Intro Quantitative Methods in Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pomfii

Some say I'm "Special"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How intense is this class? Here's the description:

Introductory Quantitative Methods in Chemistry (4 semester hours) A study of the theory, applications, and calculations involved in the methods of analysis. Theory and practice of volumetric, gravimetric, and spectrophotometric methods.

I'm taking ochem I, bio II, and precal this semester, and I'm trying to decide if taking this one as well would be too much.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Pomfii said:

Introductory Quantitative Methods in Chemistry (4 semester hours) A study of the theory, applications, and calculations involved in the methods of analysis. Theory and practice of volumetric, gravimetric, and spectrophotometric methods.

I'm taking ochem I, bio II, and precal this semester, and I'm trying to decide if taking this one as well would be too much.

I just finished this course at my school. I thought it was the easiest chem class I have ever taken. Our instructor was very laid back though. It's pretty much a more detailed look at some of the principles you learned in Gen. Chem. Lot's of titration calculations. It's good review for the PS section of the MCAT. It is a science course so it is quite a bit of work, just not that hard conceptually.

Pomfii said:

I took the course several years ago (4 years) and found it to be easy but time consuming. The particular one I registered for was independent study which meant I chose to spend 16 hours a week in the lab........I finished in four weeks. So, for those four weeks life was unbearable, but after that........ :)

Members don't see this ad :)
CD said:
I took the course several years ago (4 years) and found it to be easy but time consuming. The particular one I registered for was independent study which meant I chose to spend 16 hours a week in the lab........I finished in four weeks. So, for those four weeks life was unbearable, but after that........ :)

time consuming is my thought, too. this sounds like the analytical chem class i took in college. conceptually, it was pretty easy, but the lab was a pain and took up a lot of time. it might be different at your school, but if it requires you to spend your whole life in lab, i wouldn't recommed taking it unless you really dig chem lab.

I just took a similar course my senior spring and hated it! I think that was mostly the professor, though. I agree with the others that it was very time consuming (mostly the labs). I'm really glad I took it, though, because it's the only class I actually use things from in my job today (I work in a protein purification and crystallization lab), so it was very helpful.

I would recommend taking it, but not this semester with your other difficult and time consuming courses.

I took this course at my school..... don't know how uniform the experience is from place to place..... it was pretty easy in the classroom and easy (conceptually) but high stress and time-intensive in the lab.