning to interpret endometrium.

Other than that, most anyone would suggest looking in a general surg path textbook (Like Rosai or Sternberg - easily found in any library or path dep't) and looking at that chapter.
 
Sounds like you are looking for more GYN cytology info.

http://pathology2.jhu.edu/cyto_tutorial/ (good tutorial of cytology, in particular pap smears)

http://www.cytopathology.org/NIH/ (Bethesda system online atlas)

http://dpalm.med.uth.tmc.edu/cytopath/cytologyimages.htm (Just images and diagnoses)

http://www.cytologystuff.com/start.htm ('study' and 'learn' sections)


In terms of surgical path (biopsies, etc)

this is a nice reference for learning to interpret endometrium.

Other than that, most anyone would suggest looking in a general surg path textbook (Like Rosai or Sternberg - easily found in any library or path dep't) and looking at that chapter.

The endometrial biopsy book (its very small, can read it in 1 weekend) is fantastic.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thx for the suggestions....not looking for cytology exclusively, just the example I chose to illustrate the newbie level of intro I needed.
 
these sites are great.

The endometrium book (Diagnosis of Endometrial Biopsies and Curettings: A Practical Approach (Hardcover) ) is excellent as well