Intro to Dentistry? HS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SamTak

Did anyone take some kind of Pre-dentistry course back in high school?
What did you do in the class and is the info you learned any useful?
If your school didn't have any Pre-dentistry would you have taken it?

Members don't see this ad.

My high school didnt have anything like that. Even if they did, I probably wouldnt have taken it... I had no idea what I wanted to do as a career in high school. I didnt figure it out until sophomore year of college.

I doubt highschools have any pre-dental class, but mine had a health professions type class. We got to rotate between different departments in a local hospital; it was pretty cool...

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt highschools have any pre-dental class, but mine had a health professions type class. We got to rotate between different departments in a local hospital; it was pretty cool...

Wrong. Mine did and it was intro to dentistry.
My HS had a second technology building just for the extra classes that you had to apply for and get accepted out of the rest of the 4000 students (Welding, computer/system networking, intro to dentistry, graphic design, etc etc etc)

I had no clue what I wanted to do in highschool, but looking back on it I wish I would've done the intro to dentistry (which was a two year course)... instead I ended up doing two years of graphic design :rolleyes:

I went to a pre-medicine magnet program... basically, the majority of my high school credits aside from the requisite math, english, & history stuff was all geared towards the healthcare field. We also did extensive clinical rotations at a few nursing homes and hospitals. I didn't have any dental specific classes, but we definitely learned about dental stuff. And we competed in Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) which had different categories that you'd take tests or do debates. I always competed in the Dental Terminology category... won 1st place in regionals all four years, 1st in the Florida state competition three times, and placed 6th, 4th, and 1st in the Nation during that last three years of high school.