Intubation/Extubation criteria?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lymanite37

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS-III doing an anesthesia rotation. The doctor I was working with yesterday asked me to research and present to him the criteria for intubation/extubation. I've looked and can't really find anything official. I'm guessing he wants me to tell him what I should see on the monitors and from the pt. before I attempt to intubate/extubate. Is there an official list of criteria for this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS-III doing an anesthesia rotation. The doctor I was working with yesterday asked me to research and present to him the criteria for intubation/extubation. I've looked and can't really find anything official. I'm guessing he wants me to tell him what I should see on the monitors and from the pt. before I attempt to intubate/extubate. Is there an official list of criteria for this? Thanks.

Almost any critical care textbook will have a chapter about these issues. For extubation, be sure to include objective indices such as the Rapid Shallow Breathing Index (the other RSI), NIF and other "mechanics", etc...

other than "I think he'll be ok" make sure:
1) patient spontaneously ventilating
2) reversed adequately: sustained tetany w/o fade > 5 sec is one way to do it.
3) vital signs stable
4) not in stage 2

Book stuff:

RSBI < 100. Respiration rate/tidal volume in Liters.

nif <-20mmhg (you can take off bag and cover hole with hand and have patient suck in while watching pressure gauge

leak test for airway surgeries/long prone case (dunno how useful it is in reality)

TV >10cc/kg
VC > 15cc/kg
Spo2 > 90% with fio2 <40%
RR <35
paco2 <45

something about dead space which I aint calculating in the OR and something about shunt being less than 15%...again, I ain't calculating it. A-a gradient can also be used in some capacity.

You can always ask the patient...